Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
5 Pages<1234>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#16 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 7:41:23 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 1/11/2013(UTC)
Location: Murray, Kentucky

Applause Given: 345
Applause Received: 421

Peppers picks the Packers

Quote:
It’s unclear how much Peppers has left in the tank. His compensation from the Packers will reveal what his new team thinks of a player who undoubtedly will be moved to outside linebacker in the team’s 3-4 defense.


Hmmmm? How do they know that?
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigbyfan  
#17 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 7:59:47 AM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 78

My guess is he stays at DE. 6-7 285 lb is pretty decent size for a DE and he's been pretty good holding up against the run.

IMO, this is a very smart deal. Low risk/high reward type of deal. They only gave him 7.5 mill guaranteed. If he doesn't work out, they can just cut him and not take any substantial hit. However, if it does work out, the Packers just added both a versatile player along the DL and a veteran leader to show our young guys how to get it done.
blank
thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 3/15/2014(UTC)
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#18 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:03:13 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 1/11/2013(UTC)
Location: Murray, Kentucky

Applause Given: 345
Applause Received: 421

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan Go to Quoted Post
My guess is he stays at DE. 6-7 285 lb is pretty decent size for a DE and he's been pretty good holding up against the run.

IMO, this is a very smart deal. Low risk/high reward type of deal. They only gave him 7.5 mill guaranteed. If he doesn't work out, they can just cut him and not take any substantial hit. However, if it does work out, the Packers just added both a versatile player along the DL and a veteran leader to show our young guys how to get it done.


Well I just had a flash of a thought

Base-DE
2 DL-Nickel OLB

I can't imagine him dropping back in coverage much if they do that. And would it be too much to ask if we can get some combination of Peppers, Clay, Daniels and Perry/Jones/Neal all rushing the QB all at once?
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#19 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:04:01 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 657
Applause Received: 1,347

I don't know why you guys are looking at him as anything more than a designated pass rusher. I doubt he even starts but if he does, it will be at DE. I hope they stick him right next to D. Jones in the locker room. Peppers has been a very good pass rusher in this league for a long time, and I'm sure Rodgers will be glad to have him on our team instead of against him.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
sschind on 3/15/2014(UTC)
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#20 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:05:58 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 1/11/2013(UTC)
Location: Murray, Kentucky

Applause Given: 345
Applause Received: 421

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Peppers has been a very good pass rusher in this league for a long time, and I'm sure Rodgers will be glad to have him on our team instead of against him.


Cutler's reaction to this signing

UserPostedImage

May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 4 applause.
musccy on 3/15/2014(UTC), wpr on 3/15/2014(UTC), nerdmann on 3/15/2014(UTC), Dulak on 3/16/2014(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#21 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:13:35 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 428
Applause Received: 254

Peppers had a 6 year $84 million contract with the Bears - $42 million guaranteed - presumably most of that bonus. I would think that amounts to a HUGE piece of "dead money" under the cap for the Bears.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline DakotaT  
#22 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:13:42 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 657
Applause Received: 1,347

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra Go to Quoted Post
Cutler's reaction to this signing

UserPostedImage



I thought that was Mr. Personality's happy face!
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#23 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:15:57 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,910
Applause Received: 2,117

UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#24 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:27:52 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/28/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 285

now for jarius byrd

wait
call me Dan
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 3/15/2014(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#25 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:29:19 AM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 117
Applause Received: 417

Basically its a 1 year deal for 8.5 million with a friendly cap hit for the Packers in 2014 with limited dead money in 2015 and 2016. Unless part of the 30 million max is other bonuses (Pro Bowl, certain #sacks etc) or includes a really really huge 2016 base salary his cap hit will be well over 10 million in 2015 and 2016.

If he plays well he has already shown his willingness to restructure so I could see him agreeing to something else next season as well.

I guess you can consider this a blockbuster signing for the Packers simply because of the name alone but it is a short term fix. It may turn out to be a great short term fix as I do expect him to contribute a great deal to the Packers pass rush but we will be left with a similar situation next season. Hopefully by then Jones will have come on strong and we can make a seamless transition.

I'm excited because I have seen how disruptive he can be but my excitement is tempered by the fact that he is 34 years old and is pretty much a stopgap fill in. Regardless, I suspect for at least 2014 our pass rush just got a whole lot better.


There is another possible outcome that I will not go into details about until I see the details of this deal but suffice it to say it involves unclear (to me anyway) terminology a lot more than 3.5 million in cap hit this year.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
musccy on 3/15/2014(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#26 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:31:15 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 932

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Peppers had a 6 year $84 million contract with the Bears - $42 million guaranteed - presumably most of that bonus. I would think that amounts to a HUGE piece of "dead money" under the cap for the Bears.


He was in the last year of the deal and I think they reworked it once so instead of 7m they actually have 8.3m in dead money for him this year.
Offline steveishere  
#27 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:32:30 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 932

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 Go to Quoted Post
So basically packers traded eds for peppers


lol more like they traded MD Jennings to the Bears for Peppers.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 3/15/2014(UTC), nerdmann on 3/15/2014(UTC)
Offline rabidgopher04  
#28 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:41:43 AM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra Go to Quoted Post
Cutler's reaction to this signing

UserPostedImage



Actually I am pretty sure it was this:

UserPostedImage

or even this:

UserPostedImage
Do you like bacon?
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 3/15/2014(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#29 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:47:47 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 428
Applause Received: 254

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
now for jarius byrd

wait


It could be done.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline DakotaT  
#30 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:56:17 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 657
Applause Received: 1,347

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
Basically its a 1 year deal for 8.5 million with a friendly cap hit for the Packers in 2014 with limited dead money in 2015 and 2016. Unless part of the 30 million max is other bonuses (Pro Bowl, certain #sacks etc) or includes a really really huge 2016 base salary his cap hit will be well over 10 million in 2015 and 2016.

If he plays well he has already shown his willingness to restructure so I could see him agreeing to something else next season as well.

I guess you can consider this a blockbuster signing for the Packers simply because of the name alone but it is a short term fix. It may turn out to be a great short term fix as I do expect him to contribute a great deal to the Packers pass rush but we will be left with a similar situation next season. Hopefully by then Jones will have come on strong and we can make a seamless transition.

I'm excited because I have seen how disruptive he can be but my excitement is tempered by the fact that he is 34 years old and is pretty much a stopgap fill in. Regardless, I suspect for at least 2014 our pass rush just got a whole lot better.


There is another possible outcome that I will not go into details about until I see the details of this deal but suffice it to say it involves unclear (to me anyway) terminology a lot more than 3.5 million in cap hit this year.


I saw an article somewhere that the Packers are bringing back the elephant end position that Tim Harris use to play. Could it be that Peppers is being brought as D Jones' teacher on how to rush the passer and play the run tough?

I'm very skeptical about how many downs Peppers has in him per game at age 34, but if he can help bring along Jones, then this signing will be well worth it. Hopefully Big Julius will get to end his career with a championship.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 3/15/2014(UTC)
 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
5 Pages<1234>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.240 seconds.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

3h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Smokey

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Dexter_Sinister

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

10h / Random Babble / Smokey

11h / Around The NFL / wpr

11h / Random Babble / Pack93z

15h / Announcements / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

29-Sep / Around The NFL / wpr

29-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

28-Sep / Random Babble / Cheesey

28-Sep / Random Babble / Smokey


Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.