Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#31 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 8:31:13 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 403
Applause Received: 233

Why would they trade away their all-world OT if they are looking for a star-quality QB?

Well, first of all, I agree, they probably wouldn't if they were smart (here's hoping they aren't smart hahaha). But if they did, like some said, it would be about a five year program for them, and in five years, Thomas will be 34 - maybe on the edge of losing his edge.

I still say, for now at least, this is all smoke generated by us fans. He sure would be a nice addition, though.

As for Bakhtiari, etc., there is "good", and there is "great". Bakhtiari very well might become "good" - which is really all Chad Clifton ever was, and a "good" left tackle might be all the Packers need to dominate the league. When we drafted Sherrod, though, I, for one, was dreaming of having a "great" left tackle. Thomas would be that, and considering what we have gotten from most of our recent first round picks, I'd gladly do a deal like that and even throw in one or two additional picks.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline PackerTraxx  
#32 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 9:11:15 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

If we could somehow manage to get Joe it would be a dream come true. You would not be able to wipe the smile off of Aaron's face "nohow", and probably not the RB's faces either!!!
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline play2win  
#33 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 3:35:34 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
How cool would it be if Bacteria was the answer we've been looking for since 2 years before Clifton retired.

No doubt Dakota. It would be freaking awesome. I think it will be. I think he will be great for us. Just have to be patient and see it happen. I'm hopeful. Have to be, because there is no way Thomas gets dealt to GB. I can't see Ted pulling that trigger.
Offline DakotaT  
#34 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 3:49:58 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 640
Applause Received: 1,317

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
No doubt Dakota. It would be freaking awesome. I think it will be. I think he will be great for us. Just have to be patient and see it happen. I'm hopeful. Have to be, because there is no way Thomas gets dealt to GB. I can't see Ted pulling that trigger.

Yeah, I don't even know why we go through stupid threads like this one. Makes us look like a bunch of asshats.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#35 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 5:00:58 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, I don't even know why we go through stupid threads like this one. Makes us look like a bunch of asshats.

Well, there is a lot of football left to be played, and Since69 is a guy I posted with years ago, and he knows what he 'a talking about.

Thomas would make a great addition, but also at great cost. Ted will choose best value, and that may be Bakhtiari. If the kid kicks some ass and keeps Rodgers protected, he could go down as one of Ted's greatest draft day steals.

I like that the kid plays mean.

If he doesn't work out, they still have bodies to take over, but getting Thomas, as appealing as it may sound, would prove near impossible. It's Ted for chrissakes!
Offline DakotaT  
#36 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 5:07:58 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 640
Applause Received: 1,317

Well, there is a lot of football left to be played, and Since69 is a guy I posted with years ago, and he knows what he 'a talking about.

Thomas would make a great addition, but also at great cost. Ted will choose best value, and that may be Bakhtiari. If the kid kicks some ass and keeps Rodgers protected, he could go down as one of Ted's greatest draft day steals.

I have about as much faith in the Packers signing Joe Thomas as I do in Texas growing a heart in that Nazi body of his. Since69 is a very knowledgeable Packers fan.
UserPostedImage
Offline sschind  
#37 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 7:20:54 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 412

If he doesn't work out, they still have bodies to take over, but getting Thomas, as appealing as it may sound, would prove near impossible. It's Ted for chrissakes!

I don't think there would be more than 1 or 2 GMs in the league that would make the trade for Thomas. Granted not all need a left tackle but not only is the asking price going to be high (more than the first rounder they got for Richardson no doubt) but the salary cap implications are very tough. So to say "It's Ted for chrissakes" is rather inaccurate. I understand where you were going with it but in this case I don't think it applies.

I can pretty much guarantee you that if Ted Thompson did pull off this trade at least half of the Packers fans would be screaming because they gave up too much.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline beast  
#38 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 8:21:48 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 185
Applause Received: 274

While we're dreaming about Ted Thompson trading for big names...

It sounds like FS Jairus Byrd wants out of Buffalo according to some rumors.
Of course he was tagged this last year so he's getting almost 7 million and a FA this coming season so Ted Thompson would probably want a long term deal in place before making the trade (then again he probably wouldn't make the trade, but it's fun to think about) and the Packers are weak at Safety especially with Burnett out.

Of course it sounds like Bills want to keep him, but they have to work out a long term deal out with him, and it sounds like he might want out of Buffalo and he's in a contract year, and since he's already tagged, they would have to pay a good bit more to tag him two years in a row.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline nerdmann  
#39 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:14:48 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,377
Applause Received: 600

No way I see this trade happening, BUT...

If (and I don't want to jinx him) Lord forbid Bakhtieri would go down or we'd lose Barclay for the year, would Ted pick up the phone? Keep in mind, if we can make it to week six, Sherrod might be able to bail us out.

It's still a long shot imo.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 9/22/2013(UTC)
Offline Dulak  
#40 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:17:17 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 98

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
No way I see this trade happening, BUT...

If (and I don't want to jinx him) Lord forbid Bakhtieri would go down or we'd lose Barclay for the year, would Ted pick up the phone? Keep in mind, if we can make it to week six, Sherrod might be able to bail us out.

It's still a long shot imo.

Why we even bothering talking about this - we cant afford jack and even if we could ted wont spend on a FA ...

We got a ton of money going out the window next year ... our 22 million dollar man will have to be without a pro LT.

Edited by user Sunday, September 22, 2013 9:15:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline texaspackerbacker  
#41 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:56:52 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 403
Applause Received: 233

OK, suppose it went down like this - who would be for it and who would be against it:

Thomas for a second round pick plus Bakhtiari?

Or how about Thomas for a second round pick plus Sherrod?

Would we be better off in let's say 3-4 years? Or would Cleveland?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Wade  
#42 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:19:46 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 644
Applause Received: 657

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
OK, suppose it went down like this - who would be for it and who would be against it:

Thomas for a second round pick plus Bakhtiari?

Or how about Thomas for a second round pick plus Sherrod?

Would we be better off in let's say 3-4 years? Or would Cleveland?

TT's not giving up Bakhtiari at this point. He might give up Sherrod.

But a 2 isn't going to be enough. There'll need to be a 1 or extra picks there.

1 and 3 and a player.
2,3, and 1 next year and a player
2,3, and 2,3 next year and a player.
etc.

Probably have to add a late round pick to any of those, too.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#43 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:30:19 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 277
Applause Received: 392

Ted has proven he is going to stick with his guys, he is not going to give up picks and/or players plus sign a high priced FA.

He is going to stick with his plan.

Bakhtiari is only going to get better, he wasn't suppose to be starting, thankfully he has shown that he will be a solid LT.

No sense in worrying, just isn't worth it, both tackles will get another good test today, IMHO they are up to the challenge.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
Offline play2win  
#44 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:30:56 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
I don't think there would be more than 1 or 2 GMs in the league that would make the trade for Thomas. Granted not all need a left tackle but not only is the asking price going to be high (more than the first rounder they got for Richardson no doubt) but the salary cap implications are very tough. So to say "It's Ted for chrissakes" is rather inaccurate. I understand where you were going with it but in this case I don't think it applies.

I can pretty much guarantee you that if Ted Thompson did pull off this trade at least half of the Packers fans would be screaming because they gave up too much.

That Ted comment was completely tongue in cheek.

Yeah, the price may be way too high for just about anyone. No doubt. High pick or picks, plus maybe a player, for a gigantic cap hit, and a sure LT, 29 years old.

beast, I'd love for Ted to hit that Byrd trade. Now, that's the kind of move that could win us a Super Bowl or two. Would a Thomas trade do the same? Possibly.

I'll never argue against landing a top talent at his position in the NFL, even at a high cost.
Offline nerdmann  
#45 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:58:11 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,377
Applause Received: 600

Even if bacteria went down, I don't think Ted makes this trade.

Newhouse would step in until Sherrod is ready (if he indeed is going to be) and Lang becomes the "next man up" at both T positions.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rss Feed