Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages«<234
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DakotaT  
#46 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:31:18 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 640
Applause Received: 1,319

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
I haven't really seen anybody here "overvaluing" James Jones. It seems to me like most here have been saying he's a decent WR and would be nice to keep but wouldn't be heartbroken if he left. Seems more like you are just inventing those people so you can be the edgy negative guy or something. Like you are just waiting for someone to say anything remotely positive about him so you can jump all over it with your "OMG you guys are overrating him he fumbled in this one game in 2007, everyone things James Jones is the best guy in the NFL" or some such comment.

Weeeee!!

You and Texas should go take a canoe trip and discuss what you know about how I think. Jones has concentration lapses, or like my grasshopper always says - shits himself.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#47 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:57:42 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 404
Applause Received: 233

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
You and Texas should go take a canoe trip and discuss what you know about how I think. Jones has concentration lapses, or like my grasshopper always says - shits himself.

I'll pass on that. He'd probably tip over the boat.

You and I are on the same side of this, Dakota. That's been happening a lot lately - Raji, Shields, etc. That's a little bit disturbing hahahaha.

It does seem like Jones has made more than his share of bad plays over the years; He also has made some spectacular ones. I think he will get a lot more than $3 million a year from somebody - not the Packers - there's a big difference between 3 and 8.

Bottom line for me is I feel more comfortable with Boykin as the third wide receiver than Jones.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline DakotaT  
#48 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:12:50 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I'll pass on that. He'd probably tip over the boat.

You and I are on the same side of this, Dakota. That's been happening a lot lately - Raji, Shields, etc. That's a little bit disturbing hahahaha.

It does seem like Jones has made more than his share of bad plays over the years; He also has made some spectacular ones. I think he will get a lot more than $3 million a year from somebody - not the Packers - there's a big difference between 3 and 8.

Bottom line for me is I feel more comfortable with Boykin as the third wide receiver than Jones.

Naw, Boykin is good in the fourth slot. If our defensive player at 21 isn't there, I want Uncle Ted to take a big WR and piss everybody off. It would be insurance in case Cobb or Jordy can't be resigned and would also serve a big need for the loss of Finley.

UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#49 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:45:44 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,378
Applause Received: 600

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Naw, Boykin is good in the fourth slot. If our defensive player at 21 isn't there, I want Uncle Ted to take a big WR and piss everybody off. It would be insurance in case Cobb or Jordy can't be resigned and would also serve a big need for the loss of Finley.

TE, Ted get can WRs in 2-3.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Zero2Cool  
#50 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 6:13:11 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

Packers will NOT be selecting a player 21st overall that will be on the roster in three years.
UserPostedImage
#51 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 12:59:38 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Packers will NOT be selecting a player 21st overall that will be on the roster in three years.

hahahahaha you're getting pretty cynical. Even with my fairly low opinion of TT, I wouldn't expect that.

As for WHAT we get at #21, I wouldn't mind that Randy Moss clone Dakota has spoken of, but I don't think he exists. The Texas A. M. kid ran something like a 4.6 forty, and nobody else that size has been mentioned anywhere near first round.

Besides, we need a couple or three good defensive players.

What do people have against Boykin? I expect him to step up even more this year. Same thing with Quarless at TE. I really don't think we need to use a high round pick there either.

Offline Yerko  
#52 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:44:05 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 141
Applause Received: 234

1. Upcoming re-signing of Nelson and Cobb.
2. Rise of Jarrett Boykin. Praise from Mike McCarthy recently.
3. Deep, deep WR class in the draft.
4. Possible return of Jermichael Finley.

To start, I don't think it would be a good idea to not bring James Jones back if Finley is not coming back. The lack of depth behind Nelson/Cobb/Boykin already would be insufficient and if Finley also didn't return, it would make matters worse. However, I believe this draft class of WR and even TE can easily fix the depth problems that Packers would have.
James Jones is going to hit the FA waters and I honestly think another team is going to pick him up. He has become a much more reliable receiver. A team is going to offer him more money than Ted Thompson has in mind.

I think the Packers should focus on a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. There is a very good possibility of a player like Jordan Matthews still being on the board with pick #53.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DakotaT on 2/27/2014(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#53 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2014 8:31:23 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 277
Applause Received: 392

Let's not forget The Packers already have these guys under contract.

Sederrick Cunningham, Kevin Dorsey, Alex Gillette, Chris Harper,

Seeing it is very unlikely a WR drafted this year would make any type of contribution to the team, and with the guys listed above having already went through a year, I think Ted will give them every chance to step up and take the #4 and possibly #5 spots.

With Riley Cooper getting a 5yr 25 mil. contract, that sets a price for Cobb and Nelson, looking very unlikely James Jones will be back.

I still hope something can be worked out, even if JJ is gone, don't think Ted is going to waste a high draft pick on WR.

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 2/27/2014(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#54 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 8:20:29 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 412

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
Let's not forget The Packers already have these guys under contract.

Sederrick Cunningham, Kevin Dorsey, Alex Gillette, Chris Harper,

Seeing it is very unlikely a WR drafted this year would make any type of contribution to the team, and with the guys listed above having already went through a year, I think Ted will give them every chance to step up and take the #4 and possibly #5 spots.

With Riley Cooper getting a 5yr 25 mil. contract, that sets a price for Cobb and Nelson, looking very unlikely James Jones will be back.

I still hope something can be worked out, even if JJ is gone, don't think Ted is going to waste a high draft pick on WR.

Yeah, there are a lot of FA WR's out there this year who are pretty close to Jones (I think Jones is better talent wise than most of them but he is also older so it kind of evens out. Like I think he is better than Cooper but Cooper is 4 years younger I think) We may see a bunch of these players resigned now that the first one has fallen. If 5 million per year is the target for this level it will probably be too much for Ted Thompson to resign Jones. An if 5 is the target for this level Nelson and Cobb have to be worth 8-9. It also make it less likely that Jones will give enough of a home town discount to make him worth it to TT. I think he would be worth 3-4 million per year (especially if the cap goes to 132 million) but I doubt Ted Thompson would go more than 3 and I don't think Jones would accept less than 4. Can they meet in the middle at 3.5. I would love it if they could.

As far as the 4 guys you have listed I guess I don't really expect much from any of them. They may develop just fine into a 4 or 5 spot guy so yeah as long as they have the year in why not let them battle it out rather than going after another 6th or 7th rounder. I could see Ted Thompson going 2nd or 3rd rounder though to try to hit another Nelson or Cobb to compete for the #1 or 2 spot in a year or so but I don't think its likely if some falls.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
#55 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 10:37:37 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Jones for $3.5 million a year? I don't see that happening. I think he wants a whole lot more, and I expect somebody to offer a lot more - in the Cooper range at least.

Obviously none of those 4 mentioned are the least bit proven. I do have high hopes, however, for Dorsey and maybe Harper. I would expect one of them and/or a low round pick to be the 4th and 5th receivers.

I still say, I'd rather have Boykin receiving passes than James Jones.
Offline sschind  
#56 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 12:18:03 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 412

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Jones for $3.5 million a year? I don't see that happening. I think he wants a whole lot more, and I expect somebody to offer a lot more - in the Cooper range at least.

Obviously none of those 4 mentioned are the least bit proven. I do have high hopes, however, for Dorsey and maybe Harper. I would expect one of them and/or a low round pick to be the 4th and 5th receivers.

I still say, I'd rather have Boykin receiving passes than James Jones.

I highly doubt 3.5 will cut it either and I agree somewhere in the Cooper range is probably accurate. I guess I am not as high on Boykin as you are. He has youth going for him over Jones and IMO that's it. He certainly may develop to be as good as Jones but right now I don't see it. I'm just glad we are talking about who will be our #3 guy and not our #1.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#57 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 1:17:56 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
I highly doubt 3.5 will cut it either and I agree somewhere in the Cooper range is probably accurate. I guess I am not as high on Boykin as you are. He has youth going for him over Jones and IMO that's it. He certainly may develop to be as good as Jones but right now I don't see it. I'm just glad we are talking about who will be our #3 guy and not our #1.

James Jones 2014: ?
3 TD's
817 Yards
2 Fumbles
2 Drops
59 Receptions
88 Targets
10 Broken Tackles

Jarrett Boykin 2014: $570,000
3 TD's
681 Yards
0 Fumbles
5 Drops
49 Receptions
75 Targets
12 Broken Tackles
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#58 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 2:59:23 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,378
Applause Received: 600

So I guess Sidney Rice is available. lol
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DakotaT  
#59 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 5:12:09 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
So I guess Sidney Rice is available. lol

I'd take a flyer, on a incentive based contract of course.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed