wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

People too quickly forget how good Grant was. For two and a half seasons after he took over the starting job, he was the best back in football not named Adrian Peterson.

Originally Posted by: JustJeff 

I have nothing against Grant. He was more than adequate. But 2 seasons does not a career nor greatness make.

With that said in 2008 he finished 9th in total yards.

2 Michael Turner ATL
3 DeAngelo Williams CAR
4 Clinton Portis WAS
5 Thomas Jones NYJ
6 Steve Slaton HOU
7 Matt Forte CHI
8 Chris Johnson TEN

will all say they think they were better rbs than Grant. Williams, Jones, Slaton and Johnson all had more yards on fewer carries. Every one of them had a better avg per carry than Grant except Forte who had the same 3.9 avg.

2009 most of the same cast of characters. Drew-Jones and ray Rice were added to the mix. Grant finished a little better at 7th. His avg was better at 5.1 but there were others who still had him beat.

As I said he was more than adequate but I doubt he was second best rb in the league even for 2 years. Thomas Jones and Chris Johnson had more production than he did. Steve Jackson was right in there too.

UserPostedImage
JustJeff
10 years ago

People too quickly forget how good Grant was. For two and a half seasons after he took over the starting job, he was the best back in football not named Adrian Peterson.

Originally Posted by: JustJeff 

I have nothing against Grant. He was more than adequate. But 2 seasons does not a career nor greatness make.

With that said in 2008 he finished 9th in total yards.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I was focused on Grant's production pre-injury, not his career or "greatness."

Humor me for a moment.

My window was plainly spelled out. Two and a half seasons. I went through the 2007, 2008 & 2009 seasons and pulled the numbers for the top ten yardage backs for those three years (about 18 backs total). I pulled the numbers for that window. Here are the top ten in...

Rushing Yards
4559 Chris Johnson
3827 Adrian Peterson
3456 Ryan Grant
3346 Thomas Jones
3261 Matt Forte
3227 Steven Jackson
3109 DeAngelo Williams
2873 Michael Turner
2862 Clinton Portis
2797 LaDainian Tomlinson

Yards Per Carry
5.30 DeAngelo Williams
5.08 Chris Johnson
4.74 Adrian Peterson
4.46 Ryan Grant
4.42 Michael Turner
4.33 Steven Jackson
4.18 Thomas Jones
4.16 Willis McGahee
4.15 Brian Westbrook
4.11 Marshawn Lynch

Total Yards
5582 Chris Johnson
4549 Matt Forte
4469 Adrian Peterson
4142 Steven Jackson
3847 Ryan Grant
3756 Thomas Jones
3681 LaDainian Tomlinson
3584 DeAngelo Williams
3398 Clinton Portis
3254 Brian Westbrook

Scoring
222 LaDainian Tomlinson
222 Adrian Peterson
200 Chris Johnson
186 Thomas Jones
184 DeAngelo Williams
168 Willis McGahee
168 Michael Turner
162 Ryan Grant
144 Brian Westbrook
134 Matt Forte

Only five backs show up in the top 10 in all four categories: Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Ryan Grant, Thomas Jones and DeAngelo Williams.

If you put those results in inverse order for scoring like a 10-point-must system, the results are...
Rank
37 Chris Johnson
34 Adrian Peterson
24 Ryan Grant
23 Thomas Jones
23 DeAngelo Williams
17 Steven Jackson
16 Matt Forte
15 LaDainian Tomlinson
13 Michael Turner
08 Willis McGahee
05 Brian Westbrook
04 Clinton Portis
01 Marshawn Lynch

Grant was very good for a short period.

UserPostedImage 
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
Jeff I saw that you said 2 1/2 years and I know why you did that. I don't think it is fair to crop a season short just to validate a point so I intentionally ignored the 2007 season. We could get something so narrow that we could end up with saying he is the best rb in week 12 of 2009 (I really don't know who did what that week. I am just using it as an example.) You can leave it in that is your prerogative. I can ignore it. That is mine.

For 2007 he had a very respectable 956 yards in only 188 carries. A 5.1 average. That said he was 19th overall for the year.

Back to your original comment. I haven't forgotten what he did for GB. I simply wouldn't use the word "awesome" when describing him. He was good for a very very short period of time. I am glad he was with GB as they had no one else to fall back on.

UserPostedImage
JustJeff
10 years ago

Jeff I saw that you said 2 1/2 years and I know why you did that.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I did that because he didn't get the starting gig till then. He was a final 53 cut. He couldn't have started in week one regardless. There's no back that could have.
UserPostedImage 
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
FLASHBACK!!! FLASHBACK!!!!!

LOL

I really feel bad for these guys coming in this year.

#1. There is not going to be a 3 down back in the lineup.
(Todays rules favor the passing game, Packers have a pretty good
guy at qb, they pay him throw the ball not to run.)

#2. See #1, hopefully everyone gets through TC injury free, then MIke and Ted will have to decide who to keep.

Those they keep are going to be splitting the touches, not one player is going to get more than 10-15 touches a game max.

#3 Ryan Grant gets 1200+yds when he was the #1 guy, and there were a lot here that wanted him replaced.
(I said it when he went down "be careful whar you ask for") Except for a few games in the 2010 playoff run, the running game has never been the same.

This doesn't bode well for these new rb's, expectations on this board are already sky high, already feeling bad for them, unless they explode for 1500+ yds it seems they will also be labeled as failures.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (18h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (19h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (22h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.