Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
"Safety is our achilles' heel on D, we need to draft one, we haven't replaced Nick Collins yada yada etc."

Having addressed all the usual chatter that pops up when it comes to the safety position, just HOW good does our safety play need to be this year to contend and win a title?
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
When you have Aaron Rodgers, the greatest QB in the league, you can have a LOT of other weaknesses and still "win a title". We could stink at Safety, like we did last year, and if things fell right, still win the Super Bowl.

What we need a Safety for - what we need to shore up various weaknesses on defense in general for - is to become THE dominant team in the NFL. The Packers really are not far from being that.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
joemailman
10 years ago
The Packers certainly need better play at Safety, but they don't necessarily need another Nick Collins to be a very good defense. Last year the Packers safeties were often out of position, did not tackle well, and had 0 INT's. The 0 INT's is I think a reflection that the Packers safeties were not around the ball much when it was in the air. That needs to change.

I think Burnett is a pretty good player who needs to bounce back from a bad year. I never felt Jennings was a good player, so letting him go was addition by subtraction. I'm not sure if Richardson has the coverage skills to be anything more than an in-the-box guy in short yardage situations. Maybe Hyde can make the switch. Maybe Ted Thompson will draft someone in the 1st 3 rounds. If they can at least get some consistent play at the Safety position, I think they have the talent level at the other positions to be a top-10 defense.
nerdmann
10 years ago

The Packers certainly need better play at Safety, but they don't necessarily need another Nick Collins to be a very good defense. Last year the Packers safeties were often out of position, did not tackle well, and had 0 INT's. The 0 INT's is I think a reflection that the Packers safeties were not around the ball much when it was in the air. That needs to change.

I think Burnett is a pretty good player who needs to bounce back from a bad year. I never felt Jennings was a good player, so letting him go was addition by subtraction. I'm not sure if Richardson has the coverage skills to be anything more than an in-the-box guy in short yardage situations. Maybe Hyde can make the switch. Maybe Ted Thompson will draft someone in the 1st 3 rounds. If they can at least get some consistent play at the Safety position, I think they have the talent level at the other positions to be a top-10 defense.

Originally Posted by: joemailman 

It was glaring, but I see it getting fixed. Hyde can play and Richardson showed promise. Agreed he's mainly been an in the box guy so far. But he'll get his shot.

Ted will also draft at least one guy.

It looks like we'll be getting to the QB quite a bit more this season too. That should help. Our main issue is to... STAY HEALTHY.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
10 years ago

When you have Aaron Rodgers, the greatest QB in the league, you can have a LOT of other weaknesses and still "win a title". We could stink at Safety, like we did last year, and if things fell right, still win the Super Bowl.

What we need a Safety for - what we need to shore up various weaknesses on defense in general for - is to become THE dominant team in the NFL. The Packers really are not far from being that.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

This is completely absurd. Wow. How many Super Bowls did we win after losing our Pro Bowl Safety Nick Collins?

Do you realize we had Aaron Rodgers, and a LOT of other weaknesses and still DID NOT win a title?

No. We cannot stink at Safety and still win a Super Bowl. Not going to happen.

"THE dominant team in the NFL?" We were quite far removed from that category for the past two and a half seasons. We've maybe had slim chances to advance, tops. Everything has to go close to perfectly for us to again reach the level of -a- dominant team in the NFL.

I'm not saying that it cannot happen, just that there is an awful lot of work left to do before we can consider ourselves a dominant team again. Adding one -or two- top Safeties from this draft should go a very long way towards bringing Green Bay back to a place of prominence in the NFL. Without that we may be cooked, again.

I firmly believe, had we added Jairus Byrd to our roster this offseason we WOULD be in that dominant category. Now, we have to hope rookies can come in a help us to that level of play. That is a tall order, especially when our top S Morgan Burnett has been stinking up the joint:

Didn’t take expected step forward after signing long-term contract last summer. Missed first three games with hamstring injury and didn’t make season debut until Oct. 6. Struggled in coverage at times with no interceptions, and missed 11 tackles. A total of 71.4 percent of passes thrown in his area were completed, compared to 63.2 percent the year before. Rating of opposing QBs was 135.8 for passes thrown in his area, compared to 83.2 in 2012.

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140111/PKR01/301090497/Packers-2013-grades-Defense 

and...

Morgan Burnett: STATS came up with a category called "Ballhawks," which ranks all defensive players on their total of sacks, interceptions, passes defensed and forced fumbles. Burnett tied for 158th place with five despite playing 82.6% of the snaps. When the Packers signed Burnett on July 15 to an extension averaging $6.19 million they viewed the four-year veteran as the next Nick Collins or Darren Sharper. Based on his play this year, they got someone like Marques Anderson. Burnett's effort and commitment are beyond reproach. He's the best communicator in the back end. He's a more than adequate athlete, has ideal size, runs in the low 4.5s and has roamed wide in the past. Burnett also scored 14 on the Wonderlic, and there remains too much hesitancy in his game. As he pressed to get near the ball, his tackling deteriorated to the point that he led the team with 17 missed tackles. He did lead the safeties in tackles per snap but had just one tackle for loss. He has a $1.5 million roster bonus due March 15. Grade: D-plus.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/defense12-b99180643z1-239782291.html#ixzz2ygD0dtRB 
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

joemailman
10 years ago
The Packers can not win the Super Bowl with he type of Safety play they had last year. There are just too many outstanding QB's in the playoffs who will take advantage of that.

That said, if the Packers can shore up the Safety position, I think they're right there. The Packers lost twice to SF last year, but were very close, having a lead in the 4th quarter of both games. Contrast with 2012 when I thought the 49ers were clearly the superior team, with the Packers struggling just to stay close in those games.

The Packers made strides last year. They need to make one more stride this year. Improve the Safety play.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

This is completely absurd. Wow. How many Super Bowls did we win after losing our Pro Bowl Safety Nick Collins?

Do you realize we had Aaron Rodgers, and a LOT of other weaknesses and still DID NOT win a title?

No. We cannot stink at Safety and still win a Super Bowl. Not going to happen.

"THE dominant team in the NFL?" We were quite far removed from that category for the past two and a half seasons. We've maybe had slim chances to advance, tops. Everything has to go close to perfectly for us to again reach the level of -a- dominant team in the NFL.

I'm not saying that it cannot happen, just that there is an awful lot of work left to do before we can consider ourselves a dominant team again. Adding one -or two- top Safeties from this draft should go a very long way towards bringing Green Bay back to a place of prominence in the NFL. Without that we may be cooked, again.

I firmly believe, had we added Jairus Byrd to our roster this offseason we WOULD be in that dominant category. Now, we have to hope rookies can come in a help us to that level of play. That is a tall order, especially when our top S Morgan Burnett has been stinking up the joint:

Originally Posted by: play2win 

hahahahaha that's what you think, huh?

Your last paragraph, which I agree with most of, seems to contradict the rest of what you wrote. I also wish we had signed Jairus Byrd, but if Ted hits it big with a Safety in the draft or if Hyde or whoever steps up, the result is about the same - which is what I call not far from being dominant and you claimed was absurd.

I did say "if things fell right". We lost to possibly the second best team in the league by 3 points without Matthews and a few other key elements, and with some bad luck. As things stand right now, even before the draft, the Packers should be a much-improved team, and arguably the Niners and Seahawks may not be quite as good. I call that approaching dominance.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
play2win
10 years ago

hahahahaha that's what you think, huh?

Your last paragraph, which I agree with most of, seems to contradict the rest of what you wrote. I also wish we had signed Jairus Byrd, but if Ted hits it big with a Safety in the draft or if Hyde or whoever steps up, the result is about the same - which is what I call not far from being dominant and you claimed was absurd.

I did say "if things fell right". We lost to possibly the second best team in the league by 3 points without Matthews and a few other key elements, and with some bad luck. As things stand right now, even before the draft, the Packers should be a much-improved team, and arguably the Niners and Seahawks may not be quite as good. I call that approaching dominance.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I just don't see how we could stink at Safety like we did last year, as you say, and win it all.

Things don't just fall right when you are devoid of talent at important positions, as opposing teams are as opportunistic as the Packers can be offensively, and will try to exploit those weaknesses endlessly. Two out of the last 3 years we have helped to set NFL records for defensive futility.

The best team in the league was Seattle, and they handed SF their jocks. SF handed us our jocks 4 times in a row, over a two year span. Those are big hurdles when you are talking about GB becoming THE dominant team in the NFL.

Now, let's say Ted Thompson hits it big with 3 defenders in this draft, maybe 4. SS, FS, ILB and DE/NT. Should he happen to realize something remarkable ala the 1981 49ers, where DeBartolo, McVay and Walsh drafted Ronnie Lott at LCB, Eric Wright at RCB and Carlton Williamson at SS, where Lott went on to the Pro Bowl and they together won the SB in their rookie season, and became a dominant team for a very long time, well, that would be extraordinary. That is kind of what we are all hoping Ted is able to pull off this draft.

It would take something along these lines for us to become THE dominant team in the NFL this season.
joemailman
10 years ago
The original question posed in this thread was about how good the Packers Safeties have to be for the Packers to contend and win a title. Not sure what the significance of being THE dominant team is. The last time the Packers won the Super Bowl, they weren't dominant, with a 10-6 record and needing to get in as a wild-card. That team won with guys like Charlie Peprah and Erik Walden as starters, so it's not like every starter has to be rock solid for a team to win a title. They do need competence at the Safety position though. If they can achieve that, plus get guys like Matthews and Hayward back in the lineup they could be pretty formidable.
luigis
10 years ago
I think it should be obvious you are both right.

We might win a SB with Morgan & Clown in the backfield but we'll need more luck and more perfection from the offense.
If we have two great safeties back there then the defense will also create plays taking the pressure off the offense and the need of some luck.

But we already have Rodgers so the interesting thing should be if we would be better with a new Safety, a new DL or a new LB.

Luis
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (10h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (15h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.