TheKanataThrilla
11 years ago

I was just going to add that to my list.. Just watched it again this weekend on AMC. Such a classic movie!

Originally Posted by: Formo 

One of the few movies which may be better than the book, which is quite amazing given it is one hell of a book as well.

Packers_Finland
11 years ago

The Other Guys is easily one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Second best comedy of the 2000s. Right after Pineapple Express.

Those movies are not for everyone though. You need a particular sense of humor.
This is a placeholder
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
12 Angry Men
Apollo 13
Casablanca
Glory
Good Night, and Good Luck
The Guns of Navarone
High Noon
Key Largo
The King’s Speech
The Maltese Falcon
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
North by Northwest
The Philadelphia Story
The Quiet Man
Rear Window
Sergeant York
Schindler's List
Some Like It Hot
To Kill a Mockingbird
Zulu

I find it ironic that Zero came up with this thread when he did. I had been thinking of starting something like this a few weeks ago but just didn’t have the time.

I decided to give a list of 20 movies. Cutting them down to 20 was pretty difficult. I did not want to include any of the ones that were on someone else’s list. But I did. They are just too good to be left off.

I left off all the cartoon movies although I will say An American tail is my favorite because I saw that movie with my then 3 year old daughter. My wife had just given birth to our son and was in the hospital. (For a week.) My daughter was staying with my parents. I came and got her for some of that special time together. We went out to eat and to An American tail. She fell asleep about half way through the movie and I sat there and held her for the rest of the show. I call her or email her whenever it comes on.

I tried to limit the movies that were of a similar type IE: Westerns. It wasn’t easy. I intended to have only one movie for an actor but it wasn’t possible. While there are several WW II movies they deal with different aspects of the war. The last movie that I cut was Mutiny on the Bounty. The Quiet Man may not be my favorite John Wayne movie but I left out his WW II and Westerns on purpose and I like that the movie is a little less typical of a setting for him.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
another list of movies I like. In no particular order.

Lawrence of Arabia
The Bridge on the River Kwai,
Ben-Hur
Mutiny on the Bounty
The Right Stuff
Spartacus
The Terminator
The Great Escape
The Longest Day
Blood Alley
In Harm's Way
Donovan's Reef
Big Jake
Captain Blood
The Pride of the Yankees
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
Friendly Persuasion
Meet John Doe
His Girl Friday
Mr Roberts
Captains Courageous
Adam's Rib
Call Northside 777
The African Queen
Field of Dreams
The Prisoner of Zenda
The Hound of the Baskervilles (with Nigel Bruce and Basil Rathbone actually all their Sherlock Holmes movies are good.)
Charade
The Hunt for Red October
A Bridge Too Far
Highlander
Finding Forrester
Murder on the Orient Express
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Secondhand Lions
The Four Feathers the 1939 version.
Ransom ( both versions)
Invictus
Road to Perdition
Guarding Tess
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
So, that took me what 2 minutes to find this thread? WPR? 🙂
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

So, that took me what 2 minutes to find this thread? WPR? :)

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

thanks Kevin. I looked at the last 35 pages of the random site without finding it. Went to the search mode and got an error message in search 3 times.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
Just watched Good Will Hunting for the first time. I have been wanting to see it for a very long time just never got around to it.

It is now my favorite film. I love the way Damon portrays his character. I guess he reminds me a little of my nephew. Very very VERY bright but stupid because he is so young and has no experience at all. That isn't so bad but he doesn't want anyone to teach him anything because he already knows it all. And he will act like he is listening to what you tell him only to summarily dismiss it once he walks away. He just tells you what he thinks you want to hear him say.

This is Robin Williams be movie. Typically I don't care for his departure from comedy based films. (Dead Poets Society and One Hour Photo)

Best line in the movie was Affleck's line when he says,

Every day I come by your house and I pick you up. And we go out. We have a few drinks, and a few laughs, and it's great. But you know what the best part of my day is? For about ten seconds, from when I pull up to the curb and when I get to your door, 'cause I think, maybe I'll get up there and I'll knock on the door and you won't be there. No goodbye. No see you later. No nothing. You just left. I don't know much, but I know that.

most amazing part is that Affleck and Damon wrote the story. I know I had read it or heard it before but I forgot it long ago. I also realize they got a little direction from others along the way but it is amazing at 23 and 25 that could put enough depth into Will Hunting and had Sean Maguire explain to him how little he really knew about life. At their ages, they themselves were just learning. Granted some of the lines were adlibed.

I think I will watch it again this week.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
Quotes from Men of Honor that I like:

The Navy Diver is not a fighting man, he is a salvage expert. If it is lost underwater, he finds it. If it's sunk, he brings it up. If it's in the way, he moves it. If he's lucky, he will die young, 200 feet beneath the waves, for that is the closest he'll ever get to being a hero.

My name is Master Chief Billy Sunday. There was a preacher by the same name who cleaned up Chicago of all the whoring spics, drunken wops and motherfucking niggers that was making that place unfit for decent white folks to live. The only difference between me and that old preacher is that he worked for God, and I *am* God!

Carl Brashear: Forgive me sir, but to me, the Navy isn't a business. It's an organization of people who represent the finest aspects of our nation. We have many traditions. In my career, I have encountered most of them. Some are good, some not so good. I would, however not be here today were it not for our greatest tradition of all.
Captain Hanks: And what would that be, Chief Brashear?"
Carl Brashear: " Honor, sir"

Goddammit Cookie, move your ass, I want my TWELVE!

Nine! The Navy Diver is not a fighting man, he is a salvage expert. Ten! If it is lost underwater, he finds it. If it's sunk, he brings it up. If it's in the way, he moves it. Eleven! If he's lucky, he will die young, 200 feet beneath the waves, for that is the closest he'll ever get to being a hero. Hell, I don't know why anybody would want to be a Navy Diver. Now you report to this line, Cookie!

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
11 years ago

Just watched Good Will Hunting for the first time. I have been wanting to see it for a very long time just never got around to it.

It is now my favorite film. I love the way Damon portrays his character. I guess he reminds me a little of my nephew. Very very VERY bright but stupid because he is so young and has no experience at all. That isn't so bad but he doesn't want anyone to teach him anything because he already knows it all. And he will act like he is listening to what you tell him only to summarily dismiss it once he walks away. He just tells you what he thinks you want to hear him say.

This is Robin Williams be movie. Typically I don't care for his departure from comedy based films. (Dead Poets Society and One Hour Photo)

Best line in the movie was Affleck's line when he says,

most amazing part is that Affleck and Damon wrote the story. I know I had read it or heard it before but I forgot it long ago. I also realize they got a little direction from others along the way but it is amazing at 23 and 25 that could put enough depth into Will Hunting and had Sean Maguire explain to him how little he really knew about life. At their ages, they themselves were just learning. Granted some of the lines were adlibed.

I think I will watch it again this week.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Ben Affleck has done an amazing job resurrecting his career the last couple of years. I watched Argo yesterday morning. So much respect for that man with everything he has done.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
To Have and Have Not

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow.

Slim (Lauren Bacall ) wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.