Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#46 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:12:10 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,629
Applause Received: 653

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I believe this is true. We haven't had a dominant OL. Not at all. Aaron's ability to get the ball out quicker than most QBs in the NFL has made whoever we've thrown out there look way better than they were. Rodgers has been one of the most sacked QBs over the last 4 or 5 years. Have to admit too, our OL has essentially been thrown together over the last 4 seasons. See what sticks to the wall...

I thought Ted should have signed Bryant McKinney last offseason as an insurance plan, since they had no real answer on the left side of the line and were once again scrambling to get it together. Had he done that, Aaron may not have blown out the collar bone… Peppers may have been blocked, allowing Rodgers to step up into the pocket.

I'd like to see some aggressive pursuit of talent by Ted for a change. We need it.

There is a ton of blame to go around, from not having the players, to injuries, to Campen's coaching, to McCarthy's slow, tepid introduction of a running game over this 4-5 years span, forcing his OL into step back pass sets absorbing the opposing DL rush instead of a balanced pass/run attack which allows our OL to tee off in run blocking.

ugh. I just hope we get this addressed. Get some players healthy. Do a better job of training and coaching and play calling.

Yes, Aaron has the "ability" to get the ball out quicker. Unfortunately he's usually holding it, waiting for something to come open deep.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline play2win  
#47 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:37:32 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Yes, Aaron has the "ability" to get the ball out quicker. Unfortunately he's usually holding it, waiting for something to come open deep.

Well, of course! How else are you going to stat whore?

Laughing Laughing Laughing
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 2/15/2014(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#48 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:34:16 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 963

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Did you read what I said at all? My point about "big gap between Sitton and Lang" is the point that there are multiple levels of play. I do NOT believe we have to get Sitton level players to improve over the performance of Lang, Bulaga, et al.

There have been great offensive lines, and none of them have been All-Pros across the line. But all of them have been better, a lot better, than the Packer OL during the Thompson/McCarthy years.

I'm sorry, but the "we can't afford more" won't wash with me. Not over a nine year period. Yeah, they have a lot of money invested in Lang. They also have a lot of money invested in Brad Jones. Sometimes money is badly invested. Nine years of putting your NFL money in the Langs and Jones of the world is evidence of bad investment strategy.

The Packers may have no way of paying for improvement in the OL this year. Given the problems on defense, I won't dispute this.

But, one last time, this has not been a one year failure. This has been close to a decade of inability to put together a dominant line.

Call it being content, call it being frugal, call it being satisfied, blame it on injuries, blame it on being left in salary cap hell by Sherman, blame it on not being able to draft high enough, blame it on not coaching people up enough, call it whatever you damn want. Whatever you blame it on, the Packers have not had a dominant offensive line in the entire Ted Thompson/Mike McCarthy era.

I call it unacceptable.

It's been pretty well proven you don't really need a "dominant" OL to win championships so I don't see why it's so unacceptable to not have one. Only in your world where good players suck if they aren't dominant I guess.
Offline nerdmann  
#49 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 3:07:32 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,629
Applause Received: 653

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
It's been pretty well proven you don't really need a "dominant" OL to win championships so I don't see why it's so unacceptable to not have one. Only in your world where good players suck if they aren't dominant I guess.

Our 3rd, 4th and 5th Ts produced the ROY at RB.

Not too shabby.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline warhawk  
#50 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2014 8:49:07 AM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 222

I'm not as down on the prospects for a solid OL in 2014. With Bulaga back and possibly Sherrod finally healthy I see improved play on the outside and if they resign EDS it would mostly stay intact.
People get down on the sacks and pressures but that's what teams have to do against this team. They know, with Arod back there, they HAVE to put pressure on him. With Rodgers and the WR's teams can't beat this team with coverage schemes like they can against other offenses.

Look at the other side of this. How often does the OL handle these various pressure packages and Aaron Rodgers burns them? I think the sacks and pressures are going to be the nature of the beast for this offense. They may not win every battle but as long as they win the war.

Like I said, I think they have a good shot at improving the play on the outside whether Bulaga goes to LT or right and the pressures and sacks will drop. That has to be a scary thought for the teams they will face.
"The train is leaving the station."
Offline DakotaT  
#51 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2014 9:37:11 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

I just want to get the best healthiest O-line on the field for a whole season, and with the emergence of Lacy, see how bad we can tear up the league. I really want to see our line look like this:

LT - Sherrod
LG - Sitton
C - EDS/Tretter
RG - Lang
RT - Bulaga

You use Bacteria and Barclay as your backups and as extra O-lineman in heavy packages. Bacteria, just might be our answer at LT, but I haven't given up on the guy we drafted in the first round for that.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann on 2/16/2014(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#52 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:56:46 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I sure would be great to see all of our 1st round picks stand tall and deliver for us this season, both on OL and DL/LB. 3 of the last 4 out with injuries most of if not all of 2013. Datone hardly played. Nick Perry hardly played. Neither Sherrod nor Bulaga played. What a mess. Add to that Raji kind of tanked it, and Clay was injured through much of 2013. Raji and Hawk were the only two who played the whole season, going all the way back to 2005.

wow.

We need production and availability from these players. That could go a very long way to making this a great season in 2014.
Offline warhawk  
#53 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 3:17:57 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 222

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I sure would be great to see all of our 1st round picks stand tall and deliver for us this season, both on OL and DL/LB. 3 of the last 4 out with injuries most of if not all of 2013. Datone hardly played. Nick Perry hardly played. Neither Sherrod nor Bulaga played. What a mess. Add to that Raji kind of tanked it, and Clay was injured through much of 2013. Raji and Hawk were the only two who played the whole season, going all the way back to 2005.

wow.

We need production and availability from these players. That could go a very long way to making this a great season in 2014.

IMO this is THE most important thing for the team to see the greatest improvement. All of these former 1st round picks need to play and contribute at a high level.

People scream about the lack of FA's but in the last two years had Ted Thompson done the opposite of what he does and grabbed FA's and as many of those had gotten hurt as all these high picks we would be no better, or worse off, then they are now.

You can earmark your core players however you want. The guys you draft early and pay a lot of money too or whether they come through FA and you pay them. If they ain't on the field your team is not going to function at the level it should.

"The train is leaving the station."
play2win on 2/19/2014(UTC)
Rss Feed