10 years ago

Was it luck that brought Lacy to us at pick #61? I kind of think so. That was a fantastic pick and a great turn for our team. We needed a legit power RB, a feature RB. But, Lacy literally fell into our laps, much like Rodgers did in 2005.

I'm not saying we should be blowing huge sums of money on anybody. I'm merely stating that there is a balance that should exist on any team in adding both young talent via the draft, and experienced, effective veteran talent via FA and trades. Personally, I think we've thrown ourselves off balance by sticking to D&D as our sole means of talent acquisition. And, it clearly shows.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Never understood the whole getting lucky that a player fell into a team's lap argument. You still have to pull the trigger. Not to mention you see all these teams passing on the player it would be hard not to second guess yourself.
UserPostedImage
10 years ago
The combination of having the best qb in the league and being far under the salary cap is a big advantage.
UserPostedImage
Laser Gunns
10 years ago

Never understood the whole getting lucky that a player fell into a team's lap argument. You still have to pull the trigger. Not to mention you see all these teams passing on the player it would be hard not to second guess yourself.

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 

22 of Seahawks 53 are un drafted.

It's all about scouting and coaching.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

Agree, it amazes me how John Schneider and that idiot coach up there are being deemed geniuses because they drafted players like Wilson and Sherman among others in the later rnds, yet when Ted grabs Lacy in the 2nd rnd it was just luck.

See Zero's earlier post, up until the last line it makes a lot of sense. 😆

I didn't read the whole article, but I am pretty sure the teams That The Packers are being lumped with do not have 16 fa's and a couple of rfa's that either need to be resigned or let go.

The Packers may look to have a lot of money available, but a good portion is going to go toward resigning their own.

Keep an eye on what happens with Tramon Williams, until he is released, extended, or is allowed to play out his contract, that will determine whether Ted may be going to jump into the FA market.

The Packers need that 6-7 mil that could be freed up by extending(preferred) or releasing Tramon to be able to look at who is available in FA, or to sign Sam Shields(preferred).

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
play2win
10 years ago
So, there was no luck at all with Ted Thompson drafting Eddie Lacy at #61 in R2 in 2013? Really? A feature RB was one of our very top team needs going into the offseason. But, having Lacy fall to us at 61 wasn't luck… OK.

Rodgers dropping to #24 in 2005 wasn't luck either, with Favre expressing his wish to retire soon. Nope.
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago
I believe that the draft and develop is the correct way to run an NFL organization, if willing to spend when the time is right. The question being is the time right, or has it been right. This year might be our best window to push all in for the SB. We have pretty limited areas of need to fill, and there is no telling if the players available will match our needs.

Drafting BPA and developing them is a great way to build a team, but eventually, unless extremely lucky, you will end up needing a position that isn't available to be filled by drafting. Is there a Starting FS to draft this year, I don't see one. There are some that have the potential, but not a day one player. So if we depend on the draft, it will still be 2 or 3 years to fill that hole. Can we wait? What players are going to leave and need to be replaced by that time? We are seeming to be treading water, rather than getting closer to the goal.

We are going to have Jordy, Sitton, Cobb and others coming due on contracts. Are we going to be able, and are we going to want to keep them given age, and salaries they will demand.

I think if we really believe in the draft and develop strategy, we should have the confidence that we can make some FA moves now, and even though it will cost us some of our veteran players the next couple years, we should be able to replace those players lost through draft and development.

If we don't do it this year or next, we are going to be approaching the window for Lacy to get paid? and to the end of Rodgers and Clays contracts? Will we be able to afford to do it later.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
QCHuskerFan
10 years ago

So, there was no luck at all with Ted Thompson drafting Eddie Lacy at #61 in R2 in 2013? Really? A feature RB was one of our very top team needs going into the offseason. But, having Lacy fall to us at 61 wasn't luck… OK.

Rodgers dropping to #24 in 2005 wasn't luck either, with Favre expressing his wish to retire soon. Nope.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

One could make the argument that there is 'luck' involved with every draft pick other than the #1.

The Packers were needing a QB in '05. That doesn't mean there wasn't luck involved with Rodgers falling down the board. 2 separate events. Was it good luck that Nelson was available in the 3rd? Was it good luck that Shields was undrafted and chose to come to GB? Was it bad luck that Sherrod was available at #32 in 2011?

Or a person can accept that sometimes things work just like planned and sometimes they don't.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

The combination of having the best qb in the league and being far under the salary cap is a big advantage.

Only if you make use of that big advantage

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

One could make the argument that there is 'luck' involved with every draft pick other than the #1.

The Packers were needing a QB in '05. That doesn't mean there wasn't luck involved with Rodgers falling down the board. 2 separate events. Was it good luck that Nelson was available in the 3rd? Was it good luck that Shields was undrafted and chose to come to GB? Was it bad luck that Sherrod was available at #32 in 2011?

Or a person can accept that sometimes things work just like planned and sometimes they don't.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Exactly. There is a degree of luck involved in using free agency also, but less so than in the draft. The examples you give are good, as are the Seattle examples - Wilson and Sherman. If there is a difference, however, it is that Wilson and Sherman were more "longshots" than Rodgers and Lacy. The LUCK is that against all odds, those guys fell to us. unlike most of the others mentioned who went pretty much where they were expected to go, but just blossomed into star players.

Nobody is saying it's all luck with Thompson; Nobody is saying draft and develop is bad; All I and some others are saying is that Thompson goes to too much of an extreme in that direction. It's just that as somebody said early in the thread, there's no prize for sticking too far below the cap.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

This is a BS comment. First, he isn't Uncle Teddy. Secondly Ted Thompson is not afraid to get quality free agents. Thompson merely refuses to OVERSPEND for ANY free agent. There is a massively vast difference there. I think Thompson goes on vacation the first week of free agency just to avoid temptation. That is speculative of course.

The player has to fit the Packers scheme.
The player has to be willing to play for the Packers.

This isn't just a Ted Thompson thing. There are many moving pieces and to blindly say Thompson, err Teddy is afraid to get quality free agents is just obtuse.

One of the things many fans love about the Packers is the blue collar aspect. The small town aspect. The historical aspect. Even the cold aspect. Well, most of those things work AGAINST the Packers in landing free agents. Not to mention the Packers do not have a deep pocketed owner who can afford to spend $100 million on someone like Albert Haynesworth and have it be a complete bust. If the Packers did this, it would set them back nearly five years if not more!

Again, what free agents were available that the Packers should have signed for their contract? No one ever has a legit answer to this, yet we all run around saying "sign free agents".

Shit on that! Learn to coach up the damn players drafted. Do your damn 'draft and develop' gooder, especially the friggin develop part! How long we gonna wait for many of these guys to finally develop?

btw, please sign Jarius Byrd and Brian Orakpo, k thanks Auntie Theodore.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Easy there Pardner. It was a BS comment but you don't have to rant on so. I was initially over the top just to start the thread out. I doubt anyone with any sense at all Thinks Ted is scared. That would be stupid.

The player has to fit the Packers scheme.
The player has to be willing to play for the Packers.

Z2C wrote:

Wouldn't this comment be the same for every team in every professional sport worldwide? Perhaps some GMs don't follow suit as close as they should but every team needs players who "fit in their scheme", whatever their scheme may be. And I don't know of any player anywhere who doesn't play for what the team is willing to pay. The 2 sides may have compromised at some point but if the team isn't willing to pay, the player won't suit up for them. [neener]
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (48m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (2h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (6h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (17h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.