Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
6 Pages«<3456>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Formo  
#61 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 2:04:40 PM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: porky88 Go to Quoted Post
You guys have put the emphasis on offense. In today's culture, everything is offense, offense, and more offense. In actuality, defense plays a role too. Packer fans should know that because their last two postseason losses occurred because of plays made on defense.


We put emphasis on the offense because the league and it's rules heavily favors the offense. This is why I want the rule's to change.

That being said, I'll survive keeping them as is. I like college ball better anyway.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Online wpr  
#62 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 2:18:44 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,841
Applause Received: 1,370

Originally Posted by: Formo Go to Quoted Post
I like college ball better anyway.



DUH. It goes without saying. After all you ARE a Vikings fan.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline Pack93z  
#63 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 4:39:09 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,027

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
DUH. It goes without saying. After all you ARE a Vikings fan.



Have you seen the Gophers play football? LOL.. only those a gluten for punishment would resort to the Gophers for their football. :)
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Online wpr  
#64 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 4:41:41 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,841
Applause Received: 1,370

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post




Have you seen the Gophers play football? LOL.. only those a gluten for punishment would resort to the Gophers for their football. :)



Yep I have. Just being a smart donkey.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline mi_keys  
#65 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 6:29:13 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 204
Applause Received: 345

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel Go to Quoted Post
If talking to yourself is a sign of impending insanity, then what is quoting yourself a sign of? Duh!


In my case, probably the same.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline Greg C.  
#66 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2011 4:53:07 AM(UTC)
Greg C.

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 8/9/2008(UTC)
Location: Marquette, Michigan

Applause Received: 48

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I like the argument that both teams had an opportunity for four quarters, therefore don't NEED to have their offense touch the ball once in over time. I think if the rules were to say that both teams offense would get the ball, we'd see less urgency closing out games, thus less exciting finishes.

I'm against changing the rules in overtime. I love an exciting finish and I strongly feel that there will be a sense of urgency missing if the teams both know they'll get the ball in over time.


So maybe the unfairness of the coin toss causes teams to play with more urgency at the end of a game. It's an interesting idea, but I don't buy it. Even if true, they are certainly going to play with urgency during the overtime period. In college, both teams get the ball in overtime, and there seems to be no shortage of urgency. So whatever urgency you might lose at the end of regulation is gained in overtime.

Really what it comes down to is that a lot of us think it's cheap when a team wins the coin toss, picks up a few first downs, and wins the game with a field goal.
blank
Online wpr  
#67 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:14:18 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,841
Applause Received: 1,370

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I decided the genesis was the Thanksgiving Day game between Chicago and Detroit Nov 27, 1980. Detroit (7-5) was the favored over Chicago (4-8). The Lions kind of bumbled along most of the game and never put away the Bears. That made for a pretty boring game. Yet with no time left on the clock the Bears scored to tie the game. They then took the kick 95 yards to win in OT. Even though I am for the most part anti Bears, I and everyone in the room, had to admit that was one heck of a fun game to watch.

Now people try and tell me that it was not fair that Detroit did not get yet another chance to win the game. I don't feel the same way. Some have even advocated doing away with the kick off all together and want to set the ball on the 20 yard line instead. I hope it never happens.



I am still waiting to hear why my post several days ago on page 3 is wrong. By your combined silence I assume you all agree with me. Rolling On The Floor Laughing
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline Formo  
#68 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:58:43 PM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I am still waiting to hear why my post several days ago on page 3 is wrong. By your combined silence I assume you all agree with me. Rolling On The Floor Laughing


Picking ONE game out of how many to prove your point doesn't make it valid/invalid.

Greg C. nailed it on the head.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Online wpr  
#69 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:08:50 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,841
Applause Received: 1,370

Originally Posted by: Formo Go to Quoted Post
Picking ONE game out of how many to prove your point doesn't make it valid/invalid.

Greg C. nailed it on the head.



sure it does. It may be only one game but it could happen in any OT game. And it was perhaps the best finish to an OT game (at least on Thanksgiving) ever.

But given the sissy way of lining the ball up at the 20 or sharing the ball concept denies the opportunity from ever happening again.
You are trying to deny my rights. Where is the ACLU when you need them? Or the NAACP or the SPCA or one of those darn groups? Laugh
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline Formo  
#70 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:24:46 PM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
sure it does. It may be only one game but it could happen in any OT game. And it was perhaps the best finish to an OT game (at least on Thanksgiving) ever.

But given the sissy way of lining the ball up at the 20 or sharing the ball concept denies the opportunity from ever happening again.
You are trying to deny my rights. Where is the ACLU when you need them? Or the NAACP or the SPCA or one of those darn groups? Laugh


To each their own, I guess.

While that game MAY have been an awesome OT.. I think the anxiety being a college OT game is much more relevant, thus making it more exciting. I use the OT game PSU at Minnesota that ended on a phantom PI call.. Never was I more wound up over an OT in any sport than I was at that game. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I was at the game, but even the OT games the Vikings were in during the 98 and 09 NFC Championship games I wasn't as wound up.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Greg C.  
#71 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:27:15 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 8/9/2008(UTC)
Location: Marquette, Michigan

Applause Received: 48

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I am still waiting to hear why my post several days ago on page 3 is wrong. By your combined silence I assume you all agree with me. Rolling On The Floor Laughing


Silence does not mean that everyone agrees with you. Sometimes it just means that people forgot to write about it. I remember that game. It was an awesome finish. It was also highly exceptional. It did not feel cheap because returning a kickoff for a TD is a hard thing to do. Picking up a few first downs and kicking a field goal is not that hard to do, especially after 60 minutes of play when the defenses are often gassed.
blank
Online wpr  
#72 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:29:36 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,841
Applause Received: 1,370

For the sake of "fairness" let's just require teams to play everyone on the roster for at least 1 quarter.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Online wpr  
#73 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:31:13 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,841
Applause Received: 1,370

Originally Posted by: Greg C. Go to Quoted Post
Silence does not mean that everyone agrees with you. Sometimes it just means that people forgot to write about it.



Greg I know that. Just rattling a few chains.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#74 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:57:44 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Location: Germany

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

My chains are too heavy to rattle. They clank.
UserPostedImage
Online wpr  
#75 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:25:31 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,841
Applause Received: 1,370

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel Go to Quoted Post
My chains are too heavy to rattle. They clank.


that works too.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
6 Pages«<3456>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Recent Topics
12m / Random Babble / wpr

25m / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere

5h / Random Babble / dfosterf

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

6h / Welcome to our Community! / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / luigis

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

27-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker

27-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

27-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.