PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago
We went way overboard on the Read-Option. Our run D front up the gut was never bad. Even last year when we were gashed, it was mostly runs bounced outside. The majority of the running of kapernik last year was because of poor lane discipline and nobody past the oline looking for run, and the edges crashing not containing. We did great setting the edges and holding the middle but we had NO pressure. except on rare occasions like Matthews Ole of the LG.

Dom needs to find a gameplan where we can accomplish both.

Offensively, I think they played pretty well, outside of the fumble and INT. Two plays that were enough to swing the game.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
nerdmann
10 years ago

I don't see them cutting their Safteys. Sure you wanna cut Jennings, but like buckeye said. It wouldn't do anything. Best thing you can do is bench Jennings. Maybe bring in a street free agent. Try out Banjo, what else do we have to lose? I want to see Jennings only on special teams, where he made this team in the first place.

I say give Banjo a shot if Burnett can't go next week and if Jennings is struggling. We need a spark there I think we could get that from Banjo pared up with McMillian. The coaching staff might be to stubburn, but we need something man.

My game plan against running QBs. Just blitz the sh!t out them, and play aggressive man to man coverage. Seriously! Kaepernick, Wilson, RG3 aren't only good at running the football, they can throw the football well too. Do not make them feel comfortable in the pocket with a 4 man rush. Fill all those gaps up and make them feel pressured to get the ball out quickly and cause turnovers. Just like we did against Wilson in the preseason, that worked like magic. Sure you have to account for their running ablity, but our Defensive line is more stout and understand how to play it now. As well more for the LBs too. The thing that beat us against the 49ers is we let their big guys, Bolden, Davis, get open because we did not do sh!t to make them uncomfortable at the line of scrimmage. At the times we played them aggressively it worked. But most of the time, we tried to contain more then challenge them.

Use Hyde to were he is fit to play the best football. Around the line of scrimmage. Get the kid more playing time. He is a better nickel corner than Bush. Throw him in the mold and the more and more as the game and the season goes on he will make plays. I saw him blitz yesterday and Matthews did that stunt sack. That was very successful. I think they should use him more, and just play aggressive football like Dom likes.

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

Wouldn't mind seeing Banjo.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago

Perry is fine. We were NOT attempting to pressure the QB in this game. We were trying to CONTAIN him. Big difference. That's gonna be the plan against RGIII this coming week too.

Hopefully we won't also leave their best WR uncovered for the entire game.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Currently listening/half watching the Redskins-Eagles game and RGIII isn't moving around all that much. Either rust and/or tentative to try running.

Agree with what people saying Banjo getting a shot-he's shown his willingness to put his pads down and make a hit. We could have used that yesterday from out secondary.

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
play2win
10 years ago

So your solution is cut these 4 players.

Who is going to play in their place?

You can express your disappointment all you want on THE TEAMS performance.

These are the guys Ted and Mike have decided give The Packers the best chance to succeed in 2013.

They aren't going anywhere, I will agree with you that Ross could be in trouble, he is the #5 receiver and can easily be replaced.

The rest are going to be important parts of the defense/special teams the rest of this year.

Let The 49rs be the so called "best" team in The NFL, its week 1, the only people who make a big deal out of week 1 rankings are "the talking heads" in the media.

I can't remember at anytime a team winning a championship in September, disappointing loss yes, end of the season, NO!

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Did I say to cut them? We probably could without much trouble, except for replacing Bush on STs. But I did not say that we should cut them.

Change the level of play at those positions, and we're all celebrating a win.

I'll add that I am super disappointed in McMillian. I thought he would show far better than he is to this point.

Please, cut MD Jennings tomorrow. I'm all for it. Banjo made plays. I'd rather play Banjo. And, while we're at it, why keep Ross? He completely sucks.

So, yeah, I guess we could cut 2 of them if you want to texas...

😆
sschind
  • sschind
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

We went way overboard on the Read-Option. Our run D front up the gut was never bad. Even last year when we were gashed, it was mostly runs bounced outside. The majority of the running of kapernik last year was because of poor lane discipline and nobody past the oline looking for run, and the edges crashing not containing. We did great setting the edges and holding the middle but we had NO pressure. except on rare occasions like Matthews Ole of the LG.

Dom needs to find a gameplan where we can accomplish both.

Offensively, I think they played pretty well, outside of the fumble and INT. Two plays that were enough to swing the game.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I agree 100% on the read option but as I have said in a few other posts I don't really think we had much of a choice. The way we were gashed last year Mike McCarthy had no other options than to go all out to shut it down. He couldn't afford to letthe 49ers beat him with it again. IMO he did shut it down pretty well.

The problem is that Harbaugh knew this as well and he let us come at the RO with all guns blazing and he just took whatever we left him. I do not see this being a factor in any other games this season as I don't think it will nearly as much of a point of contention that it was with the 49ers. I also don't think it would have been such a big deal had the schedule had us playing the 49ers several weeks later. I'll bet Harbaugh was salivating when he saw he opened up with the Packers. He was holding all the cards. All he had to do was sit back and see how Mike McCarthy was going to go all in.

PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago

I agree 100% on the read option but as I have said in a few other posts I don't really think we had much of a choice. The way we were gashed last year Mike McCarthy had no other options than to go all out to shut it down. He couldn't afford to letthe 49ers beat him with it again. IMO he did shut it down pretty well.

The problem is that Harbaugh knew this as well and he let us come at the RO with all guns blazing and he just took whatever we left him. I do not see this being a factor in any other games this season as I don't think it will nearly as much of a point of contention that it was with the 49ers. I also don't think it would have been such a big deal had the schedule had us playing the 49ers several weeks later. I'll bet Harbaugh was salivating when he saw he opened up with the Packers. He was holding all the cards. All he had to do was sit back and see how Mike McCarthy was going to go all in.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I think there was a choice. The middle of the dline was never a major issue, They held the middle fine, it was the edges where we got exploited. I didn't see the need to focus on the middle of the dline like we did. We played our Bigs way to much. I think if they had played the middle the same as last year, and concentrated on containment on the edges we would have had better pass rush and still contained the run and read-option.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
hardrocker950
10 years ago
No doubt that there were many disappointing things in our season opener. Some of these things are typical to see early in the season, especially with so many young players on the field. The good news is the season is young and there is time to assess these problems.

The good

The offensive line looked better than I was expecting. While not excellent, one should also be reminded that they were up against a very good defensive front. The fact that Rodgers spent most of the day upright is encouraging.

Defensive line showed life. Also not perfect, but they plugged the middle up and slowed the running game down. They also didn't let Kaepernick burn us on big scrambles like we have seen before.

The passing game looked about like we would expect - minus the Finley mistake (I'll address that later). Jordy had a very good day, making crucial catches in difficult situations. Finley's effort on the TD was amazing! If the line can give Rodgers more time, our receivers will have more opportunities as well.

The bad

I will get the most obvious out of the way first. Our secondary was straight up terrible. I don't know where to begin on that topic. Letting their QB throw for 400 yards is sad - especially when I don't think he is much above an average passer. Our safeties didn't play aggressive enough from the line. Some disruption would have been nice to see.

Turnovers like those are not excusable. Lacy is a rookie, we all know that - but the most important thing in football has never changed since his first day playing - PROTECT THE DAMN BALL! Finley might as well have gift wrapped that ball for them when he gave them the pick on a silver platter. I know sh** happens sometimes, but both of these were preventable.

Coaching.... I can say that we had a solid plan for the option, but I think this had a lot to do with our secondary getting torched. Anytime you scheme for one thing, there is something else to exploit because of it. Now to the biggest point - WHAT WAS THE REASONING FOR ACCEPTING THAT PENALTY?!?!?!? Shame on you Mike McCarthy 😳

Clay Matthews getting flagged for the late hit. While it can be speculated whether or not he had malicious intent, it was bad judgment. The positive is his pursuit to Kaepernick on the scramble was relentless.

I'm sure I missed some things, but these are the ones that come to mind at this time. I think we are in for quite a season.
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago

No doubt that there were many disappointing things in our season opener. Some of these things are typical to see early in the season, especially with so many young players on the field. The good news is the season is young and there is time to assess these problems.

The good

The offensive line looked better than I was expecting. While not excellent, one should also be reminded that they were up against a very good defensive front. The fact that Rodgers spent most of the day upright is encouraging.

Defensive line showed life. Also not perfect, but they plugged the middle up and slowed the running game down. They also didn't let Kaepernick burn us on big scrambles like we have seen before.

The passing game looked about like we would expect - minus the Finley mistake (I'll address that later). Jordy had a very good day, making crucial catches in difficult situations. Finley's effort on the TD was amazing! If the line can give Rodgers more time, our receivers will have more opportunities as well.

The bad

I will get the most obvious out of the way first. Our secondary was straight up terrible. I don't know where to begin on that topic. Letting their QB throw for 400 yards is sad - especially when I don't think he is much above an average passer. Our safeties didn't play aggressive enough from the line. Some disruption would have been nice to see.

Turnovers like those are not excusable. Lacy is a rookie, we all know that - but the most important thing in football has never changed since his first day playing - PROTECT THE DAMN BALL! Finley might as well have gift wrapped that ball for them when he gave them the pick on a silver platter. I know sh** happens sometimes, but both of these were preventable.

Coaching.... I can say that we had a solid plan for the option, but I think this had a lot to do with our secondary getting torched. Anytime you scheme for one thing, there is something else to exploit because of it. Now to the biggest point - WHAT WAS THE REASONING FOR ACCEPTING THAT PENALTY?!?!?!? Shame on you Mike McCarthy 😳

Clay Matthews getting flagged for the late hit. While it can be speculated whether or not he had malicious intent, it was bad judgment. The positive is his pursuit to Kaepernick on the scramble was relentless.

I'm sure I missed some things, but these are the ones that come to mind at this time. I think we are in for quite a season.

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 

Probably the key to the game right there. We didn't jam any of their weapons. Especially Bolden. He was free to do what ever he wanted and got open every time. I hope they looked at the film and fucking will challenge their receivers more next week. Hopefully Burnett back will spark the secondary. And give a even more toughness to the run D.
play2win
10 years ago

I did think that MD Jennings and McMillian had pathetic games. I obviously don't know all the defensive calls and whom was responsible for what, but from what I could tell, those guys sucked. BAD. I've never been a fan of Jennings. I like McMillian due do his physicality and speed, but my confidence is beginning to waiver in him, as well. I hoped/expected him to really take a step forward this season.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I feel exactly the same way. Wanting to see McMillian take it to the next level, and really disappointed after the SF loss.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
I agree Jennings and McMillian were not horrible, and it would be a damn overreaction to cut either. While the Packers don't play a significant distinction between free safety and strong safety, it was new and maybe a problem having those two playing together. The fact that Burnett was reported to be playing shortly before the game tells me he is not far from being ready, so hopefully, problem solved.

The major part of the problem, though, was the SOLUTION. The Capers way of stopping Kaepernick's running (more scrambling than read/option per se) was to basically divert all the LBs from pass coverage to containment - that and still without significant blitzing most of the time. Our DBs were set up for failure by not having the usual LB help in coverage and except for rare occasions when Matthews was unleashed, no pressure on Kaepernick either. I can see the logic of doing it that way - in fact, there may not be a better way of dealing with his running ability, but the fact is, in that game, he was so accurate a passer that it didn't work.

I'm wondering if we employ the same strategy against Griffin. I hope not, as I don't see him even before the injury as near the runner Kaepernick is. Griffin, if he is on his game, is, however, a better passer than Kaepernick - better than Kaepernick most games anyway.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.