musccy
10 years ago

I'm care more about the possibility of getting Collins back. If Finley had not gotten injured and had gotten re-signed for big money, I think he would have reverted to dropping catches and being less physical running after the catch, and been a big disappointment. I don't know, maybe Aaron Rodgers knows different, but it seemed to me he only shaped up just prior to his contract expiring.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Agreed. Ever since the end of the '09 season and the AZ playoff game, we've been waiting for him to become one of, if not the the best TEs in the league (at least as an offensive weapon). All the potential in the world, but something just hasn't clicked with him, injuries, focus, whatever.

I don't wish any thing bad towards him, and I hope he is healthy, can sustain a great career, possibly even with the Packers for a reasonable price...but certainly not at 8mil or anywhere close to that which it sounds like he wants.
sschind
10 years ago
Whenever someone talks about players with injuries like this they say "have him sign a disclaimer and let him play" Somehow I don't think it is as easy as all that. Even if they sign something saying they understand the risks and they won't hold the team or the doctors or anyone else responsible if the worst happens I don't think it would necessarily relieve certain parties of responsibility. I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV but something tells me there is more involved. Such as waivers don't apply if the injured party can prove negligence on the part of waivee (team in this case) I don't know how they could prove negligence but as the concussion cases go to show it is being tried.

When you send you kids on a school field trip you sign waivers saying you won't hold them responsible if your kid gets hurt at the zoo but if you school allows a drunken chaperon to let your kid crawl into the lions den that is negligent and the waiver may not apply.

In many pet stores you see signs that say "don't put your fingers into animal cages, animals may bite" thinking that the sign will get them off the hook if dip shit gets a finger taken off by a parrot. It doesn't always work. If they can prove you knew the animal could be dangerous (and you did know because you put up the sign) and you didn't take steps to prevent dipshit from sticking his fingers in the cage you might be liable anyway.

Bottom line, a waiver may not protect the team or the doctors and I think that is why you never see it. I'ts not all because they are good and decent people worried about the health of the player (I'm sure some of it is but not all like they try to make it seem.) Believe me if they thought a waiver was foolproof they would be all over it.
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago

Yeah, and that should NOT be a decision of the team or a decision of the damn doctor. If the guy wants to play - Finley and/or Collins, get him to sign the disclaimer so the team can be sued, and get 'em back on the field.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Why shouldn't it be a team decision also? The injury results in a higher risk to the player, which is a risk to the team when they will be on the hook for the money in any contract.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Why shouldn't it be a team decision also? The injury results in a higher risk to the player, which is a risk to the team when they will be on the hook for the money in any contract.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

If this was MLB, I'd agree - damn that guaranteed money! - look at the Brewers and Rickie Weeks and numerous other cases. But in the NFL, other than bonuses and the current year, the team generally ain't on the hook.

As for Sschind's comment above, that's why I said "get clearance from the lawyers". Not being one, I'm not sure exactly how to word it to protect yourself, but if a sharp lawyer says it's good, probably it's good. A disclaimer generally covers normal activity. I would think the team would somehow have to do something grossly negligent to have a lawsuit override a well written disclaimer.

Bottom line is, if a player is willing to take the risk, and the LAWYER - not the damn doctor - clears him, the team is stupid to be hypercautious.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
I want Finely back. At an incentive based contract and if multiple doctors state on record he is at no more risk than any other player for neck injury.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (14h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (15h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (15h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (19h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (21h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (21h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (21h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (21h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (21h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (21h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (21h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (21h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (22h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (22h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.