Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline cheeseheads123  
#31 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 3:13:36 PM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 68
Applause Received: 106

The Saints went from one of the worst defenses in the league last year to a top 5-10 defense this year. Saints fans strongly felt that it was because of the lack of talent and I am pretty sure they only brought in a few new faces this season. However, they did change defensive coordinators. What I am getting at is that I am still not ready to declare that our defensive problems are because of the lack of talent.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 11/25/2013(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#32 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 3:28:33 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 209
Applause Received: 350

They were also mired in bounty-gate. But I see where your head is at. Do people believe Dom's coaching is outdated, that he has lost his ability the players to play to their ability or what? Or do we just crave change now when times look bleak? I wish I knew. The players sound like they are holding themselves accountable though and that to me is the sign of good coaching.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#33 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 3:52:04 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/17/2012(UTC)
Location: Hanover Park, IL

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
Don't give me well they are injured excuse because he has a tendency to draft players with injury history. Do I say replace him? No not at this time because I can't think of who we could get to replace him.



Does he really? Was there really any really big injury history with any of the players we've drafted? Or did they just start getting injured when they got to the NFL?

I don't recall anything other than this year with Lacy.
Offline steveishere  
#34 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 3:59:07 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 924

This is just my opinion but I feel like our players on offense are playing up to their talent level for the most part. I don't think that's the case for a majority of the defensive players. That's why I lean toward coaching being a problem. They'll have some stretches in games on D where they completely dominate the other team and then all of a sudden they fall apart and start getting thrashed for a huge stretch of the game. I realize the other team gets paid too but I've rarely walked away from watching a game thinking our defense out coached the other teams offense. Mostly when we have a good defensive game it felt more like surviving than dominating.
Offline Yerko  
#35 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 4:00:13 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/15/2008(UTC)
Location: Chicago, IL

Applause Given: 146
Applause Received: 243

Damn you to hell Ted Thompson for not having the ability to efficiently fill in the voids at 16 different positions due to injuries.

You are awful.
UserPostedImage
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#36 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 4:00:51 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 298
Applause Received: 420

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
Does he really? Was there really any really big injury history with any of the players we've drafted? Or did they just start getting injured when they got to the NFL?

I don't recall anything other than this year with Lacy.


The only other players I can remember were James Starks(6th rnd pick), who has worked out pretty well and Justin Harrell(1st rnd pick), who as we all know didn't get on the field very much.

I'll call it a "wash"

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
Offline warhawk  
#37 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 4:01:08 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Received: 217

All this for a team that has won more games than probably 98% of the other NFL teams over the last five years?

Pretty short memories, eh?

I don't buy the "just Arod" theory going around either. Would either Tolzein or Flynn not benefit from having Cobb and Finley out there to throw to? Call me nuts but I think those two benefit MORE if these guys could play because Rodgers is just that good. He makes average players look good.

These other guys NEED that talent around them. We don't have the guys on the field that puts this offense in the top two or three in the entire league. Now we don't have the guys on the field to help a Flynn or whoever pull out wins. That includes Barclay.

Put it this way. This week we were without the services of Rodgers, Finley, Cobb, Barclay, Perry, Shields, Jolly and Hayward. Throw Bulaga in there for good measure and I would say that's the start of a pretty damn good football team don't ya think?

So they replace these guys with others that have greater weakness' (that's why they don't start, right?) and the coaches have to try and figure out how to least expose the weak areas of these players game and still be able to create a functional game plan.

But we sit here and kick TT's butt, McCarthy, the Assistant coaches, the scheme, and, the players still left standing.

You know what? I like this team. I like the players. I like the coaches. Give them a couple of DB's that don't need seeing eye dogs and they are as good as anybody. Too bad half of 'em are sitting over there with beanies or hoodies watching.















"The train is leaving the station."
thanks Post received 3 applause.
buckeyepackfan on 11/25/2013(UTC), Yerko on 11/25/2013(UTC), Gaycandybacon on 11/25/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#38 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 4:41:08 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,517
Applause Received: 630

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
Does he really? Was there really any really big injury history with any of the players we've drafted? Or did they just start getting injured when they got to the NFL?

I don't recall anything other than this year with Lacy.


Ted gambled on Harrell with a high pick.

He does NOT routinely draft players with a long injury history.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nerdmann  
#39 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 4:43:22 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,517
Applause Received: 630

Originally Posted by: warhawk Go to Quoted Post
All this for a team that has won more games than probably 98% of the other NFL teams over the last five years?

Pretty short memories, eh?

I don't buy the "just Arod" theory going around either. Would either Tolzein or Flynn not benefit from having Cobb and Finley out there to throw to? Call me nuts but I think those two benefit MORE if these guys could play because Rodgers is just that good. He makes average players look good.

These other guys NEED that talent around them. We don't have the guys on the field that puts this offense in the top two or three in the entire league. Now we don't have the guys on the field to help a Flynn or whoever pull out wins. That includes Barclay.

Put it this way. This week we were without the services of Rodgers, Finley, Cobb, Barclay, Perry, Shields, Jolly and Hayward. Throw Bulaga in there for good measure and I would say that's the start of a pretty damn good football team don't ya think?

So they replace these guys with others that have greater weakness' (that's why they don't start, right?) and the coaches have to try and figure out how to least expose the weak areas of these players game and still be able to create a functional game plan.

But we sit here and kick TT's butt, McCarthy, the Assistant coaches, the scheme, and, the players still left standing.

You know what? I like this team. I like the players. I like the coaches. Give them a couple of DB's that don't need seeing eye dogs and they are as good as anybody. Too bad half of 'em are sitting over there with beanies or hoodies watching.

















It's not just having lost Aaron.

It's Mike's "low percentage philosophy." If Aaron is in there, defenses are gonna swing extra defenders deep. So what does he do? Attacks the deep zones.

With Tolzien in there, Ds stacked 8-9 in the box. So what does Mike do? Pounds Lacy into the pile and makes repatedly predictable 1-3 yard passes. Then we're all shocked when it fails and blame it on injuries. lol
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline dhazer  
#40 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 4:49:05 PM(UTC)
dhazer

Rank: Pro Bowl

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 196

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Replacing him would be foolish. He's a great talent evaluator. He just needs to pull a couple more triggers. Make a trade or two. Sign a good FA talent. Shore up some holes, quickly.

A closer look at his draft picks and UDFA signings shows quite a bit of talent that other teams would be envious of. The impact of Lacy, Bakhtiari, Hyde, Banjo from this year alone is pretty remarkable. Franklin still has time to make an impact, as does Tretter should he be cleared to play. Last year's Hayward pick was huge for us, and Perry, Worthy and Daniels look like they may pay big dividends. Cobb and House from 2011 were both good picks, Cobb a far better one.

Lots of whiffs in there too though… some proving left to do these next bunch of weeks. Maybe Sherrod comes in and does well.

Maybe we should be looking more at what our staff is doing with these players.


The part where you say he is a great talent evaluator is proven how? Because some of the guys are starting for us, doesn't exactly mean they would start on other teams. And as many draft picks he has every year is like me saying ok I have 17 shells in my gun and I should be able to hit you with one or 2 lol. Does that make me a marksman?

I just don't see all this talent everyone is claiming we have.

UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
thanks Post received 1 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 11/25/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#41 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 6:01:38 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,517
Applause Received: 630

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
The part where you say he is a great talent evaluator is proven how? Because some of the guys are starting for us, doesn't exactly mean they would start on other teams. And as many draft picks he has every year is like me saying ok I have 17 shells in my gun and I should be able to hit you with one or 2 lol. Does that make me a marksman?

I just don't see all this talent everyone is claiming we have.



How many other teams would even be in the conversation after having lost 10+ starters? How good is the #5 tackle on most teams?

How good is the #4 QB on most teams?

Sure it'd be nice if our defenders knew who to cover on game day and stayed in their gaps, but that's a different subject.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline steveishere  
#42 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 6:27:10 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 924

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
The part where you say he is a great talent evaluator is proven how? Because some of the guys are starting for us, doesn't exactly mean they would start on other teams. And as many draft picks he has every year is like me saying ok I have 17 shells in my gun and I should be able to hit you with one or 2 lol. Does that make me a marksman?

I just don't see all this talent everyone is claiming we have.



Ok well if hes not a very good talent evaluator that means theres a good number who are better so give us say 10 who are better.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#43 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 6:31:09 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/17/2012(UTC)
Location: Hanover Park, IL

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

All I ask of Ted next year is to take a damn chance on a pretty good free agent. I know it's a broken record here, but it's time we do it for once.

Just try it for once. Hell if we aren't winning up to the standards, would it even hurt? Is it a money thing?

My argument on the matter is you can still have a good draft plus add key free agents.

Look at how much better the Bears got by adding Peppers, Marshall, those offensive lineman they picked up this year. It works.

Imagine our team with some of these key additions, it could put us over the top.. Even doing it next year we could be Super Bowl contenders

It's all fine and dandy that we've been great at drafting players for years. But it's catching up to us.

Is this the problem why we aren't winning? No. It just wouldn't hurt to try something new.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#44 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 6:43:24 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 420
Applause Received: 251

Things are tough all over. This has been an uncommonly bad year for injuries for a lot of teams.

It seems that not very many are coming around to an anti-TT point of view. That is especially ironic since several of the biggest complainers about our personnel during gametime chat are still defending him.

Does anybody seriously think we would not have won these four games with Aaron Rodgers at QB? I would contend, however, that our O-Line has been underperforming all along, our D has been sub-standard for several years - masked by outscoring teams, our RBs were awful until this season, etc.

It seems like Ted Thompson has failed miserably on first round picks. Say what you want about bad luck on injuries - which is true, but the "good luck" of having Aaron Rodgers fall that far more than makes up for the bad luck.

I don't let McCarthy off the hook either. His reputation, like TT's is completely tied to having Rodgers. and arguably he has not maximized that benefit. I wouldn't excuse Campen either, although I don't think any badness attributed to him makes much difference - it's about personnel. I would, however excuse Capers. His job/his strong point is compensation - finessing opponents with tricks because the personnel he has to work with is sub-standard. Some of you short-memory guys don't remember what was his name? Robert Sanders? and the D Coordinator who came before him - both as plain vanilla as you can get. If we did that now - no blitzing/no tricks/no outguessing - we would probably give up about 60 points a game.

If getting back Aaron Rodgers and going back to outscoring teams while our QB is perpetually running for his life due to poor line blocking, etc. is good enough, the let Ted Thompson just keep on keeping on. That probably is what will happen. I'm just saying we COULD BE a lot better than that if Ted Thompson had done his job better/built a better supporting cast.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline cheeseheads123  
#45 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 6:45:24 PM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 68
Applause Received: 106

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
All I ask of Ted next year is to take a damn chance on a pretty good free agent. I know it's a broken record here, but it's time we do it for once.

Just try it for once. Hell if we aren't winning up to the standards, would it even hurt? Is it a money thing?

My argument on the matter is you can still have a good draft plus add key free agents.

Look at how much better the Bears got by adding Peppers, Marshall, those offensive lineman they picked up this year. It works.

Imagine our team with some of these key additions, it could put us over the top.. Even doing it next year we could be Super Bowl contenders

It's all fine and dandy that we've been great at drafting players for years. But it's catching up to us.

Is this the problem why we aren't winning? No. It just wouldn't hurt to try something new.


If the Packers keep Capers around next year i think Jarius Bryd would do wonders for the Packers
UserPostedImage
 
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
4 Pages<1234>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.382 seconds.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
18m / Random Babble / Pack93z

21m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

30m / Random Babble / Smokey

34m / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Smokey

42m / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

44m / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

50m / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

1h / Super Bowl Talk / Smokey

1h / Random Babble / Smokey

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / MintBaconDrivel

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / macbob

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

10h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Smokey

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann


Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.