DakotaT
12 years ago

what the hell are you talking about?

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I've pissed just about everybody off with these comments over the years. Nobody wants to be responsible for the past.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

I've pissed just about everybody off with these comments over the years. Nobody wants to be responsible for the past.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

It is off topic is what I meant. đź‘…

It doesn't piss me off. I am willing to take responsibility for the the past. MY past. Not someone else's actions just mine. I can acknowledge an injustice that occurred in the past and help to resolve it and still not be responsible for it.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
12 years ago

It is off topic is what I meant. đź‘…

It doesn't piss me off. I am willing to take responsibility for the the past. MY past. Not someone else's actions just mine. I can acknowledge an injustice that occurred in the past and help to resolve it and still not be responsible for it.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

See the actions of my ancestors do bother me. When I use to play rec bball, the native boys would call me white boy with the Nword connotation. They hated my guts without even knowing me. Of course my natural charm, would always win them over [grin1] but their hatred bothered me - so I read some books other than what I was taught in a white man's school. I wasn't too impressed with my ancestors anymore. They feel we owe them more then we can ever repay - and I'm in no position to disagree.

Are the descendents of the ill gotten wealth to pay for the sins of evil men? It's a great debate to have but people need to keep an open mind.

UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago

Shouldn't you really call me a sustainer of life? Without my beekeeping bretheren, you all cease to exist. I like that, not only am I a righteous republican jobs provider - I am a sustainer of life on this planet.

Actually, flies pollinate more than bees, but everyone hates flies so they never get any credit.

My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Formo
12 years ago

See the actions of my ancestors do bother me. When I use to play rec bball, the native boys would call me white boy with the Nword connotation. They hated my guts without even knowing me. Of course my natural charm, would always win them over [grin1] but their hatred bothered me - so I read some books other than what I was taught in a white man's school. I wasn't too impressed with my ancestors anymore. They feel we owe them more then we can ever repay - and I'm in no position to disagree.

Are the descendents of the ill gotten wealth to pay for the sins of evil men? It's a great debate to have but people need to keep an open mind.

Holy crap.. Are you de-railing a de-rail?!

Good thing that you know what your ancestors did and feel bad for it. Good for you. My ancestors did none of the sort.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Pack93z
12 years ago
My mental image of:

The strenuous life of the bee milker...

UserPostedImage
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

My mental image of:

The strenuous life of the bee milker...

UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

They say camera adds 10 pounds ... ?
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Mom get's the Michigan Country Lines magazine. This article on honey bees was in the March/April issue .

From Dakota's point of view I am sure he will think it is a little simplistic.

In keeping with Zero's request I cut some of the article out.

Honey bees have existed for millions of years and supplied honey for the human race since the Stone Age, but there is great concern that their benefits to the world will be diminished, if not lost. However, with a little help from homeowners and other concerned citizens there is hope for their future—and ours.
Once thought to be native to South Asia and the South East Asia subregion, recent studies indicate honey bees may also be native to Africa and probably all continents except North America. Cave drawings also indicate that early humans recognized the value of honey.

As humans learned to domesticate honey bees the art of beekeeping grew, and today they also provide us with beeswax, propolis (a bee glue used in cosmetics and health supplements) and pollination services.

Though several species exist, only two have been domesticated (the Egyptians were among the first to do so), and only one (Apis mellifera) is used extensively for domestic honey production and pollination.

An average well-managed domestic hive will hold 50,000 bees (sometimes as high as 80,000) in mid-summer. Bees from one hive can gather up to 80 pounds of pollen, and produce well over 100 pounds of honey annually.

Honey bees generally visit flowers to collect pollen, their source of protein, and in the process are responsible for about 80 percent of all insect pollination. This service is valued in the billions of dollars, and without it many commercial and home-grown food crops would be greatly reduced.

In 2007, honey bees made the news because a disturbing number (30 to 70 percent) of North American European hives collapsed. This sudden, unprecedented decline was named colony collapse disorder (CCD). Researchers have not found a specific cause, but many scientists suspect a combination of factors rather than a single pathogen or poison. This may include loss of habitat, changes in agricultural practices, new viruses and pathogens, extreme weather during the past decade which resulted in impaired protein (pollen) production, and the possible synergistic effects of any combination of these factors.

A decline in beekeeping is another contributing factor to the population decline that has been taking place since the 1950s,.

“For many years the cause of decline was economic in nature and tied to the availability of other sweeteners on the market,”...caused many people to stop using honey as a home sweetener.

“With relatively cheap sweetener prices, we no longer consume much honey on a per-person basis—less than 2 pounds per year,” he said. “On the other hand, we consume more than 100 pounds of refined sugars and HFCS per person and some estimates are much higher than that.

“This caused honey prices for many years to stay so low as to make it difficult to make a living and many commercial beekeepers gave up their operations,” he adds.

Compounding that problem are the health issues of honey bees. “In the last 20 years we have had two new parasitic mites come into the country, and the varroa mite vectors as many as 17 to 20 different viruses that affect honey bee health,” he continues. This has increased the cost of keeping bees alive, resulting in additional beekeepers giving up this important work for jobs in other fields.

“Without a corresponding rise in pollinating fees over the past 15 years or so, many of the larger beekeepers that are still in existence would likely have gone out of business as well,” Tucker says.

... homeowners can still help protect these amazing and economically important creatures.

“The main thing homeowners can do is provide plantings of beneficial flowers that bloom during the full season to provide nectar for honey bees and all native pollinators.”

“The second thing is to educate the public to accept a lower level of perfection in their yards and gardens and use less herbicides and pesticides that can affect pollinators,” he continues. “It is not a good thing to treat our lawns to remove clovers and even dandelions that provide nectar to bees. While it makes for a less perfect looking lawn, it is more natural and beneficial to the bees.”

According to Tucker, white clovers and native wild flowers, trees and shrubs that provide lots of pollen and nectar are wonderful additions to yards and landscapes. Shrubs such as spirea, currents, blackberries, blueberries and even honeysuckle are great choices. Beneficial trees include all fruit-producing and ornamental varieties such as Bradford pears and black locusts.

So, what’s the course of action if a swarm of honey bees show up on its own? Because they can pose a threat to people and animals, and because the swarm may be the more aggressive strain of Africanized honey bees, Tucker suggests calling a local beekeeper to have them removed.

I suppose I do as well as many others to provide a place for bees to gather. We have a our yard overrun with dandelions in the past. Not so much now as I do treat the yard. Even so we still have white clover. In addition I have a blackberry patch that is growing pretty big. A honeysuckle bush. A crab apple tree that I always wait as long as I can to trim. Certainly after the blossoms a off. A few cherry blossom bushes. And a couple of mulberry trees.

I love to go lay under the crab apple tree when the blossoms are there and listen to the tree "hum". Hundreds of bees swarm all over it. Not all of them are honey bees.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
11 years ago

Ack!

I'm trying to think of my favorite Iowa product. It isn't corn syrup or any corn product.

Maybe UI cheerleaders.

Maybe Amanas-made Landjaeger.

Or perhaps a nice and juicy pork tenderloin sandwich.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

When I was a kid, I was in love with that girl from Iowa from the Ice Castles movie. Yeah I know, slim chance she's actually from Iowa but her character was from Iowa.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
11 years ago
I loved Ice Castles as a kid. I tried watching it a couple years ago and was dismayed to find out that it hasn't aged well at all. Even worse, it's not available on DVD (or wasn't then anyway). You have to watch it on VHS. That made me strangely sad.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.