Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 5:21:10 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 90

Jason Wilde wrote:
GREEN BAY — Roughly 24 hours later, Mike McCarthy wasn't second-guessing himself. Rather, when the subject of his fourth-down call in Sunday's loss to Cincinnati came up Monday, the Green Bay Packers coach recalled the words of one of his mentors.

"A real smart coach told me this once, at a young age, 'There's two types of guys who call plays: 'There's guys who second guess themselves, and there's guys that lie about second guessing themselves,'" McCarthy said of the decision to hand the ball off to rookie running back Johnathan Franklin on fourth-and-inches — a call that backfired when Franklin fumbled and the Bengals returned it for the game-winning touchdown.

"I go home after every game and think about every call. Also, what I've learned to look at (is) the conversation and the things lead up to each call, whether it was during the week, whether it was during the time out in that one particular call on the fourth down. So that's how I deal with it."

That wise coach was Marty Schottenheimer, who as coach of the Kansas City Chiefs gave McCarthy his break in the NFL. Speaking of the call specifically, McCarthy said he didn't regret not kicking the field goal or trying a different short-yardage play, such as a quarterback sneak.

"No, it was a solid call," McCarthy said. "There's a number of things that went into that decision based on the mark. In pregame for the field goal, and the wind, and so forth. I had plenty of time to think about it."

Offensive coordinator Tom Clements said the play does not call for Franklin to try to leap over the pile, which was what the rookie running back was attempting to do when the ball came loose before he got off the ground.

"It's not a called leap, it just depends how the front plays it," Clements said. "Usually they try to stay low, (so) that's usually a good option."

Asked if he considered having quarterback Aaron Rodgers sneak it, Clements said, "We've used them in the past. What we've tried to develop are some runs that give you the same benefit as a quarterback sneak with a guy who's used to running the ball. (Rodgers) is not adverse to QB sneaks."
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline sschind  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:26:01 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 116
Applause Received: 412

Contrary to what a lot of fans are thinking and saying I don't think he should second guess it. The stupidest complaint is that he handed the ball off to a rookie. Two responses to that. a rookie that was our only active running back and a rookie that had gained over 100 yards in less that 30 minutes of football.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:31:22 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,887
Applause Received: 2,086

I was hoping for QB sneak. My only gripe is I'd have liked to see B.J. Raji or someone large in there as FB to help push the pile for the light Franklin.
UserPostedImage
Offline hardrocker950  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:55:40 PM(UTC)
hardrocker950

Applause Given: 65
Applause Received: 72

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I was hoping for QB sneak. My only gripe is I'd have liked to see B.J. Raji or someone large in there as FB to help push the pile for the light Franklin.

Typically in 4th and inches - if you want to pound the ball up the middle, you do want the big guys up front. Not the approach I would have taken, but in that scenario I fully agree.
"I enjoy being just one of 53 on the team." - Aaron Rodgers
Offline nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:27:52 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,479
Applause Received: 620

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 Go to Quoted Post
Typically in 4th and inches - if you want to pound the ball up the middle, you do want the big guys up front. Not the approach I would have taken, but in that scenario I fully agree.

No way EDS pushes those DTs back.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 9/24/2013(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:58:52 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 357

I don't mind him deciding to go for it on 4th. I don't mind the play call.

I DO mind that they didn't get out of that play when the Bengals had it perfectly defended. We were out numbered 5 defenders to 3 blockers on the weak side of the line. I don't know what McCarthy could see from the sideline, but he should have been able to see that. His OC should have seen that from the booth. And Rodgers definately should have seen it.

We had 2 TO, and the wrong play when matched up against their defensive formation. We should have used it, and come out with a better plan.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
hardrocker950 on 9/24/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed