Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://i.packers.com/images/action/080912harris215.jpg[/img_r]In terms of size and physicality, the starting receivers for the Detroit Lions present one of the toughest matchups the Green Bay Packers will face all season.

Veteran Roy Williams, who's 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds, and second-year rising star Calvin Johnson, 6-5 and 235, have the kind of athleticism, reach and jump-ball ability not necessarily seen every week, particularly not in the NFC North.

But the Lions can be sure to see the same type of coverage from the Packers they've always seen, whether it be against them or on film against other teams. Veteran cornerbacks Al Harris (6-1, 190) and Charles Woodson (6-1, 202) are going to stick to their bump-and-run, in-your-face press coverage at the line of scrimmage that's a staple of defensive coordinator Bob Sanders' scheme, no matter how the matchup looks on paper.

Woodson is listed on the injury report as questionable with a fractured toe, and he didn't practice all week, but Head Coach Mike McCarthy said he'll give him all the way up until kickoff on Sunday to see if he can play. If Woodson is held out, McCarthy said Tramon Williams and Will Blackmon would see significant playing time.

But no matter who's on the field for the Packers, the defensive backs are going to play their game.

"We're going to do what we do," Harris said. "It doesn't change."
What has changed somewhat is Detroit's offense, from the wide-open pass-oriented attack of former offensive coordinator Mike Martz to a more conservative, run-first approach led by new coordinator Jim Colletto. But that doesn't mean the Lions are putting their pass-catching weapons on the back burner. Far from it.

Detroit quarterback Jon Kitna said it's been more of a "streamlining" process, with many of the complexities of Martz's passing system trimmed out. He says the new playbook is "less mentally taxing," particularly for him and his receivers, and he believes that will pay dividends for Williams and Johnson as they continue to make the transition together.

"I think what it's done has really tried to take those guys, find out what they do best, and let's use that over and over," Kitna said. "I think they feel comfortable with it, and they like that part of it, and that's a good thing. I like for my receivers to be doing things they feel comfortable with."

Johnson certainly seems to be growing more comfortable, and hence more dangerous, as an NFL receiver after being drafted fourth overall in 2007. Lingering back problems over the final three-fourths of his rookie year limited his production, but he still posted 48 catches for 756 yards and four touchdowns last season.

Now fully healthy, he was one of few bright spots for the Lions in their season-opening defeat in Atlanta last week, with seven grabs for 107 yards.

"He's been healthy, he's learning the offense well and he's a tremendous competitor," Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said. "He's getting better and better each week.

"We're still looking for different ways to get him the ball, as with Roy. It still starts up front in terms of running the football for us, and I think when that happens we'll really be able to utilize him."

Meanwhile Williams remains an elite receiver, catching 64 passes for 838 yards and five TDs last season despite missing the final four games with a knee injury. The year before, Williams made the Pro Bowl with a 1,300-yard season.

Ever since Williams lit up the Packers for seven catches and 138 yards, including a 42-yard touchdown, in the teams' first meeting in 2006, Harris has been matched up specifically against him on the vast majority of snaps and succeeded at containing him. The next two Packers-Lions games (Dec. 17, 2006 and Thanksgiving last year), Williams managed a combined four catches for 43 yards.

Williams and Harris have the utmost respect for one another, and they'll likely be one-on-one again on Sunday at Ford Field. Cornerbacks coach Lionel Washington doesn't know exactly why Harris has had so much success keeping Williams from being a factor in their recent meetings, but part of it comes from the stubbornness of sticking to a technique that can be exhausting for both the cornerback and receiver throughout a game.

"Certain receivers you go against, for some reason you match up better," Washington said. "I don't have an answer for why he does or why he doesn't. But certain guys you match up against, you have a better feel for. For some reason you understand that receiver better. And sometimes there are going to be receivers who give you problems. It works both ways.

"The challenging part of those guys going up every snap and (getting) in their face, is they don't back down when something good or bad happens. That's the most challenging part, because when it's going good, the guys are up there, and when it's going bad, they're up there, so the receivers don't know what to think at times. It's a challenge each week and we'll go out there and face it and see what happens."

One receiver who gave Harris problems was Plaxico Burress of the New York Giants in last season's NFC Championship Game. Burress, who's 6-5 and 232 pounds, caught several back-shoulder throws and other jump balls on his way to an 11-reception, 151-yard performance in the Giants' overtime victory.

Even though Williams and Johnson are of similar build, Harris said that won't factor into how he, Woodson and the other corners play on Sunday.

"It's not about how big a guy is as what they do," Harris said. "You adjust your game to what they do. It's not so much if a guy is 6-5 or a guy is 5-9, you don't switch up your technique at all. You just recognize what they do."

The Lions will certainly recognize what the Packers do. As McCarthy says, it's the way he likes his guys to play.

"The bigger physical receiver, you have to always try to get hand placement, and good foot movement at the line of scrimmage," Washington said. "That's something we do well, and if we can match up that way as far as getting our hands on and doing some things we like to do at the line of scrimmage, I think they'll do a good job against them."

UserPostedImage
TengoJuego
15 years ago
I wouldn't expect the style to change, this will be a GREAT warm up game for these corners, especially if Woodson isn't ready to go. TBH I feel if we can contain these two WR's, we can contain T.O. Not saying either of them are better or anything, but like I said, its great preparation.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (16h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.