PackerTraxx
11 years ago
S

Signed to the practice squad were Wide Diondre Borel, tight end Brandon Bostick, quarterback B.J. Coleman, tackle Andrew Datko, defensive end Lawrence Guy, offensive lineman Chris Scott, running back Marc Tyler and guard Greg Van Roten.

This looks like a pretty decent practice squad for us. I'm glad to see Coleman and Datko on the squad. Borel, Bostick and Tyler look like some insurance. Tyler doesn't have much speed but he ran tough, enough that he could help in a pinch. Bostick is similar but that one surprised me. Still hoping Guy will develop. There was a good article I read on Van Roten so maybe he can develop for the future. Anyone know if he can play center?Don't know much about Scott except he's big.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
nerdmann
11 years ago
Tyler's gonna drop some weight and see if he can add speed. If he can't I say they bulk him back up and make him a FB. I think he could challenge Kuhn in that capacity.

Bostic reminds me of Spencer Havner.

I'd like to see what Datko can do once he starts getting stronger. Be nice to have two backup swing tackles. It's an area of need.

And as for Coleman, I think we could really get something for him in a year or two. He's got the raw materials and MM's staff is gonna show him how to use it. Sky's the limit, really.

A guy like Graham Harrell might get a shot to start at some point. But he's probably gonna be a career backup. But Coleman's got potential to be the man somewhere.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
11 years ago
QB Coleman ~ TON of VERY RAW potential. Has a lot of little things to work on, but a year or two of QB school and the Packers MIGHT have something very good if they're able to keep him that long.

RB Marc Tyler ~ I think he's a good receiver out of the back field but I just didn't see the spark or potential. Maybe if he loses some weight (like someone said he's trying to do) he might show more. (I kinda wanted Tauren Poole from the Panthers, who already have a good group of RBs, also Coleman and Poole played together before Coleman transferred)

WR Borel ~ Borel has a quick twitch just like Driver/Cobb, with a little time and space can make something happen. But needs to catch and hang on to the ball... also less east/west on punt returns (IMO).

TE Bostick ~ I didn't see the practices but I've read he had a pretty good camp as an UDFA WR trying to become an NFL TE.

OT Datko ~ He showed some potential, and could become an NFL OT.

OG Greg Van Roten ~ Sounded like he did well in the pass rush drill and improved well over his time. Not sure if he can play OT or C though.

OL Chris Scott ~ I'm a bit disappointed, Scott comes from the Steelers which I don't think has had the best OL or OTs. I thought Scott had some potential coming out in the draft best I guess he hasn't be able to get it out yet. But he's from the Tennessee Volunteers (so were Scott Wells and Chad Clifton (also I think QB Coleman played with Scott before Scott went pro/Coleman transferred)

DE Guy ~ Based on college video, I think he's got some potential, seemed to be able to get attack the play. But struggled with double teams and when they ran it right at him. I really didn't see much from him this preseason, which is disappointing because I thought he'd break out. I think he's better than other PS DL guys we've had in the past, but I don't know if he'll be able to break out or not.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
Too heavy on offense.
Normally I like having a WR in the group just in case. This year with 6 on the roster I don't think it is necessary.
If Quarless comes back healthy Bostick could be gone if they like someone else more.
As I said many times (mainly to Dakota.) I expected Datko to end up on the PS.
I hoped they would keep Tyler and give him a chance to develop.
Last chance for Guy.
Even with the current OLmen Scott is on the bubble.
Don't have much of an opinion one way or the other on Van Roten. I think the coaching staff would like to get a little more of a look at him and see if he can work his way onto the roster.
Coleman of course is necessary.

All in all if Uncle Teddy sees someone else on the waiver wire he will pull the trigger and grab him.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
11 years ago
WPR - the PS is heavy on O because the 53-man roster is heavy on D.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

WPR - the PS is heavy on O because the 53-man roster is heavy on D.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

you are prob correct Sir. I was thinking about D needs and it didn't really seem like they needed someone on the PS "just in case" but I failed to mentally make that distinction.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
Nerd, those are interesting thoughts on Tyler, drop weight, if that doesn't work, then add weight. As I said, I like his toughness so if either one works that would be a good thing. Being the son of an NFL player he seems to understand what it takes to make it in the league. I think Coleman and Dakto have a high ceiling and it will be interesting to watch their development.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Pack93z
11 years ago

OL Chris Scott ~ I'm a bit disappointed, Scott comes from the Steelers which I don't think has had the best OL or OTs. I thought Scott had some potential coming out in the draft best I guess he hasn't be able to get it out yet. But he's from the Tennessee Volunteers (so were Scott Wells and Chad Clifton (also I think QB Coleman played with Scott before Scott went pro/Coleman transferred)

Originally Posted by: beast 

More on Scott.  

After spending his first two NFL seasons with the Steelers, the 6-foot-5, 332-pound offensive lineman arrived at Austin Straubel Airport at 4 p.m. on Sunday to begin the next stage of his career on the Green Bay Packers’ practice squad.

A fifth-round pick (151st overall) in 2010, Scott was the only player the Packers signed to their practice squad who didn’t spend training camp in Green Bay, joining quarterback B.J. Coleman, running back Marc Tyler, wide receiver Diondre Borel, tight end Brandon Bostick, defensive lineman Lawrence Guy and offensive linemen Greg Van Roten and Andrew Datko.

Scott earned the nod after impressing coach Mike McCarthy and the rest of the player personnel department in what turned out to be his final game with the Steelers against Carolina last Thursday.

“It was probably his best performance of the preseason, just in my opinion in viewing the tape with the personnel department Saturday,” McCarthy said. “He’s definitely a young man. He spent three years in Pittsburgh and we feel it was important to bring him in and take a look at him. Physically, there’s a lot to like. I thought he played very well in that game and I’m excited he’s here.”

A three-year starter at the University of Tennessee, the 25-year-old Scott has played all over the offensive line with both the Volunteers and in Pittsburgh, but said he took all of his snaps at left guard with the scout team Monday.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (26m) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (1h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (15h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (22h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (23h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (23h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.