Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 6:23:50 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,887
Applause Received: 2,086

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
They certainly can and should - could and should even if the cap limit hadn't been raised, but like was said about Shields above, it will probably be a little bit more expensive now.

The salary cap could be $133 million or $200 million, that doesn't matter because ALL teams were given the same cap. It doesn't help the Packers anymore than it hurts another team. We are experiencing one of the most wicked winters in Green Bay history. In fact, we have had the most sub zero temperatures ever this winter. You think people wanna come up here in this? It's going to take a lot of money.

Best thing would be for Charles Woodson to retire, take a entry level coaching position with the Packers and it would be wise for the Packers to have him tag along when wooing potential free agent signees.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 3/4/2014(UTC), DoddPower on 3/4/2014(UTC)
Offline yooperfan  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:31:40 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 561
Applause Received: 255

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
The salary cap could be $133 million or $200 million, that doesn't matter because ALL teams were given the same cap. It doesn't help the Packers anymore than it hurts another team. We are experiencing one of the most wicked winters in Green Bay history. In fact, we have had the most sub zero temperatures ever this winter. You think people wanna come up here in this? It's going to take a lot of money.

Best thing would be for Charles Woodson to retire, take a entry level coaching position with the Packers and it would be wise for the Packers to have him tag along when wooing potential free agent signees.

I like your Woodson idea!

Offline texaspackerbacker  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:12:41 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 416
Applause Received: 245

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

I like your Woodson idea too, but not the idea that cold winters or whatever are much of a factor for free agents. It certainly doesn't mean the Packers need to pay more, and the strong hope for playoffs/Super Bowl/Ring ought to mean maybe we get players for a little bit less.

All I meant about costing more money is the obvious: more ability for all teams means more likelihood somebody will pay bigger money - essentially what you said - it neither helps nor hurts. That's assuming Thompson understands the need to go up as the market price goes up - which he certainly should.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline DoddPower  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 1:49:39 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,953
Applause Received: 466

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I like your Woodson idea too, but not the idea that cold winters or whatever are much of a factor for free agents. It certainly doesn't mean the Packers need to pay more, and the strong hope for playoffs/Super Bowl/Ring ought to mean maybe we get players for a little bit less.

All I meant about costing more money is the obvious: more ability for all teams means more likelihood somebody will pay bigger money - essentially what you said - it neither helps nor hurts. That's assuming Thompson understands the need to go up as the market price goes up - which he certainly should.

If a player could make the same amount of money to live in San Diego or Green Bay, I think many players would strongly lean towards San Diego. Who could blame them, it's one of the most beautiful cities in the United States, and the weather is amazing. It's a much bigger city, so there is much more to do. There's definitely a reason why Aaron Rodgers calls the place home in the off season. The Chargers are annual playoff contenders, too, although not really Super Bowl contenders. But the Packers haven't been lately, either.

I think location has a huge impact on players decisions. Yes, being the best and achieving the pinnacle of your business is a great thing, but there are probably many of us on this very forum that are happy just to have a good job that meets their needs. Some of us aren't willing to do everything it takes to be the absolute best at what they do. After all, for some, there is more to life than just work. I have no doubt several NFL players feel that same way, whether it's in the best interest of their careers, or not. Ultimately, it's just a job.

Offline gbguy20  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 5:44:12 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 285

jarius byrd turned down a 4 year 38.5 million dollar contract from the bills

that would have made him the leagues highest paid safety

guess we're not getting him.

my dreams are crushed.

plz resign shields :(
call me Dan
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:13:41 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 416
Applause Received: 245

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
If a player could make the same amount of money to live in San Diego or Green Bay, I think many players would strongly lean towards San Diego. Who could blame them, it's one of the most beautiful cities in the United States, and the weather is amazing. It's a much bigger city, so there is much more to do. There's definitely a reason why Aaron Rodgers calls the place home in the off season. The Chargers are annual playoff contenders, too, although not really Super Bowl contenders. But the Packers haven't been lately, either.

I think location has a huge impact on players decisions. Yes, being the best and achieving the pinnacle of your business is a great thing, but there are probably many of us on this very forum that are happy just to have a good job that meets their needs. Some of us aren't willing to do everything it takes to be the absolute best at what they do. After all, for some, there is more to life than just work. I have no doubt several NFL players feel that same way, whether it's in the best interest of their careers, or not. Ultimately, it's just a job.

It's possible you are right, but I don't think most players are that shallow. A Great Man once said, "Winning isn't everything, it's the ONLY thing". Things may have changed in a half century or so, but I find it hard to believe nice weather trumps that. The Chargers aren't quite as "annual" as the Packers. And as Aaron Rodgers knows, there is always the off-season. Somehow, I don't think Ol' Vince would care for your "just a job" comment either.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline musccy  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:29:58 PM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 220
Applause Received: 199

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post

my dreams are crushed.

Ouch. Well Ward apparently doesn't want to resign with Cleveland. I'm not sure that he's the answer, but might be cheaper.

Offline sschind  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:32:23 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 116
Applause Received: 412

IMO for the majority of free agents the top 5 priorities are:

1 money
2 more money
3 contender
4 team (could mean city they play in)
5 money

The majority of the time they will take the most money. If contract offers are equal a player might opt for a contender. If two contenders offer the same amount they may take the actual teams into consideration.

As far as the cap going up meaning it may be more difficult to sign Shields I could see it being a factor. Yeah each teams cap went up by the same amount but if Cleveland now has an extra 8 million they may be more inclined to throw an extra couple at Sam and if the Packers are only set to pay a certain amount the extra may put his number out of reach of what Ted Thompson is willing to pay.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 3/4/2014(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:48:01 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,953
Applause Received: 466

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
The majority of the time they will take the most money. If contract offers are equal a player might opt for a contender. If two contenders offer the same amount they may take the actual teams into consideration.

This is my main point. All things equal, a team like Green Bay will generally have to pay more for many (or most) players than a "more desirable" team. The current difference between the Chargers and the Packers isn't nearly as great as some of us would like to think right now. Even "bad" weather cities like Seattle or San Francisco are likely more desirable than Green Bay to many. There's a reason multiple free agents talk about wanting to play for Seattle (James Jones and J. Finley come to mind). It's a great team, and in a pretty great city. That's a pretty sweet deal to still be paid millions of dollars. Most of those guys are going to get paid millions of dollars anywhere they go. I agree most players will take the money first and foremost, but I don't think many would take $500,000 extra dollars or something small like that to come to Green Bay if they had an option to go to somewhere they perceived to be better. Of course, there are always exceptions, but with the case of Green Bay, I think they are just that: exceptions.

If I was a player, I would try to get the most money I could on the best team I could. If the salary difference between two relatively similar teams was only 5-10%, I'm pretty sure I would factor in location. Aaron Rodgers knows he always has the off season to be in San Diego, but that means for a good chunk of the year, he's essentially away from his home. Why do something like that if you don't have to? Find a good enough situation and home can be where the team is, much like several players do with Green Bay.

It's great if a player eats, sleeps, and breaths their job. But for many, their life outside of work has to factor in some. I'm sure it does for most everyone on this forum. Why would we think it would be so much different for NFL players? For the exceptions, sure, but not for all.
Offline DakotaT  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:57:46 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 649
Applause Received: 1,337

Doesn't it really come down to whether or not Green Bay would even entertain the player that only wants to get paid? Charles Woodson didn't want to come to Green Bay, but by doing so, he found out he was one hell of a football player, again! I'm sure he will consider it one of the greatest turning points in his career.
UserPostedImage
Offline Yerko  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 3:55:08 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 142
Applause Received: 238

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post

my dreams are crushed.

I don't think the Packers would be willing to pay anything close to that, but...his decision could have also been impacted due to it being the Bills...haha.

Byrd did say this about the Pack: “It would be a good opportunity there as well,” said Byrd. “Any time you have those places that have high-potent offenses that can put up points on the board, it always bodes well for a defensive back, because you have an opportunity to get the ball back to those quarterbacks to get more points on the board.”

But again, no way Ted Thompson puts out that kind of money on a free agent.
UserPostedImage
Offline sschind  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 4:08:47 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

This is my main point. All things equal, a team like Green Bay will generally have to pay more for many (or most) players than a "more desirable" team. The current difference between the Chargers and the Packers isn't nearly as great as some of us would like to think right now. Even "bad" weather cities like Seattle or San Francisco are likely more desirable than Green Bay to many. There's a reason multiple free agents talk about wanting to play for Seattle (James Jones and J. Finley come to mind). It's a great team, and in a pretty great city. That's a pretty sweet deal to still be paid millions of dollars. Most of those guys are going to get paid millions of dollars anywhere they go. I agree most players will take the money first and foremost, but I don't think many would take $500,000 extra dollars or something small like that to come to Green Bay if they had an option to go to somewhere they perceived to be better. Of course, there are always exceptions, but with the case of Green Bay, I think they are just that: exceptions.

If I was a player, I would try to get the most money I could on the best team I could. If the salary difference between two relatively similar teams was only 5-10%, I'm pretty sure I would factor in location. Aaron Rodgers knows he always has the off season to be in San Diego, but that means for a good chunk of the year, he's essentially away from his home. Why do something like that if you don't have to? Find a good enough situation and home can be where the team is, much like several players do with Green Bay.

It's great if a player eats, sleeps, and breaths their job. But for many, their life outside of work has to factor in some. I'm sure it does for most everyone on this forum. Why would we think it would be so much different for NFL players? For the exceptions, sure, but not for all.

I see your point, and yeah, Green Bay doesn't really have that much to offer besides a very good team with a lot of history and I think the history is lost on most players. They don't really care.

When I say it doesn't have much to offer I'm not saying that its bad. I'd love to live there but that's what I am used to and I don't have the money to enjoy a lot of the things a larger city has to offer anyway. if I was an athlete making millions I might want a little more.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline musccy  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 7:23:29 PM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 220
Applause Received: 199

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
IMO for the majority of free agents the top 5 priorities are:

1 money
2 more money
3 contender
4 team (could mean city they play in)
5 money

6. Jarius Byrd and TJ Ward played for Chip Kelley at Oregon (oh, btw, Philly, or at least their fans, REALLY want these guys).

7. As was alluded to before, GB isn't exactly a mecca for 25 year old single adult males also looking to market themselves. Contracts likely need to be greater in GB in many instances.

In addition to these priorities, just looking at Byrd and Ward, I know Cleveland, Buffalo, GB, and Philly (or at least their fans) are all interested in both of these players. Presumably there are many more teams as well which means that at the absolute bare minimum, two teams will be left disappointed and yelling at their GMs for being incompetent boobs, even if those GMs offered fair market value contracts. The bottom line is sometimes there are 6 guys at the dance and only 2 girls. If Ted doesn't land these or other F.A.s some of us are clamoring for, it doesn't mean reasonable, rationale efforts weren't made. Sometimes there just isn't mutual interest, or other factors at play dictate what happens.
Offline dhazer  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 7:44:01 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 195

wow I was just looking at some of the cap space other teams have and all I can say is DAMNNNN for the Raiders, jags, browns and Colts

Here are the top 6 teams in cap space

6) Packers - 35,123,261
5) Vikings - 36,461,238
4) Colts - 40,907,029
3) Browns - 56,320,355
2) Jags - 59,338,624

and here is #1 Raiders - 64,907,921 they actually only have 70,342,079 in estimated salary cap right now lol.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline sschind  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:10:31 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
wow I was just looking at some of the cap space other teams have and all I can say is DAMNNNN for the Raiders, jags, browns and Colts

Here are the top 6 teams in cap space

6) Packers - 35,123,261
5) Vikings - 36,461,238
4) Colts - 40,907,029
3) Browns - 56,320,355
2) Jags - 59,338,624

and here is #1 Raiders - 64,907,921 they actually only have 70,342,079 in estimated salary cap right now lol.

I really think the Browns are poised for a big improvement. They were not a bad team last year and they have a lot of talent in a lot of places. It would really behoove them to resign Mack and Ward first of all. Of course they need a RB and a QB and a WR to pair with Gordon would be nice and while that seems like a lot keep in mind they have that 56+ million dollars and 2 first round picks this year. Could we see Watkins, a QB with the second #1 and Hyde in round 2. I think that would be enough right there to get Browns fans excited.

Obviously the Raiders and Jags could add some decent players a well but I don't think they are nearly as talented with what they currently have as the Browns are.

Rss Feed