wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
newbies are always a pain in every field. I donated blood platelets today. Last Nov I had a guy going solo. I was not able to donate because he messed up on the needle stick. Got him again today. I sure remembered him but he didn't remember me until he looked at the chart. He messed up again today but not as badly. The supervisor was able to correct it.

As far as the labels go, I can understand why the kid checked. They have to justify and document everything. If the neighbor said they bought Van Heusen that are normally around $25 at Penneys that is one thing. If he says they were all Jos A Banks' $80 ones the adjuster needs some kind of proof. They actually will accept sales slips from your credit card. Since your neighbor didn't supply it the kid went the extra mile and looked through the rubble. Not everyone would do that.

I have dealt with restoration contractors a lot of the years. They pretty much know the market.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
11 years ago

newbies are always a pain in every field. I donated blood platelets today. Last Nov I had a guy going solo. I was not able to donate because he messed up on the needle stick. Got him again today. I sure remembered him but he didn't remember me until he looked at the chart. He messed up again today but not as badly. The supervisor was able to correct it.

As far as the labels go, I can understand why the kid checked. They have to justify and document everything. If the neighbor said they bought Van Heusen that are normally around $25 at Penneys that is one thing. If he says they were all Jos A Banks' $80 ones the adjuster needs some kind of proof. They actually will accept sales slips from your credit card. Since your neighbor didn't supply it the kid went the extra mile and looked through the rubble. Not everyone would do that.

I have dealt with restoration contractors a lot of the years. They pretty much know the market.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

What was so cool about it was that I was standing there watching this all unfold while Tony was getting progressively pissed off at this snot-nose rummaging through his shit. I was standing next to the contractor, and he whispered to me that the kid was a FNG and that whatever number he ultimately came up with would be meaningless, that this was his first job, and that the kid's boss had already told him (the contractor) to get his number together ( I really sensed he meant INCLUDING the personal property- a definite synergistic working relationship) and they would work from that (as in, very trusted) That seems to be what happened as an end-result.

You hit it on the head as far as going through the rubble. The contractor ALSO told me that the adjusters get cured from that sifting after they do it a few times. As he said, it is profoundly discouraging and tedious.

My recollection is that homeowners insurance is not profitable/VERY marginally profitable for the insurance companies. I actually got licensed to sell it here in PA as I had to, because I was the settlement agent for our (read-wife's 😆 ) manufactured housing loan business, and a large percentage of the time joe-blow-buyer would show up at the settlement table without insurance, in spite of being told we could not settle without it, so I had to write it, then and there. To this day I do not know how I passed those exams, I was NOT INTO IT. That was a mental/motivational chore for me. The classes were the only time I can remember trying to learn new material that I fell asleep in.

What do you think of the C&Z guy telling me Travelers is the best for insurance? He mentioned the actual policy, but I had this sense he was speaking of the adjusters. If the latter is true, I wonder if he was speaking personal experience vs. nationally.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
When I was that snot nosed kid I wrote for the Travelers. We had them in our office for a few years before they decided a small town was not where they wanted to be any longer. (They had been in the agency for more than 50 years at that time.) What happened is the people in the ivory tower decided they would do much better in the rapidly growing suburban areas than in the more stable places. They closed down more than half of their offices and consolidated into a handful. They took an absolute pounding. Claims exploded. Consumers left by the droves.. Staff turnover was everywhere. They eventually bought out another company's personal lines book to replace the one they pissed away.

Their policy is fine these days. I run in to them every once in a while and they don't have the greatest prices around here.

Claims service is variable. Not only does it depend on which state they are in. (Every state had some bass monkey squeezing down hard on everyone below him/her. Some are more lenient than others.) It also depends on the adjuster. As you noticed this kid is scared to death to make a mistake.

My Traveler's claim story is this one. Now this is nearly 30 years ago. As they were pulling out of our office my secretary had a loss. Kids got into her car (it was unlocked.) and used a pry bar to open the glove box. Since it was plastic it busted. The repair shop said she needed a "new" dash. There was one at a local junk yard that they could get. It would cost (I forget the exact amount. It wasn't much.) $150. Travelers said no. the car had some age and they didn't want to but a "new" dash in. A shop nearly an hour away (They were thinking like a big city company) could weld the plastic on the dash/ glove box and it would be just as good. It would only cost $85. Of course they would not pay for her time driving there and back and her waiting for the work to be completed. They would only give her the $85 if she didn't want to make the trip. I bucked my complaint all the way up. Since I had almost no policies with them any more no one cared. It didn't matter what we had done for them in the past.

That is the problem with the biggest companies these days. They have lost touch with most of their consumers.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
11 years ago
This is such an interesting discussion!

I asked my wife an hour ago who we had our homeowners insurance with. She was NOT privy to my talk with C&Z. I never bothered to mention it.

She said, "Travelers". I asked her why. She said that DS and T (our local agents) placed us with them, as they are the "best".

She has them under standing orders to place us with the best insurance co's in the event of a claim. This is all news to me.

My vehicles are under "Farmers" Hers are not. Hers are under what is called, "National Penn" Since I do our banking and know how anal my wife is about that, I now see just how micro-managed our insurance situation is by her. e.g.- I had a snow-plow business, paid massive premiums, sold it, but get some sort of discount (still) because my troops didn't fuck anything up.

DS and T do know me by my first name when I call. They are a mountain range, tiny town, and a pain in my ass to get to these days. I often wondered why we stuck with them and they stuck with us, after we sold our business, and such. My wife is so very on this, lol I did not know.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
You should consider placing your cars with the same company as the house. Here in IL many of the companies are not taking new home insurance with the cars too. They are jacking the prices on mono line home insurance.

The discounts are typically about 20%.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
11 years ago

You should consider placing your cars with the same company as the house. Here in IL many of the companies are not taking new home insurance with the cars too. They are jacking the prices on mono line home insurance.

The discounts are typically about 20%.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Oh hell, I know that! Thats insurance 101!

This mis-mash we have going on is an apparently sophisticated way of maximizing the discounts accrued through previous business dealings and histories with the various insurance co.s, coupled with my whack-wife wanting full-tort on certain areas of insurable interest. I would recommend it to nobody. I would, however, recommend that anyone with a small business get the various insurances required through an independent agency such as you and the one we have. I would definitely "bundle" as Joe blow Harry homeowner, without a doubt.

Fan Shout
dhazer (1m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.