Zero2Cool
11 years ago
I so excited! It's going to be AWESOME!

I agree with the dislike of the multiple topics and I like Shawn's idea. Have a section called "RSS Monster" or something.

The only problem with that is it's not automatic.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

I so excited! It's going to be AWESOME!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Be careful big guy. That is how you ended up with your daughters. 😆
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
I won't have to worry about more daughters lol ...

I just found out how to take the full article too, but I think that would upset a lot of the .com sites, lol.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

I was interrupted yesterday in the middle of my post. I had to leave unexpectedly and didn't take my notes with me.

So any way-
I noticed a lot of the other sites have ads which you do not want and I appreciate it. I have to wonder if the ads also help drive the search engines.

Does the fact that people are moving away from traditional desktop and lap top computers to mobile devices effect the activity on this site as well? I will be the very last person to get a smart phone. I know you have worked on the applications for that kind of use in the past. But I do not know where you are with it today since I don't use it.

Some of the other sites are horribly laid out. I don't know the terminology but it is stuff we haven't used in years.

Some places allow people to sign in using fb, google+ and twitter. Does that increase the sites visibility on the search engines or just those social media sites? I know you have been working with fb and twitter already.

What would happen if you expanded the site to have more subforums? A bigger section for music. Brewers, Bucks, Badgers. And then the additions below them. MLB section in Brewers. NBA or basketball in general below Bucks. Big Ten or NCAA football in Badgers.

I know you set up a new site for Brewers a year or so ago. It had some activity. I personally didn't want one more place to go and sign in. I wouldn't mind going to Brewerland if it is apart of this site the same as we go into Random Babble now to speak on other issues.

I do like your links. I see you changed it a bit in the last day or two. I actually liked it better the old way. But the way you have it set up right now provides a better description.

In my search I saw this site linked in a few places but not very many. (Not as many as Chatters.) I am not saying it is good or bad. Just an observation. I also found it interesting the site many use to belong to has made a recovery. A few of the old names are still active but they have a few new people as well. At a glance I couldn't see that they have a more people posting than we do but it is the slow time of the year.

Back to links- I like being able to find a lot of info in one place. You put up the Packer schedule and that is great but we need the roster and depth chart in an easy to reach format. I don't mean you have to set it up and monitor it. A year or two ago one of the papers had a link to a 3rd party's roster and that would work too. Most have pulled them down for the off season. What about Ourlads ? they link who is a RFA, UFA, what year and round a players was drafted. I have not been here in a long time but it looks interesting. from there you can get the opponents depth chart as well. I like to print these off before going to a game. It is nice when you can get both teams in the same format at the same place. (Once again no mobile device for me.)

Other links- more on the Packer Hall of Fame, list the radio network, I am sure we can come up with more. Have these listed separately on the side border instead of only being buried in the "links" heading a the top of the page. I know you will want to be careful with a clutter issue. But since this is a slower time on my boards you will have a little time to look and see what works best for you.

I am far from an expert. These are some things I jotted down yesterday in hopes for finding something that will bring more traffic to this site. Perhaps not a one of them is something you will like. I am fine with that.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

edit- I just went to look at the new member section and I can't find it. Kevin did you close that forum down?

Ads and traffic :
I absolutely hate the idea of profiting from my hobby. I know I can make a website and profit massively from it, but that's not what my fanhood is about. Would it help the site? I dunno to be honest. If the ads were tactfully designed and had some correlation to our user base, maybe. I suppose I could use the money to facilitate a better internet connection at home and host the site from there instead.

Mobile devices :
there is an app called TapaTalk that I've spoken to the YAF developers about Incorporated into YAF. Crazy enough, I actually have the knowledge to do that API myself. It would just take me a lot of time.

Twitter and Facebook login:
We have that feature and I have my other account using it to log into the site. I don't think that increases visibility though. I do know Twitter/Facebook posts/tweets whatever do increase visibility. Big time.

Site layout :
I have a redesign in mind, two actually, that I think will present a more unique look and feel to the site. I just haven't the knowledge of implementing it how I desire. I think our design is quite better than a lot of fan sites out there.

More subforums :
What subforums should be added? I've been against this because I don't like 50 forums all over, but that doesn't mean it can't work. I need ideas for that for me to buy into it.

BrewersHome.com :
I had wanted someone else to lead the charge on that, but they are too busy, understandably. So, do you mean have a Brewers, Bucks and Badgers section? One for each?

SEO links :
The links are for search engine optimization ... its supposed to make the site more search friendly.

Linked in :
Where do you see PC linked in, but not PH? I registered PH with dmz.org or whatever a week ago. It takes over two weeks to get approved/denied.

PF :
PF was never really dead ... the new owner pissed off some of the loyal members, that's about it. Ryan did a fantastic job of registering that site everywhere and then he had me going around from site to site obnoxiously parading this new packers forum everyone had to check out. PF is still reaping the benefit of Ryan's hardwork.

Additional links :
Roster page, Depth Chart page, and Schedule page. I would like to have a link to each of those pages on the top of the website like we have Top 10, NFL Pick'em, etc...

Ourlads :
Do they have an API that I can tap into? I'd like to have something that shows UFA, RFA, etc ... I need to pipe that into the database somehow so it's easily viewed and can be formatted pleasantly with the over all theme of the site.

Side menu:
Having a side bar menu with links is something I've also considered, similar to how we were designed with DragonFlyCMS. Basically three columns, left an right were basically 15% of the screen each, and the remainder was the primary content of the site in the middle. I liked having the blocks/modules and that is the aspect of asp.net design I am ignorant on. When I get that figured out, the new design will be up an running.

Welcome section:
I brought back the welcome section ... not sure why it was removed. I see it being used already and I think it makes the site more 'home-like' to new members.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
you are making me work too hard. I will response inside your quote to make it easier for me. using the new highliter.

Ads and traffic :
I absolutely hate the idea of profiting from my hobby. I know I can make a website and profit massively from it, but that's not what my fanhood is about. Would it help the site? I dunno to be honest. If the ads were tactfully designed and had some correlation to our user base, maybe. I suppose I could use the money to facilitate a better internet connection at home and host the site from there instead.

I know you do. I wasn't asking you to change. I just wondered if the ads somehow gave more visibility on the search engines.

Mobile devices :
there is an app called TapaTalk that I've spoken to the YAF developers about Incorporated into YAF. Crazy enough, I actually have the knowledge to do that API myself. It would just take me a lot of time.

Twitter and Facebook login:
We have that feature and I have my other account using it to log into the site. I don't think that increases visibility though. I do know Twitter/Facebook posts/tweets whatever do increase visibility. Big time.

I don't log in with FB so I didn't realize it. It is nice that mine either stays logged in or remembers my ifno when I need to sign back on.

Site layout :
I have a redesign in mind, two actually, that I think will present a more unique look and feel to the site. I just haven't the knowledge of implementing it how I desire. I think our design is quite better than a lot of fan sites out there.

Your design IS a lot better than many other places I was at.

More subforums :
What subforums should be added? I've been against this because I don't like 50 forums all over, but that doesn't mean it can't work. I need ideas for that for me to buy into it.

BrewersHome.com :
I had wanted someone else to lead the charge on that, but they are too busy, understandably. So, do you mean have a Brewers, Bucks and Badgers section? One for each?

both questions kind of go hand in hand. Yeah a separate section for each team above. My thinking is, If someone loves the Brewers, Bucks, Admirals but doesn't care about football they could still come here, perhaps they would talk in the random babble section. if there was a bigger section for movies or songs they might like to frequent those places too.

SEO links :
The links are for search engine optimization ... its supposed to make the site more search friendly.

Linked in :
Where do you see PC linked in, but not PH? I registered PH with dmz.org or whatever a week ago. It takes over two weeks to get approved/denied.

I do not remember. I will try and track down a couple of the sites that I have been to where I saw PC linked.

PF :
PF was never really dead ... the new owner pissed off some of the loyal members, that's about it. Ryan did a fantastic job of registering that site everywhere and then he had me going around from site to site obnoxiously parading this new packers forum everyone had to check out. PF is still reaping the benefit of Ryan's hardwork.

Yep but in all fairness, didn't they pay Ryan some coin for his effort?

Additional links :
Roster page, Depth Chart page, and Schedule page. I would like to have a link to each of those pages on the top of the website like we have Top 10, NFL Pick'em, etc...

Ourlads :
Do they have an API that I can tap into? I'd like to have something that shows UFA, RFA, etc ... I need to pipe that into the database somehow so it's easily viewed and can be formatted pleasantly with the over all theme of the site.

I don't know if they have API? I had to google api to see what it was. I will look and see.

Side menu:
Having a side bar menu with links is something I've also considered, similar to how we were designed with DragonFlyCMS. Basically three columns, left an right were basically 15% of the screen each, and the remainder was the primary content of the site in the middle. I liked having the blocks/modules and that is the aspect of asp.net design I am ignorant on. When I get that figured out, the new design will be up an running.

Welcome section:
I brought back the welcome section ... not sure why it was removed. I see it being used already and I think it makes the site more 'home-like' to new members.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

BTW, I am not that smart especially when it comes to computers and running forums. I am trying to talk out loud and see if I can provide you or someone else who knows what they are doing an idea or two. (I don't have to make the shot. I am happy with the assist.)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
Bah, I should have been smart and used the highlight feature too. wpr 1, Kevin 0.

Yes, Ryan received a sum of cash. He told me he wouldn't say how much, but that if he did I wouldn't believe it. Considering the first owner sold the site right away I'd have to say they overpaid and realized it quickly. I think PF is on their 3rd or 4th owner now. Ryan being 1 of course. The 3rd owner, maybe current owner, and i got into a beef over him taking graphics i custom created for PH and saying they were his. One of the reasons I don't like PF ... plus they have some really bias moderators there. One guy banned me just because he didn't like me. Another one tried deleting my account because he didn't like me. I spoke to owner directly and he sided with the moderator, but unbanned me and assured me my account would remain. I don't post there because I never know if I'll come off like a dick an get banned from their power tripping mod crew.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
you had more to say than I did. The way you did it worked out better. Unless you wanted to play with the toy.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

In the welcome section lest start a new thread for each new member. Have two or three people (or more) specifically tell them we are glad to welcome them as are newest member. Make a simple comment or two.

I like it when people do this. It puts a smile on my face.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
this is s little frustrating but is not your fault-

when someone comes back and edits a post of theirs we get an email notice. Nice.
What we don't know is what was changed. maybe they just tweaked their spelling. maybe they added a whole new line or two. The short posts or newer ones are easier to find the changes. but if it is a week old or a dissertation it is difficult indeed.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.