texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

There is a good chance Ted can still fill that safety spot with a veteran presence...in his own style. Chris Clemons and Ryan Clark are still out there. Now, if he doesn't go and pick up one of these guys, I won't be mad but then I might start questioning what in the world he is doing.

These are two veteran guys who can come in with that veteran presence "at the right price" and put the Packers secondary in a better position. I'd prefer Chris Clemons over Ryan Clark but there seems to be a lot more interest for Clemons.

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

Clemons is a 265 pound DE, maybe convertible to OLB - NOT a Safety. Clark, maybe, but he is 34 years old, and not all that good.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
10 years ago
All hell would break loose if the Packers and Patriots switched situations right now. Patriots who have a QB whos window is closing have done nothing but lose good players.
UserPostedImage
10 years ago

Clemons is a 265 pound DE, maybe convertible to OLB - NOT a Safety. Clark, maybe, but he is 34 years old, and not all that good.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Wrong Chris Clemons. Clemons is a 28 year old safety
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Wrong Chris Clemons. Clemons is a 28 year old safety

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 

How about that! There are two of them, and apparently both FAs. I was talking about the guy the Seahawks just released. Yeah, I guess the Dolphins' Chris Clemons is a possibility - how good I don't know.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
I could see the Vikings signing Clemons the safety thinking it was Clemons the LB.

😆 😆 😆 😆
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
Porforis, here's the problem I see with your "FA when 1-2 players away, not if more" analysis: Unless you are sufficiently confident that you can draft well-above-average every year, you now have to chalk 2014 up as a "rebuilding, not-seriously-contending" year.

Now, if Ted had listened to you when the team didn't have more than 1-2 holes, we might not have got to this point. There I agree with you.

But if you wait until that "close enough to taste it" point, and then swing for the big FA action, you now have to be "above average" at FA that one year, even though you haven't been practicing it for however many years you've focused on building near-exclusively on draft-and-develop. And free agency success as a one-off practice is probably as risky as it gets.

If you can turn on UFA expertise as easily as you change temperature at a tap, it would be one thing. But you can't. I don't expect Thompson to hit homeruns every time as a free agent. That's part of the reason I object to people bringing up the Woodson/Pickett examples. Just because he had one real good year with his approach to free agency doesn't mean he's going to succeed like he did that one time in nine years even if he does so in year 10.

IMO, it doesn't matter what reason you use for not playing in free agency most years. If you only play once in a while, you can't have Dave Kingman being the pinch hitter; he strikes out too much and he's a Cub. You have to be an all-world pinch hitter like Manny Mota (lifetime 0.304)was.

Ted's batting average in free agency has been, let's be charitable, 2 hits in 9 years. That's .222. That's Dave Kingman territory. He brings that to bear in years when he needs 1 home run and what happens?

Manny Mota has two World Series rings and 5 NL pennants.

Kingman? He won two home run titles (one despite batting just .204). For the Cubs and the Mets.

Be more active in FA when only one player away? That I agree with. But unless you are the world's greatest at one-off dips into FA (as well as being the world's greatest at drafting-and-developing, which Ted Thompson arguably isn't either), it isn't enough.

I believe that 2014 is unlikely to see the Packers be a serious championship contender even if Ted Thompson goes Woodson/Pickett type playing in FA this year. FA isn't a magic bullet. But I don't see this team getting there within three years if he doesn't either (i) start playing FA differently now or (ii) have hall-of-fame drafts for two of the next three.

He'll improve the team with the draft. He is above average at that, after all. But he is no more likely to fill all the holes in one (or even two) drafts than he is to fill them in one (or two) UFA periods.

I seriously hope I'm wrong. But I fear that contention for any championship bigger than the NFC North is highly unlikely for the next few years. Might get there under a "getting hot at the right time" or "any given Sunday" bit of luck. But IMO that's the wrong model. The way you become a true championship contender, one that careful observers are going to see as one of the 4-5 best teams in the league for several years running, is not by hoping to get hot or hoping the other team doesn't bring their A game. It doesn't come from finessing your way. It comes from seeking to dominate every game for 60 minutes, and from finding away the personnel that CAN dominate for 60 minutes with regularity for more than a few games at the end of the year.

That is not the current Packers.

Not IMO.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago

How much is reasonable to spend to repair a cracked windshield on a car with a blown engine?

When did we see the best Safety play in recent years? Was it coincidentally when our DL was the best? Is Jairus Byrd so good that he can provide pass coverage for 3,4, 5+ seconds? And step up to make TFL on every running play?

We are potentially losing 3 DL that accounted for 40 of the possible 48 starts in 2013. And they weren't very good starts. Who is going to step up and log those starts? That is way more important to me than blowing big money on a S. No S can cover up for bad DL play.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Oh, I agree that DL is a bigger problem than safety.

Then again, I don't see us solving that DL problem either.

Unless you believe that one draft can pick up enough to improve those 40 starts?

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
Packer Fa's signings on final roster 2013.

DE/NT Ryan Pickett (UFA-StL)
CB Tramon Williams

LS Brett Goode

LB Robert Francois

C/G Evan Dietrich-Smith
P Tim Masthay
CB Sam Shields

LB Jamari Lattimore

The verdict still out on these guys
G Don Barclay
TE Brandon Bostick
WR Jarrett Boykin
RB DuJuan Harris
CB James Nixon
S Sean Richardson

To say ted has only hit on 2 Fa's over the past 7 years just isn't true.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago

Packer Fa's signings on final roster 2013.

DE/NT Ryan Pickett (UFA-StL)
CB Tramon Williams

LS Brett Goode

LB Robert Francois

C/G Evan Dietrich-Smith
P Tim Masthay
CB Sam Shields

LB Jamari Lattimore

The verdict still out on these guys
G Don Barclay
TE Brandon Bostick
WR Jarrett Boykin
RB DuJuan Harris
CB James Nixon
S Sean Richardson

To say ted has only hit on 2 Fa's over the past 7 years just isn't true.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

When were the above signed? Were they signed during the March/April free agency period? If so, I stand corrected.

My understanding was they were signed either: (i) off the street before the opening of full UFA or (ii) after the draft either right out of college or with little or no actual active-roster experience, much less starting level experience.

My 2 in 9 years (not 2 in 7, by the way) was referring only to the period of UFA between beginning of March and the draft.

Pickett was one of my 2 successes (the other was Woodson).
Tramon -- signed undrafted by Houston, released in final cuts. Picked up midseason by GB. Zero active roster experience.
Brett Goode -- signed undrafted by Jacksonville. Released, re-signed next offseason, released again. Zero active roster before coming to GB.
Robert Francois -- undrafted, signed by Minnesota. Released in August. Signed by Detroit. Released. Zero active roster experience before coming to GB.
Dietrich-Smith -- undrafted, signed by GB. On roster for a year. Cut, signed and played a whole month for Seattle before being cut. Resigned on December 31, 2010. One month playing for another team. IMO a stretch counting him, and he never saw March/April UFA before this year.
Masthay -- undrafted, signed by Colts, released pre-season. SIgned to a reserve contract in January. Zero active roster experience prior to GB.
Shields -- undrafted. Obvious home run by TT, but also zero NFL experience prior to GB.
Lattimore -- undrafted. Zero NFL experience prior to GB. Not even pre-season.
Barclay, Bostick, Boykin. Undrafted. Zero NFL experience prior to GB. Not even pre-season.
Dujuan Harris -- Undrafted, signed by Jacksonville. On roster one year, released next preseason. Signed by preseason and released before season started. Picked up by GB for practice squad several weeks into season. Made active roster in December of 2012. One whole year of non-GB active season experience.
James Nixon. Signed undrafted out of college by GB. One year on PS. Active roster until went to IR last year. Zero non-GB NFL experience.
Sean Richardson. Signed undrafted out of college by GB. Zero non-GB experience.

So, out of the other 13 "free agents", they had a total of year and one month of NFL regular-season experience outside of GB. Or, on average, one month each. With the exception of Dietrich-Smith, who was a GB player for all but a month of his NFL experience, only Harris had any NFL experience outside of GB at all.

This discussion is about whether Ted Thompson should be more active in going after players with NFL experience. No one is criticizing his approach to college players, drafted or undrafted, except insofar as we say he needs to be farther above average if he's not going to rely more heavily on picking up NFL experience gained from other teams. Indeed, I don't know of anyone anytime who has criticized his record for picking up undrafted free agents at all.

I stand by my claim. If you want to claim that "free agent record" should approach "everyone not drafted by GB" as equivalent actions for counting "free agent success"? Fine. It does have the virtue of simplicity, I suppose.

I must, respectfully, disagree.

For the kind of FA action I (and I believe others) have been advocating, he has had two big successes. Pickett and Woodson. Both in 2006. And we just started his 10th UFA period. For me, it is 2 in 9. Admittedly, two home runs. But still only 2 in 9.

play2win
10 years ago
And, just those two. Hasn't done anything of note since 2006 in FA, the FA we are talking about here. That's 8 years...

UDFAs and street FAs don't count in this discussion IMO. We are talking about adding experienced veteran talent. 2 players thus far, in 8 years.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (30m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.