Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DoddPower  
#16 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 7:13:22 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,833
Applause Received: 428

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
I hope you realize that comparison is pretty off as there is a lot of difference between them...

Lacy was already a complete back where Franklin is project for the coaches and they haven't had a full offseason with him yet.

Lacy is a physical back already and some said he would of been a 1st round pick if there was no injury concerns. Where Franklin is a speed/quickness back where he has to get used to more physicalness and used to having defenses faster... where that doesn't matter with Lacy but he's used to not using only his speed/quickness but some physical as well.

Some guys are going to need little adjustments into the NFL where others are going to need a lot.

Yeah, that was a silly comparison.

Offline nerdmann  
#17 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 7:23:24 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,356
Applause Received: 594

Originally Posted by: luigis Go to Quoted Post
Lacy, Harris and Starks will be a very good group of RBs.

I don't see Jonathan Franklin making the roster next year regardless of what happens with Starks and Harris.

I see Franklin as the next Tony Dorsett, assuming his neck injury isn't career ending.

I don't think this staff likes Starks, for whatever reason. I love Starks, but the coaches don't seem to think very highly of him imo.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline sschind  
#18 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 11:51:04 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 110
Applause Received: 407

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
I see Franklin as the next Tony Dorsett, assuming his neck injury isn't career ending.

I don't think this staff likes Starks, for whatever reason. I love Starks, but the coaches don't seem to think very highly of him imo.

I'm not sure I agree about them not liking Starks but it looks like they may be higher on Harris. Personally, if it came down to the two, I'd rather see them cut Harris and give Starks whatever money they would be paying him. It may not be enough to make a difference but anyone who says they would rather have Harris over Starks as the #2 man given what Starks has done this year is an idiot. I'm talking from a position aspect and not from a salary cap aspect of course. I'd much rather have Lacy, Starks, Franklin over Lacy, Harris, Franklin even if it mean an extra million or 2 a year.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline nerdmann  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 6:52:58 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,356
Applause Received: 594

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure I agree about them not liking Starks but it looks like they may be higher on Harris. Personally, if it came down to the two, I'd rather see them cut Harris and give Starks whatever money they would be paying him. It may not be enough to make a difference but anyone who says they would rather have Harris over Starks as the #2 man given what Starks has done this year is an idiot. I'm talking from a position aspect and not from a salary cap aspect of course. I'd much rather have Lacy, Starks, Franklin over Lacy, Harris, Franklin even if it mean an extra million or 2 a year.

If Harris can really be a Sproles type guy, that's awesome. I just have a small body of work to go on.

Dude needs to prove it to me. Unlike Starks. I feel like we know what we have with him. Could want to start somewhere tho.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 1 applause.
sschind on 1/7/2014(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:37:08 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
If Harris can really be a Sproles type guy, that's awesome. I just have a small body of work to go on.

Dude needs to prove it to me. Unlike Starks. I feel like we know what we have with him. Could want to start somewhere tho.

Exactly. Starks should have erased most of if not all of the doubt people had about him this year. He was injured for a few games so that doubt may still linger but any doubts about his ability should be gone.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline gbguy20  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 11:26:15 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 284

whats the thought process behind starks not being affordable? i mean, obviously he is a luxury and in that it makes him expendable, but what makes people think he expects a big contract? he did nothing more than play a backup role this season and in training camp he was most peoples' pick for not making the team.
call me Dan
Offline sschind  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:00:09 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
whats the thought process behind starks not being affordable? i mean, obviously he is a luxury and in that it makes him expendable, but what makes people think he expects a big contract? he did nothing more than play a backup role this season and in training camp he was most peoples' pick for not making the team.

I think the thought process is that at 5.5 YPC he may have caught the eye of some other team that may offer him more than the Packers are willing to pay.

Maybe affordable is not the right word to be using as they could easily sign him if they wanted and it wouldn't hurt their cap position too much.

He played a backup role but it was big. 100 yards in one game. a 5.5 YPC average. As far as being everyone choice to be cut last season so what. If a guy is your choice to be cut and he has a great year does that mean you still should cut him. A lot can change in a year.

I see James Jones and James Starks in the same boat. Both have played important roles and both are more than capable of stepping up and playing more than a backup role if need be but they may become victims of crowded positions and perceived over value. It seems that a lot of people look at a team as a bunch of high priced starters and the rest a bunch of minimum wage backups. IMO however, if you want quality depth you have to pay for it.

Jones made about 3.75 million last year and I think he earned it. If they can get him to go for another deal worth around 3.5 to 4 million per year I say go for it. As for Starks, he earned every bit of his 655 thousand dollars and I say he is worth a deal somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 million per year especially since they have Lacy relatively cheap for the next 2 years (771K and 925K) If he keeps up production they will give him an extension and his 1 mill number in 2016 will certainly go up. For the next two years however spending 4 to 4.5 million on a very good group of RBs is something I could live with. D. Harris is also a FA after next year.

I wonder what everyone else thinks these guys would be worth?
Rss Feed