Zero2Cool
10 years ago

If we can get a group of second rounders like Eddie Lacy and Jordy Nelson, I'd be happy.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I'd prefer a 2nd rounder like Nick Collins and toss in a Daryn Colledge too. That kind of talent will bring the Packers to the promised land.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

When was the last time you saw a significant in-season trade in the NFL?

As I've alluded to before, Seattle has 1/7th of their salary cap tied up in two WRs who hardly see the field (who they traded for/signed as FAs, btw). Conversely, they have All Pros and cornerstones that led them to the SB which they found in later rounds (Chancellor and Sherman RD 5, Wilson 3, Unger Rd 2). Yes, they made some FA moves, and it can be effective, but generally you're paying a lot more for a FA which can end up being just as unproductive as a 3rd rounder who may come at a fraction of the cost. I'm not saying avoid FA, but to say we need to "go all in" this year and jeopardize future drafts is unnecessary and unstable for the future of the franchise. Finally, just because the Packers didn't get a big FA this offseason doesn't mean they didn't try - look at S. Jackson, we tried, and look at Saturday two years ago. Both ended up being disappointments for their respective teams, btw.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Seattle traded for Marshawn Lynch and Percy Harvin (who could have easily won SB MVP), and signed Chris Clemons, Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett, amongst others in building that team. Do you know how many sacks Clemons has over the last 3 years since they signed him?

They will line up the same guys next season, and who will really contend with that?

I'm sorry, that argument doesn't wash. I don't care how much cash they have tied up in Percy Harvin and Sidney Rice. They could cut Rice this year. Point is, their team is built for a solid 2-3 year run. This isn't a contest for how far under the cap you can be, it is a contest for who can build the best team and win. Right now, John Schneider is taking it to his mentor, Ted Thompson. We are NO WHERE close as we stand today. Follow your line of thinking, and what I hope is Ted's old line of thinking, and we may have a S drafted and developed in 2-3 years, just in time for Rodgers' second window to close...

It is time for Ted to answer.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
A "knee-jerk" reaction would be to make such a trade now - or basically anytime other than draft day, minutes before a pick where we have our sights on somebody in particular. The concept of including next year's pick(s) in a draft day trade like when we got Clay Matthews is a good one, but just to up and make a trade like that with no immediate thing in mind? Hell no, that's not a good idea.

Safety is - or should be - a major exception to the draft and develop idea. Unlike almost any other position on the field, it usually does take 2-3 years to develop. With the immediate need we have there now, the best way to handle it is sign a quality free agent - Byrd or Ward.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
musccy
10 years ago

Seattle traded for Marshawn Lynch and Percy Harvin (who could have easily won SB MVP), and signed Chris Clemons, Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett, amongst others in building that team. Do you know how many sacks Clemons has over the last 3 years since they signed him?

They will line up the same guys next season, and who will really contend with that?

I'm sorry, that argument doesn't wash. I don't care how much cash they have tied up in Percy Harvin and Sidney Rice. They could cut Rice this year. Point is, their team is built for a solid 2-3 year run. This isn't a contest for how far under the cap you can be, it is a contest for who can build the best team and win. Right now, John Schneider is taking it to his mentor, Ted Thompson. We are NO WHERE close as we stand today. Follow your line of thinking, and what I hope is Ted's old line of thinking, and we may have a S drafted and developed in 2-3 years, just in time for Rodgers' second window to close...

It is time for Ted to answer.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I never said to avoid FA, I just think you get burned by going for the big name/big money FA, and I also think you make a big mistake if you trade up too often in the draft, you need the depth of picks. It's also not as if Ted avoided FA - remember he went after S. Jackson this offseason, he signed J. Saturday last year.

As for being way under the cap, keep in mind the Packers have to sign draft picks, and they have a lot of key components - J. Jones, Sheilds, Starks, EDS, who are due money this year, and Cobb and Nelson on the horizon, so the 28 mil or whatever we're at now is a little deceptive, we have a lot of in-house spending that money needs to go towards yet.

Also keep in mind that Seattle is paying a COMBINED 2 million for their All Pro CB and their starting QB right now, that's a very unique circumstance that the Packers are not in.

play2win
10 years ago

A "knee-jerk" reaction would be to make such a trade now - or basically anytime other than draft day, minutes before a pick where we have our sights on somebody in particular. The concept of including next year's pick(s) in a draft day trade like when we got Clay Matthews is a good one, but just to up and make a trade like that with no immediate thing in mind? Hell no, that's not a good idea.

Safety is - or should be - a major exception to the draft and develop idea. Unlike almost any other position on the field, it usually does take 2-3 years to develop. With the immediate need we have there now, the best way to handle it is sign a quality free agent - Byrd or Ward.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Trading now is not a part of my premise. Not at all. I am talking about draft day or near the draft trading. It all depends on who they feel they are targeting, who they feel comfortable making such a move for, and their level of certainty the player is there or will be there. Maybe they would have a couple of options in the event of a straight up early trade.

All I know, is loading up now could be very beneficial for this Packers team. The idea of trading a R1 from next year, and getting that additional player we want and need in the system this season could go a very long way towards our success over the next few years, even at the expense of possibly missing out on a player next season. Seems an even wash, or better, if we can get that player in the system immediately and get him up to NFL speed, and he is able to contribute to the level we might have thought he would in making the trade.

There is risk in any move. Sometimes, greater risk in not making a move… and we have a lot of catching up to do, especially on our defense. I want this Packers team to contend for the title this coming season, and the next, and the next…

I'm not interested in pussyfooting around and possibly contending in 2-3 years. Why waste a precious year of this short window of opportunity with Aaron Rodgers at the top of his game?

Get the players we need, solid, top veteran talents via FA/trade and the best players we can possibly draft. Seattle is loaded for Bear next season. I want this 2014 Packers team to surpass them, and bring home another Lombardi Trophy. Offensively we are close. Defensively, we are not in the same area code.
musccy
10 years ago

I'm not interested in pussyfooting around and possibly contending in 2-3 years. Why waste a precious year of this short window of opportunity with Aaron Rodgers at the top of his game?

Get the players we need, solid, top veteran talents via FA/trade and the best players we can possibly draft. Seattle is loaded for Bear next season. I want this 2014 Packers team to surpass them, and bring home another Lombardi Trophy. Offensively we are close. Defensively, we are not in the same area code.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Keep in mind the Packers are presumably getting back Sherrod, Bulaga, Worthy, Hayward, and CM3 who all spent significant time in the training room in 2013

You have another year of Boyd, D. Jones, Daniels Boykin, J. Franklin, Bacteria, Hyde developing.

I'm not sure why there is need for panic, or the sense that the Packers have to make some big splash now. There is a lot of talent that we hardly saw in 2013 that currently works at 1265 Lombardi. What do they need? Probably some ILB upgrades, a safety, a TE, and maybe a little more depth at WR and the DLine depending on who the team retains. Some reasonable FA acquisitions and a good deep draft can help fill these voids.
nerdmann
10 years ago

Keep in mind the Packers are presumably getting back Sherrod, Bulaga, Worthy, Hayward, and CM3 who all spent significant time in the training room in 2013

You have another year of Boyd, D. Jones, Daniels Boykin, J. Franklin, Bacteria, Hyde developing.

I'm not sure why there is need for panic, or the sense that the Packers have to make some big splash now. There is a lot of talent that we hardly saw in 2013 that currently works at 1265 Lombardi. What do they need? Probably some ILB upgrades, a safety, a TE, and maybe a little more depth at WR and the DLine depending on who the team retains. Some reasonable FA acquisitions and a good deep draft can help fill these voids.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

And maybe a decent trainer.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
(grumble mumble grumble)

Never mind.

(mumble grumble mumble)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

(grumble mumble grumble)

Never mind.

(mumble grumble mumble)

Originally Posted by: Wade 

well said.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago
Is it "panic" to want a Championship Super Bowl Win in 2014? No. But, from a personnel standpoint, we are very far away from that on our defense.

Making it a real possibility this next season will require some doing, some decisions and actions outside of the norm we've come to know since 2006.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (1h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (1h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (2h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
41m / Random Babble / Martha Careful

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.