Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline gbguy20  
#16 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:56:59 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 280

shields
call me Dan
Offline DakotaT  
#17 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 3:31:52 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,295

If Cleveland really wants to pay Shields 7 or 8 million, they can have him and we'll move on. Just frees up all our money for other players. We'll just be drafting a corner with one of our top three picks and hope Hayward, House, and Hyde can step up. Shields is not worth that kind of coin, and we should be happy for him and appreciate his contributions to our championship and those awesome wins in Soldier Field.
UserPostedImage
Offline porky88  
#18 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 4:27:51 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 177
Applause Received: 331

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 Go to Quoted Post
Now would you rather pay Shields or Alterraun Verner?

Verner is better.

Shields is a good player, but he's not consistent enough to be great. He’s still young, so he could develop into a great player, but I haven’t seen him sustain success. I don’t trust him on an island against an elite receiver. He needs help, which rather defeats the purpose of paying him top dollar.

Now, I absolutely want Green Bay to re-sign him, but I don’t think losing him would be a crushing blow. Frankly, my preference is to prioritize Jermichael Finley over Shields.

thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 3/2/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#19 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 12:19:58 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,832
Applause Received: 1,978

cornerback Brent Grimes via a deal worth, per multiple reports, $32 million over four years

I think that pretty much sets the bar for Sam Shields. I'd like him back, but I just don't think he's worth that kinda cash per year.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline DakotaT  
#20 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 12:29:09 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,295

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
cornerback Brent Grimes via a deal worth, per multiple reports, $32 million over four years

I think that pretty much sets the bar for Sam Shields. I'd like him back, but I just don't think he's worth that kinda cash per year.

$8M a year for Grimes? What the hell is Seattle going to have to pay Sherman? We have pretty decent corners behind Shields. Let's use the money strengthening other positions. Maybe renegotiating Tramon's contract to lock him up for another 3 years is in the cards too.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#21 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 3:30:18 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 224

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
$8M a year for Grimes? What the hell is Seattle going to have to pay Sherman? We have pretty decent corners behind Shields. Let's use the money strengthening other positions. Maybe renegotiating Tramon's contract to lock him up for another 3 years is in the cards too.

I think this sets the market for Shields at about $7 million per year, and that's still a bargain. Grimes is 4 years older and no better. Sherman is damn good, but he has the advantage of playing on a team with a lot more pass rush. I'm not so sure he's worth much more than Shields.

5 years for $35 million sounds about right. We can save $4-5 million or more by redoing Tramon's contract, and Shields' first year cap number should be no more, maybe even less than that if they handle the bonus right.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline dhazer  
#22 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 4:02:01 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 190

Quote:
The Green Bay Packers are trying to re-sign impending free-agent CB Sam Shields to a contract worth less than $6 million a season.
Comment | Source: NFL Network - Ian Rapoport - See more at: http://www.kffl.com/hotw...e=3#sthash.whLqVtWK.dpuf
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#23 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 4:24:35 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 247
Applause Received: 365

Grimes deal was for 4 yrs 32 mil, with and here it is, 16MIL GUARANTEED.

Ted still has until March 8th to make Shields an offer, but reports are now saying Sam and his agent have cut off negotiations and are going to test FA.

To bad Ted let this one play out, Shields all but gone.

Browns have 96+Mil to spend, watch and see if they don't throw a bunch Sams way, and you can't blame him when he takes it.

Gonna be interesting though just how much guaranteed money he gets, Agents like Rosenhaus are going to try and inflate his clients contract, because he gets his % whether the player gets paid the whole amount or not.

Sam could sign a 4yr 44 million dollar contract, but if only 14 million is guaranteed, well that's just about all that contract is worth.

Getting ready for silent Ted until around March 18th.

“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
Offline Cheesey  
#24 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 5:10:06 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

I wish they could make these players sign with small amounts and make it with big money in incentives. Make them EARN the "big bucks".

I hope we can keep him, as our D is horrible with him and would be even worse without him.

But once again the over inflated ego will probably prevail.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#25 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 7:19:33 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 224

Originally Posted by: Cheesey Go to Quoted Post
I wish they could make these players sign with small amounts and make it with big money in incentives. Make them EARN the "big bucks".

I hope we can keep him, as our D is horrible with him and would be even worse without him.

But once again the over inflated ego will probably prevail.

You can't do that, of course, unless everybody does that, and agreeing that way would be collusion or something like that - not legal.

The Miami/Grimes contract seems to mean the Dolphins have a lot of cap room, and are front loading the contract. Cleveland might be in that situation too, I don't know. A confident/younger player maybe would prefer a longer term higher dollar contract - thinking that he will stay at the top of his game for the duration of the contract. Just because a player COULD be cut the last year or two of a contract doesn't mean he WILL be cut, and he could use that contract to parlay it into an advantageous restructured deal. Tramon may do something like that; Champ Bailey with Denver too. If I was Shields, I think I'd be thinking more that way than "get the guaranteed money cuz I'm probably gonna get hurt or slow down".

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Rss Feed