Mucky Tundra
10 years ago

At this point, I just don't think he is anywhere near the answer for the Packers. He would add the veteran presence and that is about all.

And since it is being talked about, I like Jimmie Ward. His size along with playing in the MAC will be what most use against him to not consider him higher in the draft but I think the kid can play football.

Similar sized safety I was interested in last year, Matt Elam. Clearly, a different caliber player but just for measurables sake.

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

Yerko, I watched a video with all of Ward's snaps vs Florida State from the 2012 Orange Bowl(?) and was VERY impressed. I'd be very happy if they landed him.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
mi_keys
10 years ago

I can buy some of that, for team depth at the position. Yeah, why not?

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Hell, he had 4 interceptions more than our entire safety group did combined last year. We can't do any worse.
Born and bred a cheesehead
DoddPower
10 years ago

Hell, he had 4 interceptions more than our entire safety group did combined last year. We can't do any worse.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

True, he might be a slight improvement, but I think the Packers can do MUCH better than a slow, aging, undersized safety. If the Packers sign him for some reason, I hope it doesn't alter their plans of finding another really good safety in the slightest.

I'd rather develop Hyde at the position than Leonhard, too. The Packers don't need more players of Leonhard's caliber. They need more big, strong, fast, and talented players to ever rise above average, imo.
play2win
10 years ago

True, he might be a slight improvement, but I think the Packers can do MUCH better than a slow, aging, undersized safety. If the Packers sign him for some reason, I hope it doesn't alter their plans of finding another really good safety in the slightest.

I'd rather develop Hyde at the position than Leonhard, too. The Packers don't need more players of Leonhard's caliber. They need more big, strong, fast, and talented players to ever rise above average, imo.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

You know DoddPower, I've thought a lot about Hyde switching to S, and with his insanely good instincts, it could be a really good move.

I agree with what you are saying in our Safeties added needing to be bigger and faster. At least, that is what I prefer. We need blue chip talents back there, and I'm questioning Morgan Burnett, sadly.

LeRoy Butler was talking up the Dixon kid from Baylor recently, saying that would be his pick. I tend to agree.
mi_keys
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that we forego adding further depth to safety if we pick up Leonhard. At least I hope not.

According to spotrac, Leonhard was on a salary of $840K with a cap hit of $555K; there doesn't seem to have been any guaranteed money. Assuming any deal he signs for this coming year will be similar, we could essentially sign him risk free to bring him into camp for more competition.

If he can come in and win a backup spot, great. He can come in and help bring along a rookie, Hyde or anyone else we bring in; and he would be an adequate backup if he can still play at or close to the level he has been playing at for most of his career, in spite of his small stature and non-existent pace (he's played through those two limitations his entire career).

From 2008 to 2010 he started on and contributed to defenses that finished 3rd, 1st and 6th in scoring. He was never the centerpiece, only a cog in the machine, but he knows what it takes to operate a defense at an elite level. When many of us are clamoring for veteran leadership, I don't see how bringing in a guy like this can hurt.

Besides, he's a Badger and Wisconsinite; and I'm a sucker for a good homecoming.

Source:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/jim-leonhard/ 
Born and bred a cheesehead
DoddPower
10 years ago

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that we forego adding further depth to safety if we pick up Leonhard. At least I hope not.

According to spotrac, Leonhard was on a salary of $840K with a cap hit of $555K; there doesn't seem to have been any guaranteed money. Assuming any deal he signs for this coming year will be similar, we could essentially sign him risk free to bring him into camp for more competition.

If he can come in and win a backup spot, great. He can come in and help bring along a rookie, Hyde or anyone else we bring in; and he would be an adequate backup if he can still play at or close to the level he has been playing at for most of his career, in spite of his small stature and non-existent pace (he's played through those two limitations his entire career).

From 2008 to 2010 he started on and contributed to defenses that finished 3rd, 1st and 6th in scoring. He was never the centerpiece, only a cog in the machine, but he knows what it takes to operate a defense at an elite level. When many of us are clamoring for veteran leadership, I don't see how bringing in a guy like this can hurt.

Besides, he's a Badger and Wisconsinite; and I'm a sucker for a good homecoming.

Source:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/jim-leonhard/ 

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

I can understand some of the logic, but I'd rather pass. I suppose it's not a bad fall-back plan if the Packers can't sign a starting free safety in free agency. But I'm hoping they can. At that point, I'd rather focus on drafting and developing guys behind Burnett and the free agent safety. Having a 32 year old small and slow back up safety doesn't excite me much. Now if the Packers don't add a starting safety in free agency and decide to look to the draft, then he could be a possibility. But still, I'd much rather see more talent added to the safety group, rather than a cheap, old, and marginally talented player. I wouldn't even mind signing a top free agency safety AND drafting one of the top safeties. The Packers need much more talent at the position.

To be fair, though, he does seem like a Ted Thompson type of signing. It's just not one that I would care for.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.