Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 23, 2013 9:06:04 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 419
Applause Received: 249

I get to see him play more down here than I get to see the Packers. He does a lot of great things, and he makes a lot of glaring blunders - less this season than any in the past, I think.

There is temptation to compare Romo's situation to Rodgers, but it's fairly significantly different. Unlike a collarbone, a herniated disk in the back really could be career threatening or worse. Just the same, I find it ironic or whatever the right word is, that Romo finished out the game after his injury, completing the drive with several key passes, and won the game. Then when the God damned medical staff was able to get their mitts on him, it was decided (apparently) that he is out for the season - although his coach claims to be holding out hope that he can still play.

The other comparison (or more accurately, contrast) is that Jerry Jones did a helluva lot better job of preparing for the worst case than Ted Thompson. On that same topic, Dallas has built a very credible D Line basically on the fly with a bunch of injuries since the season started - better than what we have, based on performance, and Dallas has put together an O Line that is far from the best in the league, but which gives Romo and Murray significantly more room to do the job than the Packer RBs and QBs have gotten over the past couple of years.

The much maligned Mr. Jones has done a LOT better job as a GM that the piece of crap we have - IMNHO.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Sponsor
Offline DakotaT  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 23, 2013 9:39:09 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 650
Applause Received: 1,338

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I get to see him play more down here than I get to see the Packers. He does a lot of great things, and he makes a lot of glaring blunders - less this season than any in the past, I think.

There is temptation to compare Romo's situation to Rodgers, but it's fairly significantly different. Unlike a collarbone, a herniated disk in the back really could be career threatening or worse. Just the same, I find it ironic or whatever the right word is, that Romo finished out the game after his injury, completing the drive with several key passes, and won the game. Then when the God damned medical staff was able to get their mitts on him, it was decided (apparently) that he is out for the season - although his coach claims to be holding out hope that he can still play.

The other comparison (or more accurately, contrast) is that Jerry Jones did a helluva lot better job of preparing for the worst case than Ted Thompson. On that same topic, Dallas has built a very credible D Line basically on the fly with a bunch of injuries since the season started - better than what we have, based on performance, and Dallas has put together an O Line that is far from the best in the league, but which gives Romo and Murray significantly more room to do the job than the Packer RBs and QBs have gotten over the past couple of years.

The much maligned Mr. Jones has done a LOT better job as a GM that the piece of crap we have - IMNHO.


Uhm, we've won two Lombardis since Jerruh bought his last one. Ah forget it, you won't rest until you get somebody to agree with your dumb ass. Most of the guys in here think Ted Thompson has done a good job.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 12/24/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 7:15:02 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,899
Applause Received: 1,407

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Uhm, we've won two Lombardis since Jerruh bought his last one. Ah forget it, you won't rest until you get somebody to agree with your dumb ass. Most of the guys in here think Ted Thompson has done a good job.



I would take Uncle Teddy in a heart beat over Jerry the Clown. And Romo is an average QB who plays for a major market team in the age of passing dominance due to NFL rules revisions.

If Romo played in Jacksonville or in the 60-70's no one who even know who he is.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline texaspackerbacker  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 10:44:02 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 419
Applause Received: 249

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I would take Uncle Teddy in a heart beat over Jerry the Clown. And Romo is an average QB who plays for a major market team in the age of passing dominance due to NFL rules revisions.

If Romo played in Jacksonville or in the 60-70's no one who even know who he is.


Thank you for that kernel of wisdom hahahaha. You couldn't be more right about your last paragraph because there was no NFL team even in Jacksonville in the 60-70s. Maybe you were thinking of the Sharks of the old WFL in the late 70s.

I'm not gonna particularly defend either Jones or Romo. The point is, no matter how much in denial a lot of people are around here, TED THOMPSON HAS BEEN A generally sh*tTY GM.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 12:15:58 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 419
Applause Received: 249

Latest News: Jerry Jones says there's a good chance Romo will play against the Eagles next week - if he gets "medical clearance" - that familiar bugaboo.

Prediction: Jones, seeing the harm wrought in Green Bay by an administrator lacking balls, will see to it Romo DOES get medical clearance - firing as many doctors as it takes to get one to clear him.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline wpr  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:05:42 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,899
Applause Received: 1,407

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I would take Uncle Teddy in a heart beat over Jerry the Clown. And Romo is an average QB who plays for a major market team in the age of passing dominance due to NFL rules revisions.

If Romo played in Jacksonville or in the 60-70's no one who even know who he is.


Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for that kernel of wisdom hahahaha. You couldn't be more right about your last paragraph because there was no NFL team even in Jacksonville in the 60-70s. Maybe you were thinking of the Sharks of the old WFL in the late 70s.

I'm not gonna particularly defend either Jones or Romo. The point is, no matter how much in denial a lot of people are around here, TED THOMPSON HAS BEEN A generally sh*tTY GM.



I know it is difficult for you to comprehend.

I said a major market team which Jacksonville is not.
Then I compared playing in the 60's or 70's to today's easier passer friendly rules.

NOT playing in Jacksonville in the 60's.

"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline sschind  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:18:21 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 117
Applause Received: 412

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Uhm, we've won two Lombardis since Jerruh bought his last one. Ah forget it, you won't rest until you get somebody to agree with your dumb ass. Most of the guys in here think Ted Thompson has done a good job.



If agreeing with him would get him to stop I'd be tempted to take one for the team but I honestly don't think it would work so why be the martyr?


MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline sschind  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:21:23 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 117
Applause Received: 412

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Latest News: Jerry Jones says there's a good chance Romo will play against the Eagles next week - if he gets "medical clearance" - that familiar bugaboo.

Prediction: Jones, seeing the harm wrought in Green Bay by an administrator lacking balls, will see to it Romo DOES get medical clearance - firing as many doctors as it takes to get one to clear him.


And that makes him a better GM? Firing people who disagree with you just so you can have your way, even if your way may not be the right way? Whatever.

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:04:38 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 419
Applause Received: 249

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I know it is difficult for you to comprehend.

I said a major market team which Jacksonville is not.
Then I compared playing in the 60's or 70's to today's easier passer friendly rules.

NOT playing in Jacksonville in the 60's.



hahahaha in that case, I guess there is no kernel of wisdom. WHY would Romo not be known if he played in Jacksonville - or some other small market like oh, let's see, Green Bay maybe? Granted, he ain't Aaron Rodgers, but the small market doesn't seem to do any harm to Russell Wilson who's no better and playing in a small market or Ben Roethlisberger or Joe Flacco or Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck, all of whom play in pretty small markets. And I believe there were some pretty well known QBs back in the 60s and 70s too, which I don't really need to name.

Romo is not a top four QB, but for sure, he ranks somewhere between 5th and 10th.

And the main point was and is, TED THOMPSON HAS DONE A sh*tTY JOB AS GM.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:15:38 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 419
Applause Received: 249

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
And that makes him a better GM? Firing people who disagree with you just so you can have your way, even if your way may not be the right way? Whatever.

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone



I wouldn't say Jerry Jones ranks very high as a "GM", but I would say he is a lot better at it than Ted Thompson.

And yeah, if you have an arrogant hyper-cautious specialist whose decision you think is hurting the team, a good administrator would have the balls to get rid of him and hire somebody who with better judgment. I wouldn't expect the bunch of timid little followers in this forum to understand that kind of thinking, though.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline wpr  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:46:18 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,899
Applause Received: 1,407

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
hahahaha in that case, I guess there is no kernel of wisdom. WHY would Romo not be known if he played in Jacksonville - or some other small market like oh, let's see, Green Bay maybe? Granted, he ain't Aaron Rodgers, but the small market doesn't seem to do any harm to Russell Wilson who's no better and playing in a small market or Ben Roethlisberger or Joe Flacco or Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck, all of whom play in pretty small markets. And I believe there were some pretty well known QBs back in the 60s and 70s too, which I don't really need to name.

Romo is not a top four QB, but for sure, he ranks somewhere between 5th and 10th.

And the main point was and is, TED THOMPSON HAS DONE A sh*tTY JOB AS GM.


The 5th-10th best QB's come and go all the time. Aaron may be in a small market but he is an extra ordinary QB as is Brady and Manning, Peyton that is. Over time people will more or less forget the Flacco's, Rothenberger's and Wilsons. Romo falls into that same group. He is nobody special. When he is put out to pasture there will be 3 others who can take his place.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline texaspackerbacker  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:10:55 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 419
Applause Received: 249

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
The 5th-10th best QB's come and go all the time. Aaron may be in a small market but he is an extra ordinary QB as is Brady and Manning, Peyton that is. Over time people will more or less forget the Flacco's, Rothenberger's and Wilsons. Romo falls into that same group. He is nobody special. When he is put out to pasture there will be 3 others who can take his place.


Uh ....... yes, if you water it down like that, I have to agree. What was the original point again?

I was just thinking, has there EVER been a better QB who went to high school in the state of Wisconsin?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline dhazer  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 25, 2013 9:00:23 AM(UTC)
dhazer

Rank: Pro Bowl

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 195

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I would take Uncle Teddy in a heart beat over Jerry the Clown. And Romo is an average QB who plays for a major market team in the age of passing dominance due to NFL rules revisions.

If Romo played in Jacksonville or in the 60-70's no one who even know who he is.


WPR that is a very bad exmple because what qb would look good in jacksonville? Also the only qb I believe that would be known back in the 60's and 70's I believe would be Big Ben or Peyton Manning. Ben because of his size would be able to handle the hits back then, you know before they made the qb position a pussy position. And I think Manning would be known because he calls his own plays now like they did back then.

UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline steveishere  
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:56:11 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 915

How can dallas have a good defensive line when we all watched our supposedly complete sh*t offensive line dominate them. Not to mention that our sh*tty team beat their team without Rodgers and they had a healthy Romo.
Offline wpr  
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2013 12:13:45 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,899
Applause Received: 1,407

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
WPR that is a very bad exmple because what qb would look good in jacksonville? Also the only qb I believe that would be known back in the 60's and 70's I believe would be Big Ben or Peyton Manning. Ben because of his size would be able to handle the hits back then, you know before they made the qb position a pussy position. And I think Manning would be known because he calls his own plays now like they did back then.



well it does make my point which is Romo is average to slightly above average.

If he did not play in a large like Dallas OR
if he played in the days before the rules that favor QBs so much-



we would not even think about him.


The better QBs, like Rodgers have shown they can play in a small market and have a large audience/appeal. They can play with a poor OL and still succeed. But chose KC, Tampa, Cleveland, San Diego. Chose any small market you want. The point still remains which is if he played in for a small market team, 5 minutes after he hangs up his jock the world will have forgotten Romo. Because he played in Dallas it will take a little longer.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.628 seconds.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
5h / Random Babble / uffda udfa

5h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackFanWithTwins

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / uffda udfa

6h / Random Babble / wpr

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / evad04

8h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Smokey

9h / Random Babble / dfosterf

9h / Around The NFL / Smokey

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bozz_2006

12h / Random Babble / Wade

13h / Random Babble / Wade


Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.