MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY – Aaron Rodgers was pissed. There’s really no other way to put it. Annoyed doesn’t quite capture it. Perturbed doesn’t, either.

The Green Bay Packers quarterback was the reigning NFL MVP, coming off a season in which he’d thrown 45 touchdowns against only six interceptions. The year before, he’d led the Packers to the Super Bowl XLV title and been the MVP of that game, too. He was, by all accounts, on top of his game.

And now, arguably the best quarterback in the league was going to have to listen to … the tight ends coach?

Yes, that was how the dominoes fell in February 2012, when offensive coordinator Joe Philbin left to become the head coach of the Miami Dolphins, longtime quarterbacks coach Tom Clements was promoted to offensive coordinator and head coach Mike McCarthy saw fit to put Ben McAdoo in charge of the quarterbacks.

Then McCarthy went out and hired Alex Van Pelt – a former NFL quarterback, who had coached quarterbacks in Buffalo and Tampa Bay, who fit the exact profile of the position coach Rodgers felt he needed – to be the team’s running backs coach.

So you can see why the quarterback was, well, less than thrilled.

And yet, McAdoo didn’t blink. He didn’t kowtow to the MVP, didn’t worry about whether the most popular kid in school was going to like him or be his BFF.

“I’m going to go about it the way I go about everything else – I’m going to show up, put in an honest, hard day’s work, give him the information he needs and count on him to give me back some information [and] communicate with me. And that’s how we’re going to do it. It’s going to be simple,” McAdoo explained in an interview later that offseason. “Like you learn from Day 1 in any business, you have to communicate. And if there’s not communication, there’s no chance to be successful and build a successful relationship.

“I understood where he was coming from. I’m not defensive about that. I didn’t play the position, I’ve never coached the position. I have something to prove. I’m very capable. I’ve never been the pretty girl in the room. I’ve always had to work for what I have. And I like that.”

On Tuesday night, all that work led the 36-year-old McAdoo to the New York Giants, who hired him as their new offensive coordinator. He replaces Kevin Gilbride, who retired after seven years in that role, and he will now take over an offense that finished the 2013 season ranked 28th in the 32-team NFL yards, 28th in scoring, 29th in rushing and 19th in passing. Quarterback Eli Manning threw an NFL-high and franchise-record 27 interceptions.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin, who interviewed McAdoo on Monday, called him “the best coach for the job” and described McAdoo as a “very, very meticulous coach” who was greatly influenced by McCarthy, with whom he worked in New Orleans (2004) and San Francisco (2005) before serving as the Packers’ tight ends coach for six years.

“Think about what they overcame this year in Green Bay,” Coughlin told Giants.com, referring to Rodgers’ Nov. 4 broken collarbone and the three other quarterbacks – Seneca Wallace, Scott Tolzien and Matt Flynn – who played during the eight games Rodgers spent on the sideline.

“He’s a western Pennsylvania guy who has earned everything and he’s earned it the hard way. He’s a smart guy. He’s done it the right way. He’s not a flashy guy. He’s a smart, intelligent guy to work with. He works very, very hard. He’s got the dirt under his fingernails. He’s my kind of guy. He’s got the blue-collar work ethic.

“Here’s what I expect: I think the players will respond to this. We’re going to try to compromise the system with what we have here. However, there will be change. And that change will be very positive and very well-received by our team and our players. And if our players are scrambling around to learn a new system – good. That’s another fire in their rear end.”

In his interview with McAdoo, who also interviewed for the Cleveland Browns’ head-coaching position and the Miami Dolphins’ offensive coordinator job, Coughlin said he came away “very, very impressed by the presentation that he made, in terms of the fundamental details. Whether it is quarterback fundamentals [or] offensive philosophy, I was just very, very impressed with that.

“Whether he was the tight ends or the quarterbacks coach, he has prepared for this type of an interview for a long time. He comes with two notebooks, all the things he’s put together and thought about and when given the opportunity, wanted to present.”

And that brings us back to those first few weeks and months as Rodgers’ position coach, when the quarterback was sure that McCarthy had made a mistake.

Two years later, as it became clear to Rodgers that McAdoo would be moving on to bigger and better things in the days after the Packers’ season-ending playoff loss to San Francisco, the quarterback sought out McAdoo. He had something to say.

He was wrong.

“I told him this actually. I said, ‘When there was an opening as Joe left and Tom (Clements) moved up, I said I thought having a guy who played the position was right for me at that point,’” Rodgers recounted on his weekly radio show on 540 ESPN, 100.5 FM ESPN and ESPNWisconsin.com last week. “But I told Ben this: ‘Ultimately, I need and have always needed a guy who gets me prepared every week, that can give me the opportunities to reach my potential.’

“Ben did that every day the last two seasons for me and the other quarterbacks in the room. It was fun to see his personality continue to come out this year as we became closer and he just allowed himself to relax and be comfortable in those rooms. It helped having a great quarterback room with Seneca and Scott and Matt. It was a lot of fun for me and a lot of fun for us, as well.”

Asked what changed about their relationship, Rodgers replied: “Just spending time together. You can’t help but respect Ben the more time you spend with him because he really cares about his job. He spends a lot of time there. He puts a lot of effort into our reminder stuff. He listens when you talk. He asks good questions. He understands the nature of certain conversations that need to stay in the room [and] which need to be filtered up the chain of command. He’s a guy who wants to learn and takes to heart the things I say or the things he hears from Tom [Clements] and tried to become a better quarterbacks coach every day. And he did.

“I think he’s beginning to really understand scheme and preparation and how to install plays. I think he did a great job the last couple years installing the red zone [plays]. You saw him in front of the room every week and every week he got more comfortable and put more into his presentation, and more of his personality came out. There were jokes and an ability to control the room. Obviously, the people who are interested in him for a head-coaching job haven’t seen that, but to me that’s an important quality of a head coach. The ability to control a room with your speech, (or) with humor when necessary. He proved it every day that he was a very prepared coach. And I’m happy for him getting opportunities.”

Jason Wilde  wrote:

nerdmann
10 years ago
Wouldn't have minded him calling plays for us.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
10 years ago
I'd like to see the evidence that Rodgers was pissed about this or even a little perturbed or annoyed. If someone has links to article or interviews where Rodgers voiced such opinions I would appreciate it.

I googled all sorts of combinations and could find nothing of the sort.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

I'd like to see the evidence that Rodgers was pissed about this or even a little perturbed or annoyed. If someone has links to article or interviews where Rodgers voiced such opinions I would appreciate it.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

You beat me to it hahahaha. That's what I was gonna say.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
rabidgopher04
10 years ago

These kinds of things don't always make it to the media, and rightfully shouldn't. No reason to air dirty laundry like this and throw people under the bus before they even have a chance. Rodgers was wise not to say anything at the time.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
What's the expression? "Capturing lightning in a bottle"?

Strange/Ironic/whatever how Packer Offensive Coaches, especially QB Coaches get hired as Head Coaches - when McCarthy is the guy basically running the offense and calling the plays. Never mind for the moment any controversy about that playcalling; The Packer offense has been EXTREMELY successful. I wonder whether Philbin and McAdoo can produce that lightning without Aaron Rodgers slinging it. Andy Reid did all right without Favre, so who knows.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
sschind
10 years ago

These kinds of things don't always make it to the media, and rightfully shouldn't. No reason to air dirty laundry like this and throw people under the bus before they even have a chance. Rodgers was wise not to say anything at the time.

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 

Exactly but if he didn't say anything how do we know it happened. Has Rodgers said something recently along the lines of "initially I wasn't real happy about it" I did find two other recent references, one was a blog and the other another article but interestingly both were also written by Wilde. I really can't see Rodgers, or really any other athlete for that matter, making remarks like that.

If it was a recent comment the article is misleading as Wilde makes it sound like he made his feelings know when it happened. At least it sounded like that to me.

sschind
10 years ago

What's the expression? "Capturing lightning in a bottle"?

Strange/Ironic/whatever how Packer Offensive Coaches, especially QB Coaches get hired as Head Coaches - when McCarthy is the guy basically running the offense and calling the plays. Never mind for the moment any controversy about that playcalling; The Packer offense has been EXTREMELY successful. I wonder whether Philbin and McAdoo can produce that lightning without Aaron Rodgers slinging it. Andy Reid did all right without Favre, so who knows.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I think Philbin can be a success in Miami. If they can put the circus of the bully and the baby to rest and get focused again they could give New England a run for their money. I think Tannehill will be a very good QB and give Wallace another year and I think their offense will be strong. They are definitely a team on the rise. The Giants, maybe not so much.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

Exactly but if he didn't say anything how do we know it happened. Has Rodgers said something recently along the lines of "initially I wasn't real happy about it" I did find two other recent references, one was a blog and the other another article but interestingly both were also written by Wilde. I really can't see Rodgers, or really any other athlete for that matter, making remarks like that.

If it was a recent comment the article is misleading as Wilde makes it sound like he made his feelings know when it happened. At least it sounded like that to me.

You really don't think Aaron Rodgers was pissed that a person who never played nor coached QB's before was his new position coach after blatantly stating that is precisely what he wanted?

You really think Jason Wilde who has a weekly radio show during the season is making this up?

You really think it's that far fetched that Mr. Sensitive was pissed off about it?

I would put money down that Jason sent Aaron an iMessage (or received permission during the last Tuesday with Aaron) saying he was going to make his being pissed off known publicly. Why? If anything it goes to show Aaron can adapt. It shows Ben was able to WIN OVER A PISSED OFF MVP QB.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago
I've been concerned this season that Aaron's ego was getting out of control in a way similar to that of Favre. It wasn't just that he was getting into it with Mike on the sideline, but there were little tidbits here and there in the media about him not being happy or having disagreements with the playbooks and whatnot.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
dfosterf (16h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (17h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (20h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (22h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.