You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<456
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#76 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:48:05 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Applause Given: 349
Applause Received: 210

It ain't about Green Bay climate or the Green Bay social scene or whatever. It's about MONEY #1 and WINNING #2. The huge majority of the time, the team offering the best deal financially gets the player. About the only exception would be somebody turning down a bigger offer from a chronic losing team.

In most of the examples mentioned - Lynch, Moss, etc., I actually side with Thompson in not signing them. Paying big money for a RB with a few years on him is almost never a good idea, and Moss looked like a long shot to be worthwhile to get based on his general attitude. A lot of players who fall short of being "Packer people" still might be worth the risk. Moss IMO was not.

Just the same, Thompson should have seen obvious weaknesses on the Packer team and done more to fix them - like getting a quality cover Safety this year.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline play2win  
#77 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:26:57 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 844
Applause Received: 547

Thompson should have gotten a quality cover Safety LAST YEAR! Or, maybe made a trade for one when Collins went down in 2011.

We saw the reliance on one player, Aaron Rodgers, and how that adversely affected our team this past season. It was a window to our real and true strength -or lack thereof- as a football team. I was floored by how badly we fared without him on many levels, even though I agree, any team losing their starting QB, and former NFL MVP, would suffer greatly.

I found this interesting in how a similar situation in Denver with Peyton Manning might be translating directly to our own current woes, and our standing in today's NFL:

Quote:
A MATTER OF STYLE. Doesn’t it seem that the philosophical approach to football ultimately made the difference? Denver is led by Manning. He is THE unquestioned leader of the team. He is the boss and the players are the employees. It was that way in Indy as well. How he goes, so goes his team. It was obvious the psychological effect the game had on Peyton. He was shell-shocked in his post-game interview, stammering for words, his confidence shattered. In contrast, Seattle is an 11-man team effort with interchangeable parts. Anyone can step up on any given game day. It showed once again on Sunday that football is a team sport.

—Michael, Los Angeles

I love your email. In today’s game, the best teams are the ones less reliant on a single player. In a late-season five-game stretch, Seattle’s offense averaged just 20 points a game and was totally reliant on the defense. But we see how much they were helped by Russell Wilson coming up as big as he did in this game. Conversely, if Peyton Manning and his protection have a bad day, there’s a good chance it’s lights-out for Denver. Good points by you.
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/...wks-super-bowl-xlviii/2/

Great observation, very similar to what our Packers team is facing currently with Rodgers.

Point is, at this stage we are WAY more like the DEN team who got their asses handed to them than we are the SEA who gave them the beat down. We have SO MANY HOLES on our team to address, especially on defense. Currently, we are in dire need of upgrades at FS, SS, OLB, ILB, NT, DE and possibly TE and WR, maybe even CB if we can't get the Shields deal done.

I was pretty happy to see Mike Daniels comments the other day about assuming more of a leadership role. We need more of that. Take some of the emphasis off of Rodgers being the end all for this team, and get some super talents all across the board to make a real, winning "team." It is time to add at least one premiere talent at any of those positions on D, and work to fill out the rest of our roster with upgrades, as opposed to sticking with some of our own who haven't been getting the job done. It would be nice to see the team leadership expand to other areas of our Packers team other than QB.

Leadership has been a problem in GB. When your trusted veteran CB, Tramon Williams, comes out publicly to state this after the season's end, maybe it is time to start listening. Add some quality, proven vets Ted. I found it really odd that we were in some games after Rodgers went down, except for our defense tanking. How the hell does Rodgers going down correlate to such a swift downfall in our defense? Well, pretty much the same way Peyton being flustered in the SB against SEA brought their entire team down. Too heavy a reliance on one player.

Figuring Ted likes to stick solely to the draft, I would be hard pressed to see us returning to another SB and winning for at least a few years, knowing many important players we've added in the last few drafts are slipping in their development (Burnett, Perry, House, Hayward, Worthy to name a few), and it will take time for new draftees to develop enough to make the significant contributions we have been lacking, needing to truly compete.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 2/5/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#78 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:56:41 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,740
Applause Received: 1,790

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Thompson should have gotten a quality cover Safety LAST YEAR! Or, maybe made a trade for one when Collins went down in 2011.

I know right! I mean, WTF, why didn't he go to "Safeties 'R Us" and fix that because quality safeties are a dime a dozen, ya know!!

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
DoddPower on 2/6/2014(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#79 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:17:08 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I know right! I mean, WTF, why didn't he go to "Safeties 'R Us" and fix that because quality safeties are a dime a dozen, ya know!!

That's funny. But, the reality was Collins was a Pro Bowl Safety. Morgan Burnett was seeing his first real action after sitting out most of the 2010 with a knee injury. That left Charlie Peprah. Our depth chart at Safety literally listed Burnett, Collins and Peprah.

So, laugh all you want about there being some kind of shopping center for Pro Bowl Safeties, but losing a player as important to the team as Collins, in September (trade deadline that year was Oct 18th, 2011)… Ted had enough time to try to work a deal or sign another player, especially knowing we are primed to make another SB run. Without a player like Collins, we were significantly less primed, with just two safeties remaining on the roster, Peprah and Burnett.

Moving Woodson to Safety, coming off a broken collar bone, and removing him from his CB slot where he gained DPOY honors didn't make a ton of sense to me, but it certainly was a cheap way out.

That was some "bump in the road…"

Quote:
Collins waved to the crowd while being wheeled off the field.

"He's on pace to potentially have a Hall of Fame career here," McCarthy said. "Hopefully, this is just a bump in the road. We're going to miss him."

Peprah says he's taking the same approach as he did stepping in for Burnett last year.

"They're expecting me to go in and have no drop-off," Peprah said. "I'm going to go in and do the best I can, and hopefully that will be more than enough to get back to where we were last year."
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6993319/nick-collins-green-bay-packers-season-neck-injury

3 years later, we are still jolted by that bump in the road.
Offline steveishere  
#80 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:51:54 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Applause Given: 27
Applause Received: 599

Considering Woodson had fallen off as a CB and is now currently still playing safety I'd say it made plenty of sense. It's not like we were lacking at the slot CB in 2012 with Hayward.
Offline play2win  
#81 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:18:57 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Considering Woodson had fallen off as a CB and is now currently still playing safety I'd say it made plenty of sense. It's not like we were lacking at the slot CB in 2012 with Hayward.

I was talking about 2011, after Collins was declared out for the season, with Woodson coming off the broken collar bone, and Williams out with a bum shoulder...
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#82 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:19:45 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Applause Given: 349
Applause Received: 210

We all can see it, so WHY didn't Thompson make it happen? Quality Safeties may not be a dime a dozen, but they are out there - even as free agents. There are several who would fit very well this year; I can't really recall who was available as a quality cover Safety last off-season or the year before, but undoubtedly there were some. And money/cap problems can always be overcome.

And while Safety may be the most immediate and obvious problem, it certainly isn't the only one that has been neglected and exposed by Rodgers getting hurt this year.

With Rodgers healthy, we simply are NOT that far away from having a super team. It's a damn shame not to close the deal while we still have the world's greatest QB.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline steveishere  
#83 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:45:23 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Applause Given: 27
Applause Received: 599

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I was talking about 2011, after Collins was declared out for the season, with Woodson coming off the broken collar bone, and Williams out with a bum shoulder...

I don't get it then Woodson still played CB in 2011 and then re broke his collarbone in 2012 while playing S.
Offline play2win  
#84 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:34:18 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

They tried him at S in the Corner Okie for a base D and it didn't work in 2011 after Collins went down, platooning with Peprah when they switched to nickel.

http://www.packersnews.c...0110925/PKR01/110925057/

And, it didn't work in 2012 either, when they saw Charlie Peprah wasn't the answer…

http://jerseyal.com/GBP/...luation-and-report-card/

All I know is 3 years later we still don't have anyone we can really trust at either FS or SS.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#85 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 12:07:04 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 345

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
We all can see it, so WHY didn't Thompson make it happen? Quality Safeties may not be a dime a dozen, but they are out there - even as free agents. There are several who would fit very well this year; I can't really recall who was available as a quality cover Safety last off-season or the year before, but undoubtedly there were some. And money/cap problems can always be overcome.

And while Safety may be the most immediate and obvious problem, it certainly isn't the only one that has been neglected and exposed by Rodgers getting hurt this year.

With Rodgers healthy, we simply are NOT that far away from having a super team. It's a damn shame not to close the deal while we still have the world's greatest QB.

There were about 2 and they would have run us about 8mil. Unless we went the Ed Reed route like Houston for 5 mil for 5 weeks.

I was kind of upset we didn't wait off on doing Rodgers and/or Matthews contracts last year and making a full scale push before putting that cap restrictions on the team.

but like there is no guarantee in winning a SB, there is no guarantee that players that are good on one team will be good on the Packers.

If we had used this same thinking in the past, we would have brought in a FA to replace both Sharper and Collins before they become the safeties they ended up being. Neither were much to brag about their first 3 years.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan on 2/5/2014(UTC)