PackerTraxx
10 years ago
Jordy and Jones should be in their prime and I believe Cobb will more than replace Jennings. Boykins and the 5th and maybe 6th receiver should be as good as any we've had at those positions. Finley should at least be equal as he's been and Quarless could help. So receivers should be as good as ever. Three number one choices who were projected starters sitting out last year really hurt and we still have two of them out. I don't think any other team would weather that any better. Bak is the key at this point, if he can play respectably and we can stay relatively healthy from here on we should be OK.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago
Lets not forget Finley broke the record for 61 Catches in a season in Packers history. Imagine 75, 85 catches a season by him, that would be amazing.

Rodgers has high praise for Finley this season. He mentioned his route running, film study, and catching has improved. He hasn't even tweeted since training camp started, maybe even a longer time span than that.

Hopefully Finley finally puts it all together. I like Finley a lot more than most fans do, and I would not be disappointed if we brought him back next year.
Laser Gunns
10 years ago
As for the WR replacement issue,

Jennings may have been out most of the last two years.. But he still managed to get ALOT more production than those two doofs combined.

Jordy has had 1 amazing season in his career, the other 4 years are really nothing special.

Cobb is for the most part, unproven, I personally use 1k yards as a benchmark for a "true #1", and he has yet to reach that point. (However close)

Jones is known. He can get 600-800 yards and some TDs.

^these 3 have been here so I don't really consider them a replacement

Jennings was, during his hayday, by far better than these 3. Posting 5 straight seasons over 900 yards (jordy and Cobb each have 1) and 3 straight 1000+ seasons (again, Jordy's only good year breaks 1k)

Boykin, has one first down catch in his career (one more in playoffs), and was previously an undrafted FA cut by the Jaguars. So forgive me if I'm not on board this hype-train.

Jeremy Ross, is another UFA cut by the patriots. He has no catches in the regular season. And already has earned some ire for his fumble in the playoffs.

Johnson and Dorsey have not done jack since we took them in the 7th.

And the rest are more UFAs... Who did go undrafted for a reason...

So basically we have a bunch of scrub players fighting for Driver and Jennings' old spots... Now maybe there is a diamond in this pile of droppings.. But I'm not willing to bank on it.

"B-b-b-but tyrone walker!"

Big whoop! 41 yards in a PRESEASON game against vanilla defenses doesn't mean jack. Lets just put that in perspective. Shall we?

Tori Gurly (9 for 81)
Dale Moss (5 for 51)
Diondre Borel (7 for 48)
Chasten West (3 for 45) (8 for 153)
Kerry Taylor (7 for 56)
Ryan Taylor (5 for 54)
Charles Dillon (8 for 99)
Brett Swain (8 for 164)
Patrick Williams (8 for 101)

All these guys have posted better numbers than that the last two preseasons, and what have they done for us? ... Exactly.

Thake off the goggles my peeps!

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Laser Gunns
10 years ago

Lets not forget Finley broke the record for 61 Catches in a season in Packers history. Imagine 75, 85 catches a season by him, that would be amazing.

Rodgers has high praise for Finley this season. He mentioned his route running, film study, and catching has improved. He hasn't even tweeted since training camp started, maybe even a longer time span than that.

Hopefully Finley finally puts it all together. I like Finley a lot more than most fans do, and I would not be disappointed if we brought him back next year.

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

Agreed.

J-Mike can easily put up 600-700+ this year

But I am more focusing on the WR position specifically.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
steveishere
10 years ago
Driver was absolutely nothing last year he couldn't even make the active game day roster. Jennings last year pretty uneffective even when he did play. Jennings only had 11 less targets than Jordy last year and he had 330 less yards. Even before both of them started getting hurt Jordy was the one leading the team. Greg hasn't been the #1 on this team since 2010. Most teams don't go 3 deep on quality receivers. We got by plenty of games last year without Greg or Jordy and we will be fine again with the 3 we have. I don't understand the panic.

Worrying about arbitrary statistical benchmarks IMO is a little lazy and shallow. Jordy, JJ, and Cobb didn't get to 1000 yards last year but each one has proven the ability to take over a game or make a key catch or first down or TD. That's all you need. If you are expecting a team to keep 4 or 5 top quality receivers every year you've got some disappointment coming your way.
DoddPower
10 years ago

Driver was absolutely nothing last year he couldn't even make the active game day roster. Jennings last year pretty uneffective even when he did play. Jennings only had 11 less targets than Jordy last year and he had 330 less yards. Even before both of them started getting hurt Jordy was the one leading the team. Greg hasn't been the #1 on this team since 2010. Most teams don't go 3 deep on quality receivers. We got by plenty of games last year without Greg or Jordy and we will be fine again with the 3 we have. I don't understand the panic.

Worrying about arbitrary statistical benchmarks IMO is a little lazy and shallow. Jordy, JJ, and Cobb didn't get to 1000 yards last year but each one has proven the ability to take over a game or make a key catch or first down or TD. That's all you need. If you are expecting a team to keep 4 or 5 top quality receivers every year you've got some disappointment coming your way.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Well said. And if this team has any common sense, any slight drop-off in production from the wide receivers should be made up by increased production in the run game, which should also improve the efficiency of the passing game. One has to remember that the Packers didn't have a very good running game when comparing passing statistics from the past several seasons. I would expect the Packers passing statistics to go down a little as the rushing statistics go up. Or at least that's what I'm hoping for.

beast
10 years ago
the sky is falling the sky is falling

UserPostedImage

seems like this happens every couple of years... good players go, waiting for new good players to step up.

But remember those good players that left weren't always good... they became good by growing into it.

Now we're just waiting for the new guys to grow into it.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
IMNSHO,
1. Jones is a stud. (#2A, possibly becoming a #1)
2. The only question about Cobb is length of his current injury. If healthy, he's a threat. (#2B)
3. Nelson, the only real question about him right now is his health. I don't think of him as a #1, unlike many here, but I do think he is a solid #2. (#2C)

I've said before that I don't think any of them are as good as Jennings is. And I thought it would have been worth it to overspend to keep him. I do think they'll miss him.

At the same time, I do think they have three solid #2 quality receivers. Four if you add in Finley. So there are still four threats that the other team has to deal with.

After those four, everyone else is "potential". But I'm not bothered all that much by filling the #4 and #5 WR spots (and the #2 TE) with potential. Four bona fide threats is still one or two more than most teams have. I'd rather have that than one mega-star and a bunch of guys.

If we were looking for Walker, Boykins, Ross, et al to step up to be another #2 or even a #3 for an entire season, it might be different. But at this point, we don't really need them for that.

Now if Cobb and Nelson are gone longer, then the team has issues at WR. But what team wouldn't if they lost not just their #1 to free agency but two of the next three to injury?

I don't expect any UFA or late draft choice to become a #1 or #2 or #3 receiver. I don't think anyone should. And I don't think TT, MM, and company are thinking that way. What they are looking for is 2-3 guys who can be a #4 and a short-term fill in for #3.

And given that the person throwing to them is the #1 quarterback in all of football, they probably only need someone who can be a #5.

I'd still rather have Jennings. With Jennings, IMO, the Packers would still have the #1 set of receivers in NFL. Without him, they're still in the top 10 though. And with Rodgers at the helm, that's equivalent to saying they're still in the top five.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Laser Gunns
10 years ago

the sky is falling the sky is falling

UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: beast 

Not even close to my point... At no point did I say this was going to ruin the team, In fact, this year we landed players in some key positions that we needed (OT, RB, DE, + a healthy OLB)

The whole point of when I made this thread 5 months ago, was pointing out that where we currently have a weakness, we have inadequitly replaced the player that previously manned it.

The Jarius Wynn/ CJ Wilson combo for example... He have had these bad players in a position vacated by Cullen Jenkins because Mike Neal has not worked out. Leaving 1/3 of our line in the hands of people, who cannot handle it. As evidenced by their poor performance.

The "non CM3" LB has been a weakness for FOUR years, and had been manned by late rounders and UDFAs (sound familiar maybe??.) and was unaddressed until we selected perry. Unfortunately we had to wait a bit longer for him.

Is this team awful? Fuck no. In fact, I love the additions this year.. weve (supposedly) upgraded 3 of the __ positions i listed. But I defiantly don't believe "the best QB in the game" deserved to have his weapons come out of the "Erik Walden" pile. And that soon, the position will need to be addressed.

And as for my "artificial benchmark", it is hardly unfair for a team that passes as much as we do to have that.

Not all criticism lands into a doomsday scenario.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Which is why I stay out of most posts where fans discuss GM stuff. Good points, but my head hurts when I have to evaluate on grand scales. I cannot imagine how hard it is being a GM in this league. So I just try to evaluate what we got against what other teams have from game to game and leave it there. Love the discussion here though!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (5h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.