play2win
10 years ago
Clay Matthews would make an awesome WILL LB in a 4-3. The playmaker. The Claymaker. He has all the versatility you look for in a WILL. Coverage. Pass Rush. Run Stop. Seek and Destroy.
DoddPower
10 years ago

yes we are aware if you read my earlier post I said I want 4 fattys that will clog the middle of the line and collapse the pocket into the QBs lap not allowing him the time or the place in which to step up and make a throw.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I suppose a defensive line of Jolly, Raji, Pickett, and Wilson would hold the point of attack and "clog the middle" pretty well, but I don't they would really collapse the pocket much. That's not really their game, especially Jolly, Wilson, and Pickett. If that was the case, they'd all be better pass rushers. Raji certainly has the talent to push the pocket, at times, but is far too inconsistent to be relied upon. Jolly and Wilson may get a little push, occasionally, but overall they are just too slow and most offensive linemen could at least hold their ground against them, even if they can't really drive them back in the running game.

As I said, I think the end result of a combination of bigger offensive linemen would just result in even less pass rush than the Packers have. Dom has ran a 5 defensive line package in the past on obvious rushing downs, and it wasn't very effective, either.

In my opinion, the best thing for the Packers pass rush is to get Mathews and Perry close to healthy and for Daniels, Jones, and possibly Worthy to continue to develop. I'm all for trying different things though, so I'd love to see Dom give the big guys a chance, but I think there's a good reason why he doesn't. Ultimately, the Packers just need Rodgers back so that they can score more points, force teams into mostly passing, and then give CM3, Perry, Daniels, Jones, Raji, Neal, et al. as many chances as possible to rush the QB. I think the Packers would be in the top 15 or possibly even top 10 in sacks if that was the case.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
We don't need no F'in fatties. By next season, we need Pickett to retire, Raji to sign with somebody else; Jolly to be NT in the base with Boyd maybe apprenticing at NT, with Daniels and D. Jones at the DE positions.

In passing situations, we need Daniels at NT with D. Jones and Neal either standing or in three-point, along with the 3-4 best LBs we can put on the field - Matthews and 2-3 question marks at this point, along with 4-5 DBs.

In extreme passing situations, take out Neal and/or 1-2 of the LBs, and use 5-6 DBs.

Have as many as 6 of those in any of the above situations positioned to rush the passer as needed.

We don't need to go to a base 4-3, and we don't need to get rid of Capers and his blitz packages.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
yeah let's stick a few 215 pound guys on the line and see how well they do. 🙄
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
10 years ago

Clay Matthews would make an awesome WILL LB in a 4-3. The playmaker. The Claymaker. He has all the versatility you look for in a WILL. Coverage. Pass Rush. Run Stop. Seek and Destroy.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I have always wondered why Capers doesn't give guys more chances to rush with their hands in the dirt. On obvious pass rushing situations, why not? Guys like Nick Perry and Mike Neal were very effective in college at doing that, but Capers almost never allows it to happen. I sometimes think Capers tries to fit players completely into his system rather than maximizing what talent players already have. In some ways, Capers is great at utilizing some talents (such as Charles Woodson), but not so much with others. I always thought it would make the most sense to let guys like Nick Perry focus on rushing the passer as a top priority, and then develop the all-around 3-4 line backer skills in time.

Perhaps players like Neal and Perry wouldn't be any more effective rushing the passer like they did in college than they are in Capers 3-4 system, but it is somewhat frustrating to not see them get a chance to prove it in games. I couldn't care less what "system" a team runs, I just want the defense to be effective. And a lot of that begins with an effective pass rush.
nerdmann
10 years ago

I have always wondered why Capers doesn't give guys more chances to rush with their hands in the dirt. On obvious pass rushing situations, why not? Guys like Nick Perry and Mike Neal were very effective in college at doing that, but Capers almost never allows it to happen. I sometimes think Capers tries to fit players completely into his system rather than maximizing what talent players already have. In some ways, Capers is great at utilizing some talents (such as Charles Woodson), but not so much with others. I always thought it would make the most sense to let guys like Nick Perry focus on rushing the passer as a top priority, and then develop the all-around 3-4 line backer skills in time.

Perhaps players like Neal and Perry wouldn't be any more effective rushing the passer like they did in college than they are in Capers 3-4 system, but it is somewhat frustrating to not see them get a chance to prove it in games. I couldn't care less what "system" a team runs, I just want the defense to be effective. And a lot of that begins with an effective pass rush.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

They have 4-3 personnel. Then they go and draft a 285 lb DE, for their 3-4.

lol
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
10 years ago

They have 4-3 personnel. Then they go and draft a 285 lb DE, for their 3-4.

lol

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Same size as JJ Watt and Justin Smith... lol
play2win
10 years ago

I suppose a defensive line of Jolly, Raji, Pickett, and Wilson would hold the point of attack and "clog the middle" pretty well, but I don't they would really collapse the pocket much. That's not really their game, especially Jolly, Wilson, and Pickett. If that was the case, they'd all be better pass rushers. Raji certainly has the talent to push the pocket, at times, but is far too inconsistent to be relied upon. Jolly and Wilson may get a little push, occasionally, but overall they are just too slow and most offensive linemen could at least hold their ground against them, even if they can't really drive them back in the running game.

As I said, I think the end result of a combination of bigger offensive linemen would just result in even less pass rush than the Packers have. Dom has ran a 5 defensive line package in the past on obvious rushing downs, and it wasn't very effective, either.

In my opinion, the best thing for the Packers pass rush is to get Mathews and Perry close to healthy and for Daniels, Jones, and possibly Worthy to continue to develop. I'm all for trying different things though, so I'd love to see Dom give the big guys a chance, but I think there's a good reason why he doesn't. Ultimately, the Packers just need Rodgers back so that they can score more points, force teams into mostly passing, and then give CM3, Perry, Daniels, Jones, Raji, Neal, et al. as many chances as possible to rush the QB. I think the Packers would be in the top 15 or possibly even top 10 in sacks if that was the case.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

We currently rank #11 in sacks in the NFL.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=SACKS&season=2013&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go 

AJ Hawk, MD Jennings, Brad Jones, Tramon Williams, Davon House, and Micah Hyde account for 9.5 of the 27 sacks registered by the Packers. Our secondary players account for 5.5 of those, led by Tramon with 2.5.

We've only had one sack from Neal and one from Jolly. 3 from Perry. 5 from Clay. Lattimore has a couple.

Datone looks to be coming on with 3. Daniels leads the DL with 4.5. Raji, Pick and Wilson 0s.

Seems like if they made getting to the QB more of a priority, we could really make some good things happen on the back end of our D by creating more INT opportunities. Something has to give here with regards to getting more pressure on the QB if we are to save this season. Hopefully, that happens in our front 7. Even better if we can accomplish that on the DL, who has accounted for just 8.5 of our 27 sacks.

http://www.packers.com/team/statistics.html 
warhawk
10 years ago

We don't need no F'in fatties. By next season, we need Pickett to retire, Raji to sign with somebody else; Jolly to be NT in the base with Boyd maybe apprenticing at NT, with Daniels and D. Jones at the DE positions.

In passing situations, we need Daniels at NT with D. Jones and Neal either standing or in three-point, along with the 3-4 best LBs we can put on the field - Matthews and 2-3 question marks at this point, along with 4-5 DBs.

In extreme passing situations, take out Neal and/or 1-2 of the LBs, and use 5-6 DBs.

Have as many as 6 of those in any of the above situations positioned to rush the passer as needed.

We don't need to go to a base 4-3, and we don't need to get rid of Capers and his blitz packages.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I agree. What I don't like to see however, is our CB's that can cover releasing WR's to the DB's that do not pick them up and can't find the ball.
The big problem right now is that the pressure is not there without a healthy CM3 or Perry. If we had those guys out there at full strength it would make a huge difference. You add Daniels, Jones, and maybe another LB or CB at times and the QB starts hitting the dirt a whole lot more often.
Right now we don't have the five guys in there when they need them to get the QB off their game.

"The train is leaving the station."
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
It is almost scary how often I agree with you Mr. Warhawk. Keep preaching my friend!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (15h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (21h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (21h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (21h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (21h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (21h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (21h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (21h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (21h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (22h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.