Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yerko  
#31 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:51:16 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/15/2008(UTC)
Location: Chicago, IL

Applause Given: 142
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
You'll have to excuse me for being old, but I don't even know who Emma Watson is hahahaha.

I assume you saw the same preseason games I saw, and for sure you watched last Monday night. I rest my case.

A decent backup QB should be able to come in the game and do like Josh McCown did when Cutler went out for the Bears ....... or a helluva lot of other backup QBs before that. Vince Young's ability to run combined with the game Lacy had would have been enough to beat the Bears, and if you don't think he would have been able to throw better than Wallace, well, you're beyond help.

BTW, my wife is 28, and she doesn't know who Emma Watson is either.


May as well throw this in here since this is about Seneca. I was blown away after listening to the Tuesdays with Aaron yesterday when he said that Seneca maybe gets 4 snaps ALL WEEK with the starters. Mainly shocked because I really don't think Rodgers would need that much practice during the week anyways...then again with having new receivers/tight ends, I guess that changes slightly.

Regardless, Wallace took 4 snaps with the starters all week and then is thrown to the wolves against a rival. I'm not making excuses for the guy because I honestly think the Packers have shot themselves in the foot with this back-up situation but to only have 4 overall snaps with the starters in one week isn't going to set you up for much success come game time.

This is something Bayless wouldn't understand as he continues to stand on his tiny soapbox. To bring in someone like Vince Young would put us right back to where we were on Monday vs the Bears. Guaranteed that brain of VY's has already forgot about the Packers playbook.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#32 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:09:13 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 405
Applause Received: 233

Vince Young's BRAIN a problem? Didn't they say that about, oh let's see, Terry Bradshaw? Phil Simms? and oh yeah, some guy named Favre?

This is the height of uninformed speculation. If somebody wanted to bring up his past psychological problems or whatever, fine, that was documented, I guess, although it is about equally speculative saying it might recur. But calling the guy stupid? Come on!

This is all irrelevant because apparently Vince Young isn't even being remotely considered. The discussion SHOULD be at this point, do the Packers just write off the Eagles game by using Wallace? Or do they get Tolzien in there and at least have some chance?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Pack93z  
#33 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:25:06 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

Vince Young is a run first pass second type player.. just like Wallace. How does that improve our chances? Young was the guy that didn't fit the offense in the preseason?

Will Wallace? Don't know.. but I certainly know this, the Packers will tailor the game plan this week for Wallace behind center.. bootleg and getting him to the edge of the defense more often. The one large limitation with Wallace.. I don't think he will scare the defense over the top.. so they are going to have to call a game much the same as last week with intermediate throws and probably a number of dig or drag routes trying to get the receivers some angles to get some YAC.

Personally.. I wish Coleman with that big arm developed and had enough time in the system to have more of the playbook available. But Young got here late this camp.. and quite honestly wouldn't be much more comfortable than Wallace at this point. Not sure about Flynn.. but if I had to guess, his is confidence has to broken to a point where he is not viable. Either that or he seriously burnt some bridges in Green Bay on the way out.


I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Online mi_keys  
#34 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:34:14 AM(UTC)
mi_keys

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 207
Applause Received: 345

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I do think it's good, but I just thought it was funny we have a thread dedicated to something you singled out as no one considering. :)

I'm starting Seneca Wallace on my fantasy team in place of Aaron Rodgers.



Learn to read, mate. I said "for everyone clamoring..." which implies there are those that don't fit in this bucket. I didn't say "everyone is clamoring..."
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline Zero2Cool  
#35 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:43:56 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

Originally Posted by: mi_keys Go to Quoted Post
Learn to read, mate. I said "for everyone clamoring..." which implies there are those that don't fit in this bucket. I didn't say "everyone is clamoring..."


If I had known me linking that thread would throw you into making unnecessary rude comments, I'd have kept it to myself. My apologies.
UserPostedImage
Offline DarkaneRules  
#36 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:46:19 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 200
Applause Received: 326

I worry more about him seeing the passing lanes through with taller defensive players in his face. The protection on the edges just got that much more important. The defense needs to do a much better job at making the plays that are there as well. Packers.com showed some great cases where they were inches close to making a big play but just didn't get it done.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline nerdmann  
#37 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2013 12:12:28 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,383
Applause Received: 600

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules Go to Quoted Post
I worry more about him seeing the passing lanes through with taller defensive players in his face. The protection on the edges just got that much more important. The defense needs to do a much better job at making the plays that are there as well. Packers.com showed some great cases where they were inches close to making a big play but just didn't get it done.


I think they're gonna roll him out and move the pocket for him a little bit. Mike will have some wrinkles.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline sschind  
#38 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:06:51 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 412

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Bayliss is a tool's tool. I wouldn't waste my time ready his crap.

Uncle Teddy did gamble at the QB position and has done so for years. Trouble is you can "win" with the gamble for years but when you are wrong the team is screwed up big time.

you can not have one backup in OTAs, drop him and pick up another in TC. Cut him and pick up still another once the season has begun and expect the QB to do anything. Right or wrong stick him one guy and team him the system.


I hear you and for the most part I agree but the thing is you (maybe not you specifically but so many people TBP for instance) are saying that Wallace was a bad gamble after one poor showing in a game for which he had very little to no preparation. We have no way of knowing right now if this team is screwed or not. We may be and after this Sunday we will have a better idea but for now, no matter what some people would have you believe, we simply don't have enough information to reliably say one way or the other. We all have our opinions but you know what they say about opinions.




I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Online mi_keys  
#39 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:36:54 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 207
Applause Received: 345

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
If I had known me linking that thread would throw you into making unnecessary rude comments, I'd have kept it to myself. My apologies.


Lol, okay. Bit rich considering you used the asshole and flip the bird emoticons but I find it entertaining.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline wpr  
#40 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:16:09 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
I hear you and for the most part I agree but the thing is you (maybe not you specifically but so many people TBP for instance) are saying that Wallace was a bad gamble after one poor showing in a game for which he had very little to no preparation. We have no way of knowing right now if this team is screwed or not. We may be and after this Sunday we will have a better idea but for now, no matter what some people would have you believe, we simply don't have enough information to reliably say one way or the other. We all have our opinions but you know what they say about opinions.





I am not basing my opinion on 1 game.
Actually we do have enough data on Seneca to make an informed decision. he has been on 5 other teams. There are some poor GMs and HCs out there but what are the odds that all of them are wrong? Its slim.
I can wait around for 3-4 weeks and say Wallace stinks or I can say what I think right now before all the "proof" is in. I would like to be wrong. I will be at the game Sunday with my son. I am not saying Gb won't win any games while Aaron is out. I am saying Wallace is not a quality starting QB at this stage of his career and if GB wins it will be because other players win it or because Philly loses it.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline sschind  
#41 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2013 10:05:42 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 412

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I am not basing my opinion on 1 game.
Actually we do have enough data on Seneca to make an informed decision. he has been on 5 other teams. There are some poor GMs and HCs out there but what are the odds that all of them are wrong? Its slim.
I can wait around for 3-4 weeks and say Wallace stinks or I can say what I think right now before all the "proof" is in. I would like to be wrong. I will be at the game Sunday with my son. I am not saying Gb won't win any games while Aaron is out. I am saying Wallace is not a quality starting QB at this stage of his career and if GB wins it will be because other players win it or because Philly loses it.


So you think we should have kept Harrell and/or Coleman simply because they were with us through the entire off season despite the fact that neither one of them showed any real prowess on the field? Or maybe we should have stuck with Young since he was on the team for a few more weeks than Wallace and even though he pretty much sucked during the pre season as well.

I agree that constantly changing players is not the best way to get things done but when the players you have aren't any good (Harrell, Coleman, Young) I don't have a problem with trying someone new. Maybe that someone new will suck as well but I'd rather at least try for someone that is better rather than stick with someone who sucks simply because they have been here for a long time. I do agree that Ted Thompson could have and should have (in hindsight) done more to shore up the backup QB position early on but do you really think he thought both Harrell and Coleman would be so bad.

If Wallace sucks this week and we lose because of it I will be one of the first to admit it but I am not going to go into the game, like some people on this site, with the attitude that he will suck and that the game is already lost. Especially when the other options we had would not have given me any more confidence in a victory.

I think the Packers can win and no I don't think Wallace will win or even can win the game on his own. It will take a concerted effort by everyone but if the entire team plays the way they did in the three games prior to the Bears game I can see it happening. We have the Eagles, Giants, vikings and Lions in the next four weeks and even without Rodgers, and even with Wallace we are at least as good as all three of them. I see no reason to think that if the team pulls together we can not win at least 2 of them. The worst I see the Packers coming out of the next four weeks is a game back and if Rodgers is back by then I think we can easily make that game up.

There may be some merit to the "expect the worst" mentality in that there are fewer disappointments but I prefer to be optimistic.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 11/7/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#42 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2013 6:10:21 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

Skip BAYLESS is a tool. I hope no one Google's "what has skip bayless gotten wrong" because the massive data returned would broke the interwebz.



Originally Posted by: mi_keys Go to Quoted Post
Lol, okay. Bit rich considering you used the asshole and flip the bird emoticons but I find it entertaining.


I was hoping the smiley face with the asshole sign would give it away that I was joking. I'm not that uptight, geez. :)


UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
mi_keys on 11/8/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#43 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2013 6:24:15 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
So you think we should have kept Harrell and/or Coleman simply because they were with us through the entire off season despite the fact that neither one of them showed any real prowess on the field? Or maybe we should have stuck with Young since he was on the team for a few more weeks than Wallace and even though he pretty much sucked during the pre season as well.

I agree that constantly changing players is not the best way to get things done but when the players you have aren't any good (Harrell, Coleman, Young) I don't have a problem with trying someone new. Maybe that someone new will suck as well but I'd rather at least try for someone that is better rather than stick with someone who sucks simply because they have been here for a long time. I do agree that Ted Thompson could have and should have (in hindsight) done more to shore up the backup QB position early on but do you really think he thought both Harrell and Coleman would be so bad.

If Wallace sucks this week and we lose because of it I will be one of the first to admit it but I am not going to go into the game, like some people on this site, with the attitude that he will suck and that the game is already lost. Especially when the other options we had would not have given me any more confidence in a victory.

I think the Packers can win and no I don't think Wallace will win or even can win the game on his own. It will take a concerted effort by everyone but if the entire team plays the way they did in the three games prior to the Bears game I can see it happening. We have the Eagles, Giants, vikings and Lions in the next four weeks and even without Rodgers, and even with Wallace we are at least as good as all three of them. I see no reason to think that if the team pulls together we can not win at least 2 of them. The worst I see the Packers coming out of the next four weeks is a game back and if Rodgers is back by then I think we can easily make that game up.

There may be some merit to the "expect the worst" mentality in that there are fewer disappointments but I prefer to be optimistic.


I don't know that I said or intended to say that GB will lose no matter what. Absolutely they can win but that is because Philly is a pretty mediocre team. If they win most likely it will be a team effort. If they lose more than likely it will be because of Wallace. (Int or fumbles.) They will say they win as a team and lose as a team but that is not always true. You hae to expect more from the leader of the team than every one else.

As for should they have kept another QB just because he was there longer. No you said it Ted failed at securing a quality backup years ago. It doesn't take a genius to know, back in 2010 that Flynn was going to leave to try and become a starter somewhere else. They could have been grooming his replacement back then. Yeah it leads to a revolving door at QB but hey that is the price you pay to have an elite QB. They opted to go with only 2 QB and have a 3rd on the PS. 20 years ago maybe more I heard a coach say it takes 3 years to develop a QB in the NFL. It has not gotten shorter with the more complicated systems.

We are seeing the downside to that kind of move. (2 QB) Yes GB has had injuries and needed the extra spot to fill in at other positions. But not carrying 3 QB doesn't bite you in the butt in one season only. A decision like that carries over as a problem 3 or 4 years later as well. Not having enough players at RB or LB or CB are only an issue for one year. Not so for QB. If they want to only have 2 QB on the roster and one on the PS then they MUST be right (perfect) in their evaluation and clearly they were wrong 3 or 4 times in a row. That is inexcusable. They are the professional evaluators. it is their job to know who has enough talent. Who can they develop. It seems as if they believed the urban legend nonsense that all they would have to do is get some stiff into one of Mike's famous QB clinics and he could transform a bum into a Hall of Famer. (Yes I am exaggerating.)
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline texaspackerbacker  
#44 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2013 7:56:31 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 405
Applause Received: 233

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Skip BAYLESS is a tool. I hope no one Google's "what has skip bayless gotten wrong" because the massive data returned would broke the interwebz.





I was hoping the smiley face with the asshole sign would give it away that I was joking. I'm not that uptight, geez. :)




I was not aware of his negativity toward Aaron Rodgers, and yeah, that alone is a sign of wrongheadedness. However, I've heard him various times on football, basketball, baseball, etc., and generally what he says rings true - more so than what others around him are saying. I have extremely little respect for news media, sports and otherwise, but Bayliss certainly seems no worse than any of the rest of them.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#45 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2013 8:04:06 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 405
Applause Received: 233

It's not a case of the Packers lose no matter what, but if the Eagles have any sense at all, they will avoid taking chances and handing the game to us with turnovers, and they will do like the Bears did when they finally came out of their stop Aaron Rodgers defense - pack it in to stop the run - assuming Wallace couldn't pass worth shit.

HOW are we gonna win if it plays out like that? The only way is if Wallace is a helluva lot better than I believe he even has the capability to be - or if McCarthy pulls the plug on him early enough that Tolzien or whoever can come in and win it.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
4 Pages<1234>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Recent Topics
51m / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / blueleopard

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

20h / Random Babble / nyrpack

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

20h / Around The NFL / nyrpack

20h / Around The NFL / nyrpack

20h / Around The NFL / nyrpack

20h / Around The NFL / nyrpack

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / StarrMax1

1-Sep / Random Babble / dfosterf

30-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / Gaycandybacon

30-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.