Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 1:10:27 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 90

Mike Wilkening wrote:
One intriguing under-the-radar training camp competition is in Green Bay, where Graham Harrell and B.J. Coleman will vie for the Packers' backup quarterback role. In a story published Friday in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Packers quarterbacks coach Ben McAdoo indicated Harrell has made strides since coming to Green Bay in 2010. "I think Graham can go in and win...
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Online nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 1:55:34 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,498
Applause Received: 625

Almost seems like they want Coleman to step up and take it.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DoddPower  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:11:37 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,973
Applause Received: 477

Coleman. Please.
Online texaspackerbacker  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:29:26 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 420
Applause Received: 251

Fair and Balanced, that's the way to do it.

To just throw away Harrell because of the potential quality of Coleman would be wasteful. First of all, if anything did ever happen to Aaron Rodgers, heaven forbid, then we would need a number two in addition to a starter. Beyond that, though, there is an investment of time and coaching skill in Harrell. He has value. At some point, maybe not before the coming season, he will be worth at least a mid-round pick. Given that Aaron Rodgers should be the starter for at least 7 or 8 more years if he stays healthy, the Packers will be in the same situation with Coleman at some point. It's a dilemma, but it's still a good thing.

My solution for this season is to keep all three - one way or another. If we can't stash somebody on IR, then it probably would be worthwhile to invest a spot on the 53 man roster.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Online steveishere  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 5:47:40 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 922

Hopefully the 2s and 3s on the line aren't so god awful this year in the preseason games and we can actually see what the back up QBs can do. I really wanted to see something out of Harrell last year but in every game I couldn't help but think he wasn't getting a fair shot because of how sh*tty the blocking was.
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:24:09 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 286
Applause Received: 266

Looking like a great QB doesn't mean he will be a great QB.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline DoddPower  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:04:38 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
At some point, maybe not before the coming season, he will be worth at least a mid-round pick. Given that Aaron Rodgers should be the starter for at least 7 or 8 more years if he stays healthy, the Packers will be in the same situation with Coleman at some point. It's a dilemma, but it's still a good thing.

Harrell will never be traded for a draft pick. If anyone even offered a 7th for him, the Packers should take it, but even that's not going to happen. I have no idea why you think that's going to happen. The Packers couldn't even trade Flynn, who had much more value than Harrell has, or is likely to ever have. He's just not very good.

Online nerdmann  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 10:57:30 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,498
Applause Received: 625

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
Harrell will never be traded for a draft pick. If anyone even offered a 7th for him, the Packers should take it, but even that's not going to happen. I have no idea why you think that's going to happen. The Packers couldn't even trade Flynn, who had much more value than Harrell has, or is likely to ever have. He's just not very good.

Here's the thing. Harrell isn't going anywhere. We'll never get anything for him in a trade. He's a Doug Pederson/Zeke Bratkowski type of dude. Career backup. He knows the offense, knows the team, knows what he has to do. Like Trent Dilfer on the Ravens, that's what you get. Not gotta be an all pro. But if disaster strikes, your team still has a shot.

Coleman is more the type of guy who's gonna want a shot to be The Man at some point. You draft and develop him. Maybe you showcase him in the preseason and make a trade. Like Matt Hasselbeck. We COULD have traded Flynn, but they wanted to keep him as a backup for one more year, because Harrell wasn't ready.

Two different types of guys.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DoddPower  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 7:36:21 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Here's the thing. Harrell isn't going anywhere. We'll never get anything for him in a trade. He's a Doug Pederson/Zeke Bratkowski type of dude. Career backup. He knows the offense, knows the team, knows what he has to do. Like Trent Dilfer on the Ravens, that's what you get. Not gotta be an all pro. But if disaster strikes, your team still has a shot.

Coleman is more the type of guy who's gonna want a shot to be The Man at some point. You draft and develop him. Maybe you showcase him in the preseason and make a trade. Like Matt Hasselbeck. We COULD have traded Flynn, but they wanted to keep him as a backup for one more year, because Harrell wasn't ready.

Two different types of guys.

Exactly. My main point is no one is trading more than a bag of nachos for Harrell.
Online texaspackerbacker  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:04:04 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 420
Applause Received: 251

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
Exactly. My main point is no one is trading more than a bag of nachos for Harrell.

Don't bet on it. Harrell ain't Aaron Rodgers; He ain't a lot of other things also; Potential-wise, he probably ain't even B.J. Coleman. I don't see that validity, however, of claiming he is all that bad. IMO, he is better than at least 25% of the QBs who have started NFL games in the last few years. He's also as good or better than a lot of teams' backups.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline agopackgo4  
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:10:34 PM(UTC)
agopackgo4

Applause Received: 3

I think the Packers need to make their decision on what to do based on situation. If Rodgers has to miss one game, go with Harrell. If Rodgers is going to be out for a lengthy amount of time, go with Coleman.
i think Harrell can come in and manage and get a win in a pinch.
But if Rodgers is out for a long time, the Packers could be in trouble. At that point I would rather just see the guy with a higher ceiling.
Offline DoddPower  
#12 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 9:22:24 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Don't bet on it. Harrell ain't Aaron Rodgers; He ain't a lot of other things also; Potential-wise, he probably ain't even B.J. Coleman. I don't see that validity, however, of claiming he is all that bad. IMO, he is better than at least 25% of the QBs who have started NFL games in the last few years. He's also as good or better than a lot of teams' backups.

What exactly is your opinion based on? I haven't missed a snap of Packers football in at least 8 years now, from Family Night, Preseason, to Super Bowl, and I haven't seen anything from Harrell other than maybe a drive or two that shows me he's even an average backup QB. I understand the coaching staff praises him and obviously believes on him, but I don't think we as fans have saw much. He had one good preseason game after multiple bad ones when playing against the bottom dwellers of the roster in the last preseason game of the season, I think. That was after several horrible games. He has little zip to his throws, seems to lack confidence, and doesn't have a big arm.

I'm more than willing to admit that he could completely change all opinions this preseason, and I hope he does. But, based of the body of work I've seen, I'm certainly not counting on it. That's likely why the coaching staff is splitting the reps with Coleman in hopes that he can finally make Harrell expendable, or at least a 3rd stringer.

If Harrell appears better than 25% of the QBs that have started in the last few years, it's mostly going to be a product of the Packers system. I seriously doubt he will ever have much success elsewhere. The Packers are his best shot. He's a great guy, just not very talented in the NFL, based on what we have seen in live action thus far in his career. He'll have to light it up in the preseason to change that. And even then, no one's going to trade for him. There are always several QBs in Harrell's realm of potential and way better coming out of every draft. The best thing he has going for him is receiving the Packers coaching, but that alone isn't going to be good enough to make any team give up a draft pick for him.