DoddPower
10 years ago

Not even close to my point... At no point did I say this was going to ruin the team, In fact, this year we landed players in some key positions that we needed (OT, RB, DE, + a healthy OLB)

The whole point of when I made this thread 5 months ago, was pointing out that where we currently have a weakness, we have inadequitly replaced the player that previously manned it.

The Jarius Wynn/ CJ Wilson combo for example... He have had these bad players in a position vacated by Cullen Jenkins because Mike Neal has not worked out. Leaving 1/3 of our line in the hands of people, who cannot handle it. As evidenced by their poor performance.

The "non CM3" LB has been a weakness for FOUR years, and had been manned by late rounders and UDFAs (sound familiar maybe??.) and was unaddressed until we selected perry. Unfortunately we had to wait a bit longer for him.

Is this team awful? feck no. In fact, I love the additions this year.. weve (supposedly) upgraded 3 of the __ positions i listed. But I defiantly don't believe "the best QB in the game" deserved to have his weapons come out of the "Erik Walden" pile. And that soon, the position will need to be addressed.

Not all criticism lands into a doomsday scenario.

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar 

When healthy, the Packers offense doesn't even come close to being a weakness, imo. In fact, it's the exact opposite and is a huge strength. The offensive line worries me a bit, but so long as the rookie left tackle (I don't want to try to spell his name) is adequate, the Packers will still be dangerous. Also, if the running game improves even a little bit, the offense as a whole will be better (not to mention makes things a little easier on the defense).

There's not a team in the NFL that wouldn't be weaker when missing a few starters due to injury. Give the Packers offense a competent running game, and they are going to be incredibly tough to beat every week. Not to mention, the defense SHOULD improve some this season too, which will also make this team more dangerous.

Overall, I think the Packers are in much better shape this season than they were last season. Injuries could de-rail that again this season, but that's always going to be the case. We just have to hope that the Packers stay relatively healthy. Regardless, they are still going to be in the playoffs with the threat of going deep. They are contenders, absolutely, which is all one can really hope for in the volatile NFL.
beast
10 years ago

Not even close to my point... At no point did I say this was going to ruin the team, In fact, this year we landed players in some key positions that we needed (OT, RB, DE, + a healthy OLB)

The whole point of when I made this thread 5 months ago, was pointing out that where we currently have a weakness, we have inadequitly replaced the player that previously manned it.

I understand you were just trying to point out the weakness and where we need to get stronger, but it's not always easy to just replace good playmakers all of a sudden. Especially when the GM is trying to not use FA.

And while we no longer have a Jenkin, we now have a Perry.

While we no longer have a Woodson, we now have a Hayward.

While we no longer have a Jennings, we have a Cobb

While we no longer have Collins, we have .... yeah okay so that's still a problem.
But Collins was a special player, some can't be replace quickly.

But players comes, players go... and more players come.

The bigger problem is keeping those players healthy it seems.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

The Jarius Wynn/ CJ Wilson combo for example... He have had these bad players in a position vacated by Cullen Jenkins because Mike Neal has not worked out. Leaving 1/3 of our line in the hands of people, who cannot handle it. As evidenced by their poor performance.

The "non CM3" LB has been a weakness for FOUR years, and had been manned by late rounders and UDFAs (sound familiar maybe??.) and was unaddressed until we selected perry. Unfortunately we had to wait a bit longer for him.

Is this team awful? feck no. In fact, I love the additions this year.. weve (supposedly) upgraded 3 of the __ positions i listed. But I defiantly don't believe "the best QB in the game" deserved to have his weapons come out of the "Erik Walden" pile. And that soon, the position will need to be addressed.

And as for my "artificial benchmark", it is hardly unfair for a team that passes as much as we do to have that.

Not all criticism lands into a doomsday scenario.

I totally get where you are coming from RajiRoar.

This is high stakes poker. Ted is thinking his safer route to talent replacement is draft & develop. While it DID work for us in 2010, we stood poised to win one or two more Super Bowls these past two seasons, and we came up really short in the exact areas where we lost talent, namely the DL and via injury at S.

The problem I see with a strict adherence to draft & develop is if you miss on keeping a great player from moving on in FA, your replacement in terms of true talent and effectiveness in your system may not be realized until years down the road.

Not all draft picks work out. Not all FA acquisitions work out either. But, for me, I would rather add a veteran presence at a key position of need via FA to insure an NFL level of play and competency, one that may pay real dividends now, while Rodgers et al are hot, vs. waiting 2 or 3 years for your draft class to develop into another hopeful winner.

Here we are 3 years after drafting Neal, hoping he turns into something? We've got a rookie in Datone, who is very promising, but, it is 3 years later... And Perry... That hasn't been the fix to this point either.

We have to hope our players continue to develop, while Rodgers, Matthews, Jones, Raji, Finley are in their prime.

Personally, I wish we had just a bit more balance in talent acquisition: draft & develop + adding a top FA talent or two every year or two. Just to even it out. I think we are always too young. Far too young.
warhawk
10 years ago
When you look at the WR position it is hard for me to see anyone dogging Ted Thompson there. We have a good WR core. Jennings was getting to that last contract stage where Ted has always been cautious and history has pretty much been on his side. Most the players that were on the downward side wanting big bucks that he has let slide have not proven to be a huge mistake to let go.

You have to look at the big picture when your in Ted's shoes. Yes, Jennings moved on. What did you want Ted to do? Use a high draft pick the following spring when you have other good WR's and need DL and RB help? Would the team be better off right now with immediately going after a talent matching Jennings in his hey days or bringing in Jones and Lacy and OL help? I think not.

Considering the talent on the roster Ted made the moves this team needed AT THIS TIME. Who brought Jennings here in the first place? Followed by Nelson, Jones, Finley, Cobb. Simply put Jennings was a 2nd round pick that had 1st round talent but if Ted had gone early to replace him and NOT taken Jones or Lacy I would have jumped thru the screen and strangled Ted Thompson myself.

I highly doubt this group of WR's puts up puny numbers but if that were the case I am sure Ted Thompson will go to the well next year and deal with it. For now I am anxiously awaiting seeing Jones in opposing backfields and Lacy slicing and bulling over defenses thank you very much.

"The train is leaving the station."
steveishere
10 years ago

And as for my "artificial benchmark", it is hardly unfair for a team that passes as much as we do to have that.

You mean a team that hasn't even been in the top 10 in passing attempts since 2009.
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago

You mean a team that hasn't even been in the top 10 in passing attempts since 2009.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

That's odd.. 2009 is when we actually ran the ball well.
Cheesey
10 years ago
Let's look at other teams in the league and compare them to what the Packers have done the last few years.
Many teams would have loved just to make the playoffs. Lets face it, we are spoiled.
And you can't keep every player. You see guys team-jumping for "mo money" every year. And as far as Jennings, it became pretty obvious to me that he was NOT happy, and would have been a distraction on the team had he stayed here. The crap his sister spewed i would guess came from Jennings himself.
He's got such an inflated ego now, he will probably burst.

I never thought he would turn out to be another T.O or Randy "ME ME ME!" Moss.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
10 years ago
But we would like to be spoiled a little more with a few more SBs. 🖐

...and I won't miss Greg either.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
nerdmann
10 years ago

But we would like to be spoiled a little more with a few more SBs. 🖐

...and I won't miss Greg either.

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

Greg was a very good player. But he was breaking down. Couldn't stay healthy the last TWO years, and he's on the wrong side of 30.

This team won 12 Word Championships without Greg Jennings. We can do it again.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Laser Gunns
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Don't pretend our offense does not go through the passing game.. We don't need a lot of attempts to rack up yards unlike other teams (Saints, Lions, Giants)

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.