Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Grant hoping for more playing time

[img_r]http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/sep08/sryan25.jpg[/img_r]Green Bay - The way the Green Bay Packers have protected running back Ryan Grant might wind up being the smartest thing they do all season.

But it definitely hasnt made things easy for Grant in the short term.

At some point, possibly Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Grant will get the green light and be told he can stop managing a lingering hamstring injury and play with the kind of abandon that made him one of the most explosive runners in the National Football League last year.

Maybe on Sunday hell actually start playing enough snaps so teams wont know when he enters the game that hes going to get the ball.

Or maybe not.

Its a good sign that hes practicing well, said offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, whose unit ranks 15th in rushing. Well see how he responds when the game rolls around. Hes had a good week of preparation so far.

This is the first week Grant has been off the injury report since the season started and the first time he has practiced in full two days in a row since injuring the hamstring three days after signing a new contract Aug. 2. Still, no one is saying that hell be used Sunday the way he was used last year when he was allowed to stay on the field as long as his body could last.

In 2008, he only averaged 18 carries in the final 11 games of the season (including playoffs), but the percentage of plays he was on the field was a lot greater, posing a constant threat to the defense. Through three games this year, Grant hasnt presented the same threat because his hamstring has affected his speed and his number of snaps has been reduced.

Though he leads the team with 166 yards rushing on 40 carries, he has been on the field for slightly fewer than 70 plays from scrimmage, meaning when hes in the game theres a better than 50-50 chance hes getting the ball. That takes some of the deception out of the Packers offense.

It is the situation right now, Grant said, acknowledging the hurdle he faces. I hope it changes. But I just have to do what I have to do. Im doing more, feeling good, I made it through practice so far, feeling the best I have. So Im looking (for them) to move me forward.

As the head of the running back household, assistant coach Edgar Bennett monitors the number of snaps Grant gets in practice and games. In concert with head coach Mike McCarthy and the medical staff, Bennett draws up a plan each week for Grant to follow with the long-term health of his hamstring the priority.

Over the first three weeks, Grant has been on the field for roughly 80 plays, a dozen of which were penalties and dont count in the official totals. Thats about 25 plays per game or slightly less than 40% of the time the offense is on the field.

In the macho football world, some might say the Packers are babying Grant a little bit.

I wouldnt use that term, Bennett said, repeating himself two more times. Obviously were just being smart and doing whats best for the organization as well as him because certainly having him healthy and running on all cylinders benefits everyone. I think hes almost about to turn the corner, but Im going to keep an eye out so we can make the most of our opportunities.

In addition to limiting his snaps, Bennett and the medical staff have urged him not to open up on any of his runs in other words dont shift into the highest gear. Grant has been conscious of managing his hamstring, as his superiors like to call it, and has gradually been building up to top speed.

Grant smiled when asked if he felt he was being babied and said he understood what was at stake if he re-injured the hamstring.

I dont think its necessarily that, he said. They are trying to manage my carries. I didnt plan on it, but thats how it is. I know everybody doesnt want it to get worse and be a major problem, so we are trying to be smart about it.

It is significant that Grant has made it through two straight days of practice and appears not to have had any setbacks. He has spent the past two weeks resting on Wednesday and Thursday and then taking part in a non-padded practice on Friday.

Bennett thought he saw a little bit more of a burst in Grants step in the Dallas game he carried 13 times for 54 yards and hes encouraged about his progress heading into the game against the Buccaneers.

Grant, who has had only one rush of 20 or more yards this season, is getting a little tired of not being able to turn himself loose.

Initially when I would practice, it was really kind of frustrating, the coaches would tell me - even today they tell me to manage it. They dont want me opening it up too much. I feel like Im not really opening it up on some of my runs, but Im able to move a little more and react a little faster.

Before it felt like it was all at the same speed. Its feeling more natural.

UserPostedImage
15 years ago
For those of you in FFB leagues, now may be the time to try to trade for Grant. 😉
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I find it interesting they are telling him to 'manage' himself. I'm not sure about you, but I've always been told and heard that if you try NOT to get injured, that's when a injury is likely to happen.

To add to this, on a lighter note, I wonder if Ted instructed the coaches to have Grant 'manage' himself so we can save a few bucks on his contract so he doesn't hit those incentive totals lol
UserPostedImage
walleye
15 years ago
sweet - glad to here it!
UserPostedImage
Here Fishy Fishy
WhiskeySam
15 years ago
I'd always heard the only way to heal a hamstring was to rest it. If that's true, we might be better off holding him out until it's sound rather than risk reaggravating it all season.
Nemo me impune lacessit
TengoJuego
15 years ago
Walleye your sig has me mesmerized everytime I see it.

Anyway, its about time Grant gets his motor runnin'. I'm ready to see a big 150 yard performance.
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Walleye your sig has me mesmerized everytime I see it.

Anyway, its about time Grant gets his motor runnin'. I'm ready to see a big 150 yard performance.

"TengoJuego" wrote:

Scares the shit out of me cuz I never know when my boss is walking behind me and I scroll over it. I can't read his posts cuz of it lol but i like it too much to request it being taken down. Risk vs Reward hah
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

I'd always heard the only way to heal a hamstring was to rest it. If that's true, we might be better off holding him out until it's sound rather than risk reaggravating it all season.

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

I heard the same thing. I wonder why Mike McCarthy keeps him in. B-Jack has been looking better so far anyways. Not saying that Grant's not the better RB, but he will be when he's healthy and we need to get him healthy.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
gbpfan
15 years ago
glad he is ready to play hope the holes are there for him,jackson just keeps on going think he could be our barber the way he plays with both our run game should be good :icon_smile:
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (11h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (14h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (17h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (18h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.