macbob
10 years ago

Seneca Wallace is experienced, has started some games, unlike Young, he hasn't sat out a whole year

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Buckeye-the 'hasn't sat out a whole year' has been bugging me some.

Seneca was cut by the Browns at the end of preseason in 2012, but I can't find any reference to him having been on anybody's roster/played last year. New Orleans signed him in Apr 2013, cut him, and then SF signed him in Aug.
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago

at this point whats the difference who the backup is, if aaron goes down were dead in the water regardless, lets say aaron gets dinged up for a play or two, wallace has the ability to run the ball as well as throw it , so thats not a bad guy in a pinch !!

Originally Posted by: nyrpack 

Not all injuries are season ending nor is all play by the backup just a play or two if the starter gets dinged up. Is the backup QB going to take us to the playoffs and beyond if Rodgers goes down for the season in week 3? Probably not, but. Having a QB that can come in and win a game or two in a spot start or two is important.
macbob
10 years ago

Not all injuries are season ending nor is all play by the backup just a play or two if the starter gets dinged up. Is the backup QB going to take us to the playoffs and beyond if Rodgers goes down for the season in week 3? Probably not, but. Having a QB that can come in and win a game or two in a spot start or two is important.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

It's not that the QB would come in and win the game, either. It's that he'd come in and not lose it. Flynn had a very credible performance against a very good Patriots team in 2010, on the way to our SB win. Packers would have won the game, too, except for special teams letting an OL return a KO to the goal line... :-&

I'd be more comfortable with Flynn backing us up, less so with Seneca...
UserPostedImage
macbob
10 years ago
MM is saying Seneca worked out for the Packers in the spring. I can't help but see the QB situation as a fail for TT--why didn't he bring in Seneca earlier if that's who was going to back up AR? IMO, scrambling at the last minute to add a back up shows we didn't have an adequate personnel plan. This shouldn't be happening at the NFL level 1st week of the season, after we've gone all the way through off-season workouts/training camp.
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago
Wow, judging from the comments on here Aaron Rodgers is not only the best QB in the league, he is superman. I thought Clay Matthews was the best OLB in the league. Turns out it is really Aaron Rodgers. I thought we had a great defensive back in Charles Woodson in years past but apparently that was Arron Rodgers as well. Our "best" receiving corps in the league, you guessed it Aaron Rodgers.

I wish someone would please explain it to me how our running game and offensive line could be so bad. We have Aaron Rodgers. Why did our run defense suck so bad in years past. Aaron Rodgers has been here for 8 years now. We should have been the best at everything. Well, for at least the last 5 when he started.

I didn't realize that our entire team, besides Rodgers sucks so badly.

After reading some of the crap posted here I am beginning to see a grain of truth to the things Jennings and Driver may or may not have said. When everyone anoints one guy as the savior, and more importantly, the only way we can win, I guess it would be hard for him to stay humble.

The heck with the Redskins changing their name, We should be called the Green Bay Aaron Rodgers'

Don't get me wrong. I think Rodgers is a great player and I am glad we have him. I also agree that if he goes down for the season we are in for a tough time (most teams are if their star goes down) I just haven't seen this much ass kissing for one player since we had some guy who wore the #4 playing QB. You know, the guy who was here right before Rodgers.
sschind
10 years ago

It's not that the QB would come in and win the game, either. It's that he'd come in and not lose it. Flynn had a very credible performance against a very good Patriots team in 2010, on the way to our SB win. Packers would have won the game, too, except for special teams letting an OL return a KO to the goal line... :-&

I'd be more comfortable with Flynn backing us up, less so with Seneca...

Originally Posted by: macbob 

So would I, heck I'd prefer to have Drew Brees as our backup but he is not available and neither is Flynn. At least not yet. Of course if you want Ted Thompson to give up the farm in a trade for a backup QB I suppose he would be more than happy to do that for you.

I would be willing to bet that Ted Thompson has been in contact with the Raiders regarding a possible trade for Flynn but its a two way street. You can't trade for a guy if the other team doesn't want to trade or if they want too much. Heck, I'm reasonably certain he has inquired to other team as well.

Am I happy with Wallace as our Backup? well, I'm not ecstatic about it but when you look at the other options available he is about as good as the come. Like I said, I'd be happier with Flynn but I am happier with Wallace than I would be with Young, Coleman or Harrell.

olds70supreme
10 years ago

After reading some of the crap posted here I am beginning to see a grain of truth to the things Jennings and Driver may or may not have said. When everyone anoints one guy as the savior, and more importantly, the only way we can win, I guess it would be hard for him to stay humble.

I don't follow your logic - Because you read some posts on a packers message board that indicate a fervent admiration of Rodgers, that means that he is not humble? I don't disagree about some hero worship where Rodgers is concerned, but I think that statement went too far to stay grounded in logic.

Regarding the backup QB situation, I look at it a different way: What position is most likely more important to the team? Backup QB, who historically will have little if any playing time, and then only in mop up? Or backup OL, WR, DL, etc..., who will see meaningful game snaps throughout the season?

I don't necessarily see how Wallace or Tolzien are better than Young, but I am guessing that Ted Thompson and Co made the decision with a lot more information than I have.
blank
sschind
10 years ago

MM is saying Seneca worked out for the Packers in the spring. I can't help but see the QB situation as a fail for TT--why didn't he bring in Seneca earlier if that's who was going to back up AR? IMO, scrambling at the last minute to add a back up shows we didn't have an adequate personnel plan. This shouldn't be happening at the NFL level 1st week of the season, after we've gone all the way through off-season workouts/training camp.

Originally Posted by: macbob 

They couldn't bring him in any earlier as he was under contract with the 49ers. As to why they didn't sign him if he worked out for them in the spring I have no idea. I'm guessing they had no idea Harrell and Coleman would be so bad and when they figured it out they went with the best option available at the time, Young. He sucked so they dumped him. Wallace became available and they grabbed him. Is it ideal? No it certainly isn't, but you can't argue that Ted Thompson hasn't been working to address the situation.

sschind
10 years ago

I don't follow your logic - Because you read some posts on a packers message board that indicate a fervent admiration of Rodgers, that means that he is not humble? I don't disagree about some hero worship where Rodgers is concerned, but I think that statement went too far to stay grounded in logic.

Regarding the backup QB situation, I look at it a different way: What position is most likely more important to the team? Backup QB, who historically will have little if any playing time, and then only in mop up? Or backup OL, WR, DL, etc..., who will see meaningful game snaps throughout the season?

I don't necessarily see how Wallace or Tolzien are better than Young, but I am guessing that Ted Thompson and Co made the decision with a lot more information than I have.

Originally Posted by: olds70supreme 

Yeah, I may have been a bit hard on Rodgers. He can't help the way his fans feel. I also didn't mean to imply that he is not humble. I just think that when you are the anointed one it has to go to your head a little.

Regarding your question about which is more important Id say the other positions and it sounds like you agree with me.

As far as Wallace being better than Young all I know is that what I saw from Young I don't think it would be difficult for Wallace to match and he has a higher upside IMO.
nyrpack
10 years ago

Wow, judging from the comments on here Aaron Rodgers is not only the best QB in the league, he is superman. I thought Clay Matthews was the best OLB in the league. Turns out it is really Aaron Rodgers. I thought we had a great defensive back in Charles Woodson in years past but apparently that was Arron Rodgers as well. Our "best" receiving corps in the league, you guessed it Aaron Rodgers.

I wish someone would please explain it to me how our running game and offensive line could be so bad. We have Aaron Rodgers. Why did our run defense suck so bad in years past. Aaron Rodgers has been here for 8 years now. We should have been the best at everything. Well, for at least the last 5 when he started.

I didn't realize that our entire team, besides Rodgers sucks so badly.

The heck with the Redskins changing their name, We should be called the Green Bay Aaron Rodgers'

Don't get me wrong. I think Rodgers is a great player and I am glad we have him. I also agree that if he goes down for the season we are in for a tough time (most teams are if their star goes down) I just haven't seen this much ass kissing for one player since we had some guy who wore the #4 playing QB. You know, the guy who was here right before Rodgers.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

call it what ever you want, but bottom line is the packers go as far as aaron rodgers take us !!
we are not alone in that boat, perfect example the broncos with manning as opposed to them without !!
jimmy b.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (16h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (17h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (17h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (21h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (23h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (23h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (23h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (23h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (23h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (23h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (23h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (23h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.