You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 1:03:53 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,744
Applause Received: 1,792

Roger Goodell seems to be pushing hard to get more and more games overseas. Why?

The home team loses a home game, therefore 1/10 of their revenue they'd have otherwise earned. Does the "home" team get the proceeds earned from playing overseas?

What if a player doesn't have a passport?

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Sponsor
Online wpr  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 1:39:18 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,424
Applause Received: 1,204

The teams earn money from the gate overseas as well as home. The advantage to a team like J-ville is they earn more money in London than they do in FL. I doubt GB or Dallas would have the same benefit.

I think I read that the NFL corp picks up the travel expenses for both teams. I am not sure about lodging and meals. Makes sense that they would.

As for Passports. The teams know about the game long enough in advance that they can make sure players have their passports. That said it would not shock me if the almighty NFL had a way to expedite the process. A player picked up a couple of weeks before the game may have to stay home if he doesn't have one.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 2:04:26 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,744
Applause Received: 1,792

What about a player on probation? I'd assume the player would be given permission, much like they are able to 'work' outside their county.

It just does't make sense to me. If you can't fill your domestic seats with 10 games a season, exporting one is just going to hurt the domestic fan base. And for what?

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Online wpr  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 3:37:52 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Going to London to see the Queen was never my idea. I am only surmising what Lord Goodell is thinking. Personally I think NFL has about maxed out over there. (Apologies to the fans across the pond that follow the real game.)

UserPostedImage

Offline dhazer  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 6:06:42 PM(UTC)
dhazer

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 176

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
What about a player on probation? I'd assume the player would be given permission, much like they are able to 'work' outside their county.

It just does't make sense to me. If you can't fill your domestic seats with 10 games a season, exporting one is just going to hurt the domestic fan base. And for what?

Its because Godhell wants a team over there thus he i adding a 3rd game next year.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline yooperfan  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2013 4:33:00 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 480
Applause Received: 227

It wouldn't surprise me if we see a Super Bowl played in London in the not too distant future.
Offline nyrpack  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2013 6:04:35 PM(UTC)
nyrpack

Applause Given: 2
Applause Received: 39

benefits in my book = 0 !!
jimmy b.
Offline sschind  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2013 7:47:25 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 78
Applause Received: 313

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Going to London to see the Queen was never my idea. I am only surmising what Lord Goodell is thinking. Personally I think NFL has about maxed out over there. (Apologies to the fans across the pond that follow the real game.)

Maybe not to see the Queen but that new princess they got is a real looker.
I fully respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline sschind  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2013 7:52:54 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
It wouldn't surprise me if we see a Super Bowl played in London in the not too distant future.

That would surprise the hell out of me. That would be tantamount to moving the Macy's 4th of July fireworks spectacular to London.
I fully respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Online wpr  
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2013 8:15:50 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
That would surprise the hell out of me. That would be tantamount to moving the Macy's 4th of July fireworks spectacular to London.

Or London Bridge to Lake Havasu. That's just crazy talk.

UserPostedImage

Offline yooperfan  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 1:32:21 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 480
Applause Received: 227

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post

The NFL seems intent on creating a market for American football across the pond.
Sending crappy teams like the Vikings or Jacksonville over there to play isn't the way to grab the attention of the Europeans but sending the two best teams to play in the biggest NFL extravaganza to London would create a high level of excitement for NFL football in all of Europe.
Don't count it out.

Offline sschind  
#12 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 6:29:20 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

The NFL seems intent on creating a market for American football across the pond.
Sending crappy teams like the Vikings or Jacksonville over there to play isn't the way to grab the attention of the Europeans but sending the two best teams to play in the biggest NFL extravaganza to London would create a high level of excitement for NFL football in all of Europe.
Don't count it out.

I just don't see it happening. If crappy teams can't hold the interest then the NFL has no business staying around in London. If interest starts to lag I see Goodell pulling the plug before he sends the biggest sporting event in America overseas.

About 15 or 20 years ago a friend of mine said that within 5 or ten years the SB would be a pay per view event (this was when Wrestlemania and all of Mike Tyson's fights were the PPV rage) and I disagreed with him. Its just too big of an event for the average American to ever make drastic changes like charging to see it on TV or moving it abroad. I wouldn't count anything out but I would say chances are very very slim.

On the other hand we may see the Pro Bowl move overseas. No one in America wants to watch it anyway and that would be a great way to introduce all the stars of the sport to other countries. I actually think it would heighten interest here in the states as well.
Online wpr  
#13 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 7:14:43 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Don't count it out.

It was mentioned before the problem is time zone differences. No advertiser is going to pay the money they fork out for an afternoon game. For that kind of money they will demand the prime time slot. There just isn't any way to do it. If the game begins at 8 pm London it will be 3 pm on the East Coast and Noon on the West Coast. I don't know about Daylight Savings Time in London. Here the times would change by an hour.

Point is the game would have to be played in the middle of the night to reach the American audience in the late afternoon and early evening time that is required.

UserPostedImage

Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#14 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 7:59:52 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 346

None of it makes sense. Sure you can throw a couple games there each year and they will sell out because it is still a novelty to them. But will they do the same yearly for 8 weeks. SB, maybe but I don't see that either. Sure most of the people who can afford tickets would still be able to go overseas. But so much of the SB is the week before where average fans can get some access and experience some of the Big game. I doubt that could be matched anywhere over seas.

If London and Europe want American Football, let them field some college teams that can get into NCAA.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage