texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Here's my 53: 

QB:
Rodgers, Aaron
Coleman, BJ

Coleman’s not ready yet, but he’s made enough progress for them to get rid of Harrell.

RB
Green
Starks
Franklin
Lacy
Harris

Having a versatile guy like Barclay enables them to keep all 5 RBs, plus Kuhn. I think Green and Starks start out as the starters, but by the end of the season, Franklin and Lacy are making some big plays.

FB
Kuhn

Kuhn gets one more year, if he shows he can still play.

TE
Finley
Quarless
Bostick
Mulligan

PS: Stoneburner.
Stoneburner’s a developmental project. Could be a real player, but needs a year.

WR
Cobb
Jones
Nelson
Johnson
Ross

PS: Kevin Dorsey
Charles Johnson has to get on the field in order to beat out Boykin. This remains to be seen. Otherwise he ends up on the PS. Might even get snatched by another team. Ross makes it, because he is the punt returner. Otherwise he gets beat out by Dorsey, who also needs to get on the field in order to earn it.

C
EDS
Barclay

PS: Lewis

Unfortunately, because in our offense, this position requires the ability to “QB the offensive line,” we don’t have a backup who’s ready. Tretter was slated to beat out EDS, but he broke his leg on the first day of spring practices. Don’t get me started on THAT. Barclay makes the team, but Lewis has a chance to compete. He’ll probably end up on the PS if Barclay shows competence at the position.

G
Sitton
Lang
Van Roten
Barclay

I think this position is fairly clear cut. Why do they have to take Datko and try to put him inside at G? They always do this with their Ts. Wastes everyone’s time.

T
Bulaga
Newhouse
Bakthiari
Datko
Barclay

Barclay’s not really in the race to start at this position. He’s showing his value by being versatile, but he really belongs inside. Datko also has to show he can stay healthy. Sherrod and Tretter will be PUP’d.

DEFENSE

NT
Pickett
Raji
Pena

PS: Boyd
Of course Raji and Pena will play out of position most of the time. Boyd gets PS’d, but I think he can play.

DE
Jones
Neal
Jolly
Daniels

CJ Wilson can make the team if there’s an injury. For example, if Neal ends up being out indefinitely. Jerel Worthy gets PUP’d.

ILB
Hawk
Jones
Manning
Barrington

Only one guy here who can cover.

OLB
Matthews
Perry
Moses
Palmer

Palmer needs to show he can play.

CB
Williams
Shields
Hawyard
House
Hyde

PS: Nixon
There’s some real depth here.

S
Burnett
McMillian
Jennings
Bush

Stick a fork in Richardson. This staff won’t get near a neck injury. I still wouldn’t mind seeing them move Hyde or House to this position.

ST
Crosby
Goode
Masthay

Tevechio will make more kicks than Crosby, but they’ll keep Crosby anyway, because he has a stronger leg and can make all the technical kicks, like the squib and the onside.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I hate to tell you, because I like a lot of your choices, but it all adds up to 55, not 53.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
10 years ago

I hate to tell you, because I like a lot of your choices, but it all adds up to 55, not 53.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Hahaha, Barclay's listed at C, G and T.

His versatility is what saves two extra roster spots. Kind of shows how valuable it is to have guys on the OL who can slide around like that. It pisses me off when they try to force their Ts to play G, but this is a great illustration of why they do that, and how valuable it is.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

You really think they'll be going with only 23 guys on defense? That seems too low... especially since they like defenser for STs.... and they're gone with 26 some years.

Also an extra QB, RB and WR? that seems a bit much... also I think they've started every year off with at least 4 S and normally have about 10 LBers on the roster.

Originally Posted by: beast 

They were really heavy last year on LBs - maybe because of a lot of qualitative question marks i.e. bad players. 2 per position should be enough. Same thing with the D Line, and 9 DBs pretty much includes everybody worth including, I think. That makes 23.

I still think we keep all 3 QBs, and it would be difficult putting Coleman on the PS and impossible for Harrell.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
Banjo probably just a camp body, Ted always searching for better talent, McMahon got his shot, now he is moving on.

The Hines signing is a little more interesting, IMHO, Ted putting the pressure on the young guys to step it up.
At this point any wr signed has a chance for a PS spot at the least with the injuries already sustained.

Packers | Chris Banjo signs
Mon, 29 Jul 2013 15:14:42 -0700

The Green Bay Packers signed free-agent FS Chris Banjo (Jaguars) to an undisclosed deal Monday, July 29, and waived S Ryan McMahon in a corresponding move.

Share: Tweet! Share on Facebook | Source: KFFL.com

Packers | Bringing in Omarius Hines
Mon, 29 Jul 2013 12:20:37 -0700

The Green Bay Packers will sign free-agent WR Omarius Hines (Ravens).

Share: Tweet! Share on Facebook | Source: The Baltimore Sun - Aaron Wilson

http://www.kffl.com/team/17/nfl/green-bay-packers#ixzz2aUIlErJi 
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Hahaha, Barclay's listed at C, G and T.

His versatility is what saves two extra roster spots. Kind of shows how valuable it is to have guys on the OL who can slide around like that. It pisses me off when they try to force their Ts to play G, but this is a great illustration of why they do that, and how valuable it is.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

hahahaha Well Done.

beast
10 years ago

They were really heavy last year on LBs - maybe because of a lot of qualitative question marks i.e. bad players. 2 per position should be enough. Same thing with the D Line, and 9 DBs pretty much includes everybody worth including, I think. That makes 23.

I still think we keep all 3 QBs, and it would be difficult putting Coleman on the PS and impossible for Harrell.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Packers had 10 LBers last year... since going to the 3-4 they normally have 10 LBers, so it wasn't heavy.
Sometimes it's more OLBers, other times it's more ILBers but still 10 LBers.
Mike McCarthy has explained they like LBers and TEs for STs, which is why they'll keep extra LBers.

Back-up QB doesn't help on STs... and depends on who the WR and RB who, weather they would help on STs or not.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago

Barclay’s not really in the race to start at this position

They have been giving him 2nd team and even some 1st team reps at RT. I really don't think they'd do that if he wasn't even "in the race"
OlHoss1884
10 years ago
I think they'll keep the extra tight end and cut Kuhn. I also think they'll cut Starks and keep an extra LB. In both cases, more benefit to the special teams and added depth where they need it.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
nerdmann
10 years ago

I think they'll keep the extra tight end and cut Kuhn. I also think they'll cut Starks and keep an extra LB. In both cases, more benefit to the special teams and added depth where they need it.

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 

I bet they cut Harris before Starks.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
Not what anyone was looking for. I guess the only silver lining is that this happened real early in TC.

Bakhtiari has 4 weeks to get ready.

I had Bakhtiari fighting for a roster spot 5 months ago, gonna move him to 53 man squad and put Bulaga on my IR list.

Packers | Confirm Bryan Bulaga's injury
Mon, 05 Aug 2013 10:34:12 -0700

Updating a previous report, the Green Bay Packers have confirmed that OT Bryan Bulaga (knee) suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament during the team's scrimmage this weekend and will miss the entire 2013 season.

http://www.kffl.com/team/17/nfl/green-bay-packers#ixzz2b7ewcES6 
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!