Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Stevetarded  
#31 Posted : Saturday, December 24, 2011 6:31:54 PM(UTC)
Stevetarded

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 63

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
Is it?

The Left side is where you put your better blocker. Like it or not, the O is built around the QB. His health is your #1 concern long-term.

Most QBs are right-handed. Just how it is. If a guy is coming from his right side, he can see it and take appropriate measures. If a guy is coming from his left side, especially around the Left Tackle, he may be blindsided.

I don't have the stats for it, but I can almost guarantee you that when a QB gets injured in a sack, it's more likely that he got injured from his Left side and not the Right.

Even more of a guarantee, when a QB fumbles it's more than likely from the Left side as well. If you know you're gonna get hit, you protect the ball. That's what you're trained to do.

Yes it's stupid. Just because most teams prefer to have their better blocker at LT doesn't mean that's always that case either. Look at the Packers line. Bulaga/Sitton are a hell of a lot better than Clifton/Lang. It's perfectly reasonable to think that a player at RT was a better player in a given season than another player at LT.

Even assuming the left side is more important the difference really to me is not that significant (especially at the G position), a crappy RT can destroy an offense pretty much as easily as a crappy LT (see Alan Barbre).

I don't have a problem really if the best players during a season are indeed both left side players but I think it's stupid that a player on the right side is automatically dismissed and it is assumed any left side player was better. Like Sitton last year he won awards for being one of the best offensive lineman in all of football and I don't think he got anywhere near an all-pro vote. A player who sat out half the season made 1st team all-pro.

Message modified by user Saturday, December 24, 2011 6:43:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

blank
Offline zombieslayer  
#32 Posted : Sunday, December 25, 2011 2:46:03 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: Stevetarded Go to Quoted Post
Yes it's stupid. Just because most teams prefer to have their better blocker at LT doesn't mean that's always that case either. Look at the Packers line. Bulaga/Sitton are a hell of a lot better than Clifton/Lang. It's perfectly reasonable to think that a player at RT was a better player in a given season than another player at LT.

Even assuming the left side is more important the difference really to me is not that significant (especially at the G position), a crappy RT can destroy an offense pretty much as easily as a crappy LT (see Alan Barbre).

I don't have a problem really if the best players during a season are indeed both left side players but I think it's stupid that a player on the right side is automatically dismissed and it is assumed any left side player was better. Like Sitton last year he won awards for being one of the best offensive lineman in all of football and I don't think he got anywhere near an all-pro vote. A player who sat out half the season made 1st team all-pro.

You still didn't address my 2 points though:
1) Sacks from the Left side are more likely to lead in QB injury (an assumption, I have no stats for this),
2) Sacks from the Left side are more likely to lead to fumbles (also an assumption, but from watching lots of football from 1976 to 2011, there's a lot of experience in my noggin).

Both points are why both coaches and voters have prejudices against the Right side.

I'm not saying it isn't stupid. I'm just explaining "why" it is what it is.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline wpr  
#33 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:37:19 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,027
Applause Received: 1,467

when you dig out an ancient thread that is long since dead you should indicate it somehow. It is very confusing.

UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#34 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:56:08 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,953
Applause Received: 2,183

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
when you dig out an ancient thread that is long since dead you should indicate it somehow. It is very confusing.

lol it's really quite random. I check the users to see what their seeing and this page had 9 guests on it. Clicked it. Rourke? Rourke who!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 1/30/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#35 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:00:25 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,027
Applause Received: 1,467

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
lol it's really quite random. I check the users to see what their seeing and this page had 9 guests on it. Clicked it. Rourke? Rourke who!!

I was just messing with you.

UserPostedImage

Rss Feed