nerdmann
10 years ago

I agree with Satan that safety is our biggest need, but I think the guy is already on the roster. Micah Hyde should be beefed up a little and play every down. The guy is a tackling machine and can cover. What else are we looking for. Draft a corner instead.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

NT or OLB.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Not Capers... the scheme, which NFL coaches know can work and has worked. It's the traditional 3-4 scheme... which I think the Patriots used when they won 3 out of 4 straight Super Bowls. Personally I think Capers 3-4 system which is more high risk (and hopefully high reward) is better (just like you) which the Packers ran from 2009 to 2011 but got away from after the DL and DB got a lot worse in 2011 due to injuries, FA and declining vets and Packers need to go to something less aggressive.

I just think you don't understand how coaches can ask certain positions to be role players and do more of the dirty work to open up others t make plays. Almost every system someone has to do the dirty work unless you get something like a full time 4-2 cover or tampa 2 like the bears play under lovie smith.

Nope I didn't... It's just clear your logic is all players equally being trying to be play makers is best which is your philosophy.

Sometimes that's true, sometimes it's not true. Players like Ryan Pickett, Brady Poppinga and many others have been best in role positions doing the dirty work to get other guys open to make the play.

Well if you watch the game you would of saw on 3rd down when the pass rushers would come in and they would still double Matthews. So they whole, if you do this every thing is solved is just not correct. Teams chip the best pass rusher even with other pass rushers in there.

And what's up with the stupid name calling? Fat turds? Are we in middle school or something? If that profile pic is of you, you don't look like the skinniest guy out there.

Ummm I think you misread what I wrote or didn't understand something as you agreed with me about Richards not being the coverage S they seem to want.

What I said was (and said it's probably a horrible idea), but I wonder how Richardson would look if gained some weight and played as a coverage ILB (not S but ILB). Again probably a horrible idea but just something I wondered about.

you just agreed with what I said about Richardson... yet you're saying "come on!" and using a disagreeing tone.

My post said Richardson can't be used like they want at S (cover Safety) that can rotate back and forth between SS and FS.

The thing I was wondering (and I said it's probably a horrible idea) I wonder if they asked him to gain weight and become a coverage ILB (not Safety like you wrot

Originally Posted by: beast 

Richardson to ILB? It's an interesting idea, but I honestly haven't seen that much in the guy to merit the effort.

You are correct that teams still double teamed Matthews even when the Packers had a pass rush package in there, and that double teaming - if YOU watched closely, was more than just the usual TE chipping on him, and they got away with it. However, even the situational D-Line usually included at least one fat pig in there.

So you're calling me fat huh? hahahaha It has taken me 66 years to build up that gut, and it's a good bet I still could beat anybody in this forum on the tennis court. Back on point, I just hate it that when you watch games, there are maybe a dozen or so players around the league with noticeably huge guts hanging over their belts, and way too big a percentage of those are Packers. And while some like that have some toughness, ours play way too soft for their weight.

I couldn't really understand what you were trying to say about role players and play makers. We only have one real defensive play maker - Matthews, and I doubt that is going to change. What I'm talking about is upgrading the D-Line to decent players from the fat slugs who have been vegetating there for a few years now. For somebody to do that "dirty" role you seem to be talking about, they have to be at least credible in terms of capability. Raji and Pickett clearly were not. Good Riddance to them.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
10 years ago

Richardson to ILB? It's an interesting idea, but I honestly haven't seen that much in the guy to merit the effort.

You are correct that teams still double teamed Matthews even when the Packers had a pass rush package in there, and that double teaming - if YOU watched closely, was more than just the usual TE chipping on him, and they got away with it. However, even the situational D-Line usually included at least one fat pig in there.

So you're calling me fat huh? hahahaha It has taken me 66 years to build up that gut, and it's a good bet I still could beat anybody in this forum on the tennis court. Back on point, I just hate it that when you watch games, there are maybe a dozen or so players around the league with noticeably huge guts hanging over their belts, and way too big a percentage of those are Packers. And while some like that have some toughness, ours play way too soft for their weight.

I couldn't really understand what you were trying to say about role players and play makers. We only have one real defensive play maker - Matthews, and I doubt that is going to change. What I'm talking about is upgrading the D-Line to decent players from the fat slugs who have been vegetating there for a few years now. For somebody to do that "dirty" role you seem to be talking about, they have to be at least credible in terms of capability. Raji and Pickett clearly were not. Good Riddance to them.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I'd try Richardson at OLB first.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
I want to see if the gap assignments change in any significant way. I know there will be quite a bit of turnaround this offseason. I think more than last offseason. A lot of this rides on the improvement of the two year players. I got my eye on Boyd.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
beast
10 years ago

I couldn't really understand what you were trying to say about role players and play makers. We only have one real defensive play maker

Yeah I don't think I explain it the best and I know you don't understand the general idea of it.

But trying to explain it, it was kind of like when the Packers were in the 4-3 Bates system... Nick Barnett was in the middle of the field and the scheme was asked to funnel plays back into him so he could be the playmaker.

For that to work the OLBers has to be role players and take on blocks a good bit and do the dirty work to keep Barnett clean and let him be the play maker.

Basically one guy does a lot more of the normally unnoticed stuff so another guy can play hero.
The one guy is doing the dirty work so the other one can be a play maker.
That's what the big guys have suppose to be doing, the dirty work and they set up Hawk very well this to be play maker.

For somebody to do that "dirty" role you seem to be talking about, they have to be at least credible in terms of capability. Raji and Pickett clearly were not. Good Riddance to them.

Raji seems to have no interest in the dirty work and I think that's a large reason why he's failing.

Pickett on the other hand has been GREAT for the packers (until this last year) at doing the dirty work.

Remember Matthews Super Bowl fumble? Clay made the play but Pickett set that up for Matthews and forced him out towards Matthews, but seems like Pickett was forgotten on that play.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Pick got injured some time during the season and declined from that point. He's been such a great player for us.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Yeah I don't think I explain it the best and I know you don't understand the general idea of it.

But trying to explain it, it was kind of like when the Packers were in the 4-3 Bates system... Nick Barnett was in the middle of the field and the scheme was asked to funnel plays back into him so he could be the playmaker.

For that to work the OLBers has to be role players and take on blocks a good bit and do the dirty work to keep Barnett clean and let him be the play maker.

Basically one guy does a lot more of the normally unnoticed stuff so another guy can play hero.
The one guy is doing the dirty work so the other one can be a play maker.
That's what the big guys have suppose to be doing, the dirty work and they set up Hawk very well this to be play maker.

Raji seems to have no interest in the dirty work and I think that's a large reason why he's failing.

Pickett on the other hand has been GREAT for the packers (until this last year) at doing the dirty work.

Remember Matthews Super Bowl fumble? Clay made the play but Pickett set that up for Matthews and forced him out towards Matthews, but seems like Pickett was forgotten on that play.

UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: beast 

I've heard that theory so many times that Raji is merely dogging it. I don't buy it. He has always played soft for a guy his size. Even when he was relatively better, he was a finesse player - playing more like a 290 pounder than 350 or whatever. I NEVER saw toughness in him. To a great extent, Pickett was the same - give him credit for effort. etc., but toughness? I don't think so.

That whole "role playing" thing, to me, is the wrong philosophy to have - or more precisely, it only works if the ones you mention doing the dirty work have capability on their own to make some plays, and the guys getting things funneled into them - Barnett in the past, Hawk now, etc. are more like Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman. Barring that sort of thing, you need a LACK of lumps who can't do anything - Raji and Pickett - and creative schemes - the Capers way, rather than plain vanilla like we had with Sanders, etc. before Capers.

As for Nerdman's idea of Richardson at OLB, I like that better than ILB. That makes more sense than turning DEs into OLBs. I just don't see that ability in Richardson to make it all worthwhile, though.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
10 years ago

I've heard that theory so many times that Raji is merely dogging it. I don't buy it. He has always played soft for a guy his size. Even when he was relatively better, he was a finesse player - playing more like a 290 pounder than 350 or whatever. I NEVER saw toughness in him. To a great extent, Pickett was the same - give him credit for effort. etc., but toughness? I don't think so.

That whole "role playing" thing, to me, is the wrong philosophy to have - or more precisely, it only works if the ones you mention doing the dirty work have capability on their own to make some plays, and the guys getting things funneled into them - Barnett in the past, Hawk now, etc. are more like Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman. Barring that sort of thing, you need a LACK of lumps who can't do anything - Raji and Pickett - and creative schemes - the Capers way, rather than plain vanilla like we had with Sanders, etc. before Capers.

As for Nerdman's idea of Richardson at OLB, I like that better than ILB. That makes more sense than turning DEs into OLBs. I just don't see that ability in Richardson to make it all worthwhile, though.

As a S, his forte is playing up at the LoS anyway.
steveishere
10 years ago
lol it makes more sense to turn a safety into an OLB than turning a DE into an OLB when most 3-4 OLBs used to be DEs? Only in Texas I guess.
beast
10 years ago

I've heard that theory so many times that Raji is merely dogging it. I don't buy

I didn't say Raji was dogging it... I think Raji has two mental speeds,

1) Aggressive attacking the ball
2) Watching

The probably is NTs and big DL are asked to play two gap which is aggressive and attacking the OL while clogging towards the ball... which Raji tries to but mentally struggles to do, and ends up trying to follow the ball, getting to high and watching too much. I think he'd be better if you could get him into a position of, don't watch, don't read just attack... but there isn't a role like that on the Packers team.

To a great extent, Pickett was the same - give him credit for effort. etc., but toughness? I don't think so.

If you don't think Pickett has shown toughness with the Packers through out his career then ether you haven't watched him play or don't know what you're seeing, and I've already pointed out clearly you only get attack pass rush mode you don't understand the other things DL are asked to do.

That whole "role playing" thing, to me, is the wrong philosophy to have

Well most teams and scheme have them in the NFL and so I'll take the actions of the experts, they use it so they must think it's better overall.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
57m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.