You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:53:15 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,418
Applause Received: 1,203

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
lol since there is "supposed to be risks" they should just make it legal to run around diving at the backs of peoples knees who aren't looking during or after any play. They may as well make it legal to twist ankles or groin shots with the knees. How about making it legal to eye gouge a ball carrier so he'll drop the ball. There's gotta be risks right?

AHH! The good old days.

I remember reading a story about Papa Halas. In its infancy, a tackled ball carrier could push the ball forward and make that new place the Line of Scrimmage. Obviously it was frowned upon by the defense so only dirty players/cheaters would try and move the ball.

One day Halas and the Bears were playing Jim Thorpe and one of the early teams he played for. George didn't think anyone was watching him so while still laying on the ground he began inch the ball forward a little. 2 or three inches is not going to get you a first down or a touchdown but it may help get the first down on the next play. Especially on the muddy fields they had back then.

Thorpe saw him moving the ball and he jumped on his back. He said something to the effect of "If you are going to cheat I am going to ride you like a horse." Halas said Jim could have really hurt him and it would have been legal. Stomp on his hands, knee him in the back, many other things. He learned his lesson and didn't do that anymore.

Players today constantly try and place the ball not a few inches but a yard or more further down field after they have been tackled. Not a single player can come over to them and jump on them little alone step on their hand or knee them in the back for doing so.

Taming the game down is not always a bad thing.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:29:29 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: nyrpack Go to Quoted Post
not defending the guy, but it isnt exactly the easiest thing to hit a guy these days legally. im not saying headshots are legal but its dam hard to hit a guy at full speed and not make contact sometimes high, i think defensive guys have a very tough job when comes to legal vs illegal !!

You are correct. there have been a few Packer players along with others that have been fined for an inadvertent hit on the ball carrier. It is more than a little frustrating.

UserPostedImage

Offline mi_keys  
#18 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:53:15 AM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 142
Applause Received: 224

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
You are correct. there have been a few Packer players along with others that have been fined for an inadvertent hit on the ball carrier. It is more than a little frustrating.

It's particularly frustrating when the examples of blatant and repeated intentional headhunting is punished only marginally more than the incidental.
Born and bred a cheesehead
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 10/31/2013(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#19 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:05:55 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Applause Given: 349
Applause Received: 210

My point in bringing up the olden days was that there was NOT a lot of serious injuries even then - probably less than today with all the protection crap and much better equipment. Yeah, players are bigger/stronger/faster now, but it still seems that all these stupid safety rules, etc. intruding into the game are NOT really making it any safer - if that is the goal, and I still say, it obviously is an acceptable risk considering the HUGE money even marginal players are paid. If it wasn't acceptable, they would quit.

As for some of the examples cited, obviously late hits should be penalized - that's like a soldier going into town after the battle is over and shooting people. During the play, on the other hand, almost anything goes - eye gouging was the reason for face masks. A lot of other stuff could/should be dealt with by teammates getting revenge (or preventative) as in my example of the Packers breaking Fred Williams hammer in the first Super Bowl. A lot of other "dirty play" is self correcting also in that the player doing it would be diverting himself from a more effective play - a sure textbook tackle - to try and hurt somebody - maybe missing and allowing a long gain.

The point is, all this stupid shit - or maybe I should say most of it - legislated in the name of safety is unnecessary, often counter-productive to its own goals, and generally bad for the game.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#20 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:27:52 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 346

It is illegal to lead with helmet, shoulder or forearm to the head and neck area of a defenseless player.

Which leaves the obvious solution.

Dropkick. Waterboy style.

Next time the WR come across the middle, line him up and wham, two feet to the face.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
mi_keys on 10/31/2013(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#21 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:01:52 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Applause Given: 213
Applause Received: 332

Not gonna join the argument, but IMHO, if meriweather continues to threaten to take out the knees of opposing players, I think you will see an accidental hit on his worthless ass and that will be the end of it.

Playing "hard-nosed" football is a lot different then coming out and saying "my only option is to go low and intentionally injur an opposing player.

I f i were a teammate of his i would tell him to cut out his bullshit, he won't be the only Redskin targeted if he keeps up this crap.
“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
wpr on 10/31/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#22 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:06:41 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
Not gonna join the argument, but IMHO, if meriweather continues to threaten to take out the knees of opposing players, I think you will see an accidental hit on his worthless ass and that will be the end of it.

Playing "hard-nosed" football is a lot different then coming out and saying "my only option is to go low and intentionally injur an opposing player.

I f i were a teammate of his i would tell him to cut out his bullsh!t, he won't be the only Redskin targeted if he keeps up this crap.

there you go. solves problem right there.

UserPostedImage