texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

Hahaha, now you've got TEXAS on your side. LOL

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Anybody in their right mind is gonna appreciate Aaron Rodgers, nerdman. He's the engine that makes the Packers go - a V-8 fuel injection 427 Corvette engine - and without him, we are stuck. Do you have a dog? If so, I bet you kick him hahahahaha.

And, MT, back to the original question: by unleashing him. Somewhere, this thread or a different one, I can't remember, there was reference to a sequence of plays, I think in the comeback against the Bears, that said it all. Rodgers pass for 7 yds., run 2 yards, run no gain, Rodgers pass for first down on 4th, then pretty much the same thing on down the field. UNLEASH the man! Forget the stupid running for the sake of running! THAT is what will make him better, and more importantly, it will make the team better.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
9 years ago

So your argument against the idea that he is stat whoring is, that he has the BEST STATS EVER?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Kind of confused when it comes to your stat whoring argument. Correct me if i am wrong but you base that on your opinion that Rodgers just wants to throw it deep and refuses to make the higher percentage pass.

Completion percentage is a stat. A very important one for quarterbacks especially because it is used to calculate passer rating. This is where I am confused. If Rodgers is start whoring then why wouldn't he choose to make the higher percentage pass to boost his stats?
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

Anybody in their right mind is gonna appreciate Aaron Rodgers, nerdman. He's the engine that makes the Packers go - a V-8 fuel injection 427 Corvette engine - and without him, we are stuck. Do you have a dog? If so, I bet you kick him hahahahaha.

And, MT, back to the original question: by unleashing him. Somewhere, this thread or a different one, I can't remember, there was reference to a sequence of plays, I think in the comeback against the Bears, that said it all. Rodgers pass for 7 yds., run 2 yards, run no gain, Rodgers pass for first down on 4th, then pretty much the same thing on down the field. UNLEASH the man! Forget the stupid running for the sake of running! THAT is what will make him better, and more importantly, it will make the team better.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Not saying I don't appreciate him.

What I'm saying is, he could be unstoppable.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
9 years ago
Its kind of funny, but on the subject of the slant pass, my recollection from last season and the season before was that we were doing less of that, for whatever reason. And, I have nothing to support that other than what I recall.

If so, I wonder if it might have something to do with the way defenses are playing and evolving. We used to be an incredible screen team, one of the best in the NFL. All of a sudden, DL started really figuring out how to diagnose the screen and bust the play, so effectively across the league, that you hardly ever see the screen anymore. I wonder if this same kind of thing might be happening with the quick slant pass?

One thing I can think of is defenses are playing Aaron Rodgers WAY more honestly than they had before. He has earned their respect, and we see a huge reduction in blitzing from opposing defenses as a result. Blitzing defenders was a perfect scenario for the quick slant, as the vacated area was always susceptible for Rodgers to make the quick throw. Maybe this is playing into our seeing fewer quick slant patterns.

I guess over the last 5 years or so we've seen more slant crosses than pure quick slants, where the two receivers cross close enough together to rub the defender, like a screen. But, even then, the Packers seem to be running far less over the last 2 seasons. We've faced a lot of cover 2 zone as well where the middle is flooded, cover 3, cover 4, which without blitzing, makes completion of the quick slant more difficult.

Jordy has run a bunch of them successfully, as have Finley and Cobby. It just seems like we do this less often.

Sorry, I wish I had some stats on this - super tough to find. I could be totally wrong too, because I can't find any stats of slant passes by Rodgers or across the NFL.
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
Your observations seem valid, but where one door closes, another opens. Opponents' D can shut down screens, but the cost is slightly slowing their pass rush. They can jump the slant, but you have sluggos and other double move stuff that opens up. You can play Aaron Rodgers more honest/less blitzing, but he will take his time and pick you apart. Of course, maybe the other reason for less blitzing is teams have been able to beat our O-Line, particularly our tackles without blitzing. Our O-Line personnel has been kinda mediocre, but our strategy has compensated, and the main reason it all works is because we have the greatest QB in the history of the league - right after 15 or so years of the previous greatest QB in the history of the league. Ain't life grand! We are truly blessed to be Packer fans.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
play2win
9 years ago

Your observations seem valid, but where one door closes, another opens. Opponents' D can shut down screens, but the cost is slightly slowing their pass rush. They can jump the slant, but you have sluggos and other double move stuff that opens up. You can play Aaron Rodgers more honest/less blitzing, but he will take his time and pick you apart. Of course, maybe the other reason for less blitzing is teams have been able to beat our O-Line, particularly our tackles without blitzing. Our O-Line personnel has been kinda mediocre, but our strategy has compensated, and the main reason it all works is because we have the greatest QB in the history of the league - right after 15 or so years of the previous greatest QB in the history of the league. Ain't life grand! We are truly blessed to be Packer fans.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Its true, and this speaks of how great Rodgers really is. He can diagnose and beat just about anything if given the time. We saw how much trouble we had when it really mattered with Newhouse at LT and Barclay at RT a couple seasons back. That all factors in. Also, we didn't really employ a solid running game then.

Things have changed for the better on offense - drastically so. I believe Bakhtiari will be a beast this year with an offseason of NFL conditioning and a year of experience under his belt. Will be nice to have Bulaga back too.

Figure, if Ted pops on one of the top WRs early, this could get even more special. I fully expect him to do that.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (10h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (12h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (15h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (16h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.