porky88
10 years ago
Andrew Quarless averaged 9.8 yards per reception last season. Finley averaged 12 in 2013. Finley averaged 10.9 in 2011, which was his career low. His career average was 12.5. There’s a huge difference between the two. Quarless is a safety valve. He doesn’t do much downfield. He’s just a guy. Production was rarely a problem for Finley. It always came back to health. In that regard, losing Finley doesn’t sting as much because they played a third of their games without him. However, don’t mistake Quarless as an acceptable replacement for the games Finley did indeed play. He’s going to break your heart if you do.

I do like Jarrett Boykin, though. He’s going to replace James Jones with ease. Re-watch week 7 (Browns) and week 8 (Vikings) if you can. He was outstanding in those games. He’s a very impressive route runner. I think he’s a breakout candidate for this offense.

I also think we can’t look at the offense the same way we did a few years ago. The Packers can run the ball now, so they don’t need four or five receivers contributing as was the case in 2011. Eddie Lacy is going to account for a huge chunk of the offense’s production. Between his presence and the emergence of Boykin, the Packers of plenty of offensive threats for 2014.
isocleas2
10 years ago
So we've lost Driver, Jennings, Jones, and Finley and the only additions of note to replace them are Boykin and Bostick. You guys are ok with that? I know Cobb has come into his own and Jordy is still playing great but they're both free agents next year. If Ted doesn't take a WR or TE in the first 3 rounds I'll be shocked and frankly disappointed he isn't doing his job.

I'm still hoping we grab one of the top tight ends in the first and take a flyer on a receiver in the 4th or 5th. With Lacy and the running game taking greater precedence I think a TE is the more prudent need and more useful. I can see a lot of 2 WR/2 TE sets next year where defenses are kept guessing on whether to play the run or pass.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

So we've lost Driver, Jennings, Jones, and Finley and the only additions of note to replace them are Boykin and Bostick. You guys are ok with that? I know Cobb has come into his own and Jordy is still playing great but they're both free agents next year. If Ted doesn't take a WR or TE in the first 3 rounds I'll be shocked and frankly disappointed he isn't doing his job.

I'm still hoping we grab one of the top tight ends in the first and take a flyer on a receiver in the 4th or 5th. With Lacy and the running game taking greater precedence I think a TE is the more prudent need and more useful. I can see a lot of 2 WR/2 TE sets next year where defenses are kept guessing on whether to play the run or pass.

Originally Posted by: isocleas2 

Wait a tick ... do you not know who the rookie of the year is? Allow me to introduce you to Eddie Lacy. He plays RB for the Packers and he's as much a part of the offense as the WR and TE are. And his addition gave balance to the offense.

Donald Driver - probably on the roster one year longer than he needed to be so the #5 easily replaces him.
James Jones - Jarrett Boykin easily replaces him
Greg Jennings - Randall Cobb consumes his catches, no real loss there except more salary cap by letting the Vikings over pay him
Jermichael Finley - there is only three or five TE who can match his talent and effectiveness on the field. Some naive fools with bemoan about his drops, but look it up, Jimmy Graham drops more yet no one says boo about him. Why? Because Graham doesn't speak his mind freely as most of us fans whine that players don't do!!! Irony?

Brandon Bostick has the measurables to equal Finley, but I don't see him being as much of a threat. Defenses really fear Finley and you could tell. Finley's last contract wasn't based on his production as much as it was based on what holes his presence opens for the rest of the offense.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
10 years ago
I think Rodgers' injury last season has a lot to do with what appears to be a change in our offense. We absolutely need to have a resurgence of the running game to protect Aaron. We have three very capable running backs. What remains to be seen is if our new center Tretter and the return of Bulaga will make our offensive line better. Some in here aren't very impressed with Bacteria, but I think he has the "nasty" in him to be a very good run blocker.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago
We will draft another WR, maybe as high as R1. There are some special talents there, and ripe for the picking. The position is fine at this point, but one injury there could really hurt this team. I think Ted nails WR very early in this draft, just to be prudent, and to keep Aaron loaded with weapons.

I think many here will be surprised how well this team functions without Finley. Is he or is he not a prima dona? Rarely do those players help to win championships in a team sport. More often, they are distractions to their teammates and to team focus. Quarless catches what is thrown to him and he is a great, willing blocker, more of a team player. Maybe we draft another TE, check that, we will draft another TE, and we will be fine.

This team is now just a handful of solid players away, along with some good fortune on the injury front, from contending again. S, ILB, WR (and I do think TE would be fine without an addition). Throw in another NT to work a solid rotation with Raji, and a backup C to develop and we are golden.

5 players. Ted Thompson has got to hit perfectly though in this draft. We need 5 players, rookies now, who will be key contributors in 2014, unless he dips back into FA after the draft/roster cutdowns and finds another gem. It is possible.

IMO, our glaring needs are at 3 positions: S, ILB and NT. And, this is trusting Tretter is the man at C. Everything else will be adding depth at key positions. Gravy.

Make no mistake. Mike McCarthy needs upgrades at all of those positions if he is going to realize success again, and his team is going to have to stay healthy. This is kind of a tall order, but it is possible.
musccy
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: isocleas2 

Any FA signing is structured while still planning years down the road, so I'm willing to bet my car that Ted and co. have given a lot of thought to planning not only for Cobb and Nelson, but Boykin as well who becomes a RFA after this season.

I doubt anyone is "OK" with the departure of talented players, either in the organization or this board, but you have to take calculated risks with a salary cap.

As I've said previously, nobody knew who Boykin was 200 days ago and the same could very well be said of White, Dorsey, Harper, or draft picks/FA signings. Ted almost always seems to pick up a late rounder/UDFA the week of the draft. We don't see them in practice daily, so we shouldn't necessarily assume the cupboards are bare just because we haven't seen production on the field (yet). You could argue that Ted has had his best success in the draft/UDFAs with WRs.
musccy
10 years ago

IMO, our glaring needs are at 3 positions: S, ILB and NT. And, this is trusting Tretter is the man at C. Everything else will be adding depth at key positions. Gravy.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I'm a little more nervous at C because we have seen very little from Tretter. This sort of contradicts my previous post about trusting what Ted has with guys we haven't seen yet at WR, but the difference is the white/harper/dorseys are needed as #4 WRs and we need to fill in with a starter at C.

I'm cautiously optimistic with Hyde at S but clearly depth isn't there.

play2win
10 years ago

Any FA signing is structured while still planning years down the road, so I'm willing to bet my car that Ted and co. have given a lot of thought to planning not only for Cobb and Nelson, but Boykin as well who becomes a RFA after this season.

I doubt anyone is "OK" with the departure of talented players, either in the organization or this board, but you have to take calculated risks with a salary cap.

As I've said previously, nobody knew who Boykin was 200 days ago and the same could very well be said of White, Dorsey, Harper, or draft picks/FA signings. Ted almost always seems to pick up a late rounder/UDFA the week of the draft. We don't see them in practice daily, so we shouldn't necessarily assume the cupboards are bare just because we haven't seen production on the field (yet). You could argue that Ted has had his best success in the draft/UDFAs with WRs.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

That is a good point musccy.

There are many players who were drafted late or signed as UDFAs who still might come up big for this team. Barrington in the middle is one I am looking forward to seeing this season. Andy Mulumba is another who may develop into a solid OLB for us. I really like Chris Banjo and Sean Richardson, and I'm hopeful both can make significant contributions in 2014. Banjo seems to play way bigger than his size, and Richardson has the size and if he puts it all together, he could be special. I want to see what he and Hayward do together on the same field. Kevin Dorsey and Miles White both could surprise at WR, as could Chris Harper. Lane Taylor at G could take some very large steps forward, as they were pretty high on him last year.
play2win
10 years ago

I'm a little more nervous at C because we have seen very little from Tretter. This sort of contradicts my previous post about trusting what Ted has with guys we haven't seen yet at WR, but the difference is the white/harper/dorseys are needed as #4 WRs and we need to fill in with a starter at C.

I'm cautiously optimistic with Hyde at S but clearly depth isn't there.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Yeah, they certainly have put a lot of faith in JC Tretter taking over that very important starting C position. Given that, I believe they really, really like what they've seen from him. They must. I can trust the position is his, and that they will add depth at the position in this draft.
DoddPower
10 years ago

Yeah, they certainly have put a lot of faith in JC Tretter taking over that very important starting C position. Given that, I believe they really, really like what they've seen from him. They must. I can trust the position is his, and that they will add depth at the position in this draft.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I think it's just confidence in Tretter AND that they will land a decent player in the draft or through UDFA's or roster cut-down free agents. Between those three options (and possible unrestricted free agents, still), I think they feel an adequate at worst replacement can be found via competition in training camp. I never thought Evan. D. Smith was anything more than adequate-to-average, anyway. He is replaceable, and in fact, it's reasonable to believe that he can be upgraded.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (20h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (21h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.