macbob
13 years ago

Rushing success doesn't equal rushing either.

Of course he was talking about success at an elite level. Which has proven to be a non factor. Specially if you look at recent trends.

Yes it was important 20 years ago. It isn't 20 years ago now though.

Were there any other changes in the Bronco's after they got Davis? If he was the only factor that changed including luck, who opponents are and they didn't change one bit, then people can say he was the reason they went from a super bowl team to a super bowl winning team. Otherwise it could easily be dismissed as coincidence. Statistically speaking.

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

Dexter--Zombie IS saying all running is irrelevant (even though he subsequently said he wasn't)

OR

Zombie is saying running IS relevant, but it's SUCCESSFUL running (e.g., running success) that is irrelevant.

Despite other comments in this thread, Zombie's not a COMPLETE moron :icon_smile: (smiley face = just kidding), so it can't be #2.

So, contrary to later disclaimers, I'm back to #1.
UserPostedImage
vikesrule
13 years ago

...I think people enjoy fvcking with you just as much as me..

"DakotaT" wrote:

While screwing with Z2C has provided much pleasure and entertainment over the past 5 years or so,
when you showed up, it brought messin' with a cheesehead to a whole new level.

I mean, that in your case, there is such an unending amount of material to work with.
A dufus of your caliber is pretty much a once in a generation type thing.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Waiting to hear back to see if I'm approved for a car loan and went through some posts.

I think what's being said is that it's better to have an elite QB, rather than elite RB. Which is no secret. No one's ever said you NEED to have an elite RB to win a Super Bowl, at least, not in what I've read. A running game is needed, yes. As I've said countless times, I feel 10 carries for 30 yards is more efficient for the offense than 5 carries for 30 yards. My reasoning is that the more times you run, the more times the defense has to honor the run and it opens up play action passes.

Back to Barry Sanders @ 10mil vs Nance @450k. This is impossible to prove and anyone wanting facts to prove one way or the other is absurdly crazy go nuts. And since I fall into that category, I'll try to lay out why I think its difficult.

Barry + average QB = passing game a lot better.
Nance + elite QB = doesn't improve passing game, might hurt because there's no chance for Nance.
Barry + elite QB = pure offensive domination.

We also have to take into consideration the OL and WR... I mean there's just TOO many variables to even consider having an argument like this.

You give me an Matt Flynn, Barry Sanders, Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson and I'll give you a feared offense.

A Barry Sanders or even LaDanian Tomlinson simply just helps your team. Assuming said players are in their hayday.

If anyone wants to hold it against Barry because the Lions didn't win a Super Bowl with him is ridiculous. This goes along with zombieslayers point, it's easier to STOP the run than it is to stop the pass. That's just logic. Load up the box, maintain gap discipline and you should stop the run.

IF a team CAN get good yards running the ball and passing the ball its makes BOTH phases that much better.

If one were to say it's better to have elite QB + Ryan Grant @1 million over Elite QB + Barry Sanders @ 10 million ... I'd agree with that because Ryan might run into his own guys, but at times he can break one deep.
UserPostedImage
macbob
13 years ago

I think what's being said is that it's better to have an elite QB, rather than elite RB. Which is no secret. No one's ever said you NEED to have an elite RB to win a Super Bowl, at least, not in what I've read.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Zero, I'd like to agree with you that is what Zombie is saying. I originally thought that Zombie was just stating his argument poorly, but I don't think so anymore.

Through multiple threads this fall Zombie has had plenty of opportunity to clear it up, but he hasn't--he consistently phrases it as "running is irrelevant" or some variation.

If he truly meant that the passing game is more important than the running game, then he could have said that. And he'd have encountered very little disagreement.

I've made it clear through my posts that I think the Packers should be primarily a passing team, and running enough to attract the D's attention (and distracts them from the passing game, improving your passing). When Zombie said above he disagrees with me, what he is saying is he disagrees with that philosophy.

So, I am led to believe that Zombie truly believes all you need to do is pass, pass, pass. If running is irrelevant, why would you ever run??? If it's not irrelevant, why would you keep saying it is?

A running game is needed, yes. As I've said countless times, I feel 10 carries for 30 yards is more efficient for the offense than 5 carries for 30 yards. My reasoning is that the more times you run, the more times the defense has to honor the run and it opens up play action passes.

Zero2Cool wrote:

Agreed on the running 10 times attracts the D's attention more than 5, but running 10 times for 60 attracts the D's attention more than running 10 times for 30. The more effective your running game the more you'll attract the D's attention and open up your passing game.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

And I'm perfectly fine with that, especially when it comes to Barry Sanders. I was just tying to tow the joking line, but guess I went to far.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Dude - I don't mind you joking with me. What I do mind is that you don't have any facts. Macbob slights me all the time but he's backing up what he's saying. Personally, I think Macbob's a utopian. The game has changed.

Nance + elite QB = doesn't improve passing game, might hurt because there's no chance for Nance.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

OK, thank you. Now you're finally giving me something to argue with. This is what I want.

An elite RB like Barry Sanders will take passes away from the offense. He'll also take money away from the team. So thus, I'll take Nance + elite QB. All Nance really has to do is rush 15 times for 60 yards. That's it. The pass will give him those opportunities as the pass nowadays opens up the run, not the other way around. Yes, I saw Pack93z posted examples of the latter but those are exceptions, not the rule.

Macbob - Maybe I'm not stating my point very well. Rushing success is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if you're the #1 rushing team or the #20. Your chances of winning the SB are exactly the same. Yes, you still need to hand the ball off. But you don't need to be good. Is that more clear?

Also, I went as far as saying an elite RB actually hurts the team by taking too many passes away from the offense. Also, he ends up asking for too much money where you're better off spending that money on a LB, DL, or DB.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

And I'm perfectly fine with that, especially when it comes to Barry Sanders. I was just tying to tow the joking line, but guess I went to far.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Dude - I don't mind you joking with me. What I do mind is that you don't have any facts. Macbob slights me all the time but he's backing up what he's saying. Personally, I think Macbob's a utopian. The game has changed.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

OK, thank you. Now you're finally giving me something to argue with. This is what I want.

An elite RB like Barry Sanders will take passes away from the offense. He'll also take money away from the team. So thus, I'll take Nance + elite QB. All Nance really has to do is rush 15 times for 60 yards. That's it. The pass will give him those opportunities as the pass nowadays opens up the run, not the other way around. Yes, I saw Pack93z posted examples of the latter but those are exceptions, not the rule.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Packers are paying Ryan Grant 5.5 million for 2011 and if he's on the roster on the 15th day, another million. You're telling me you can't afford to throw another million or two or three for a Barry Sanders?

If one were to say it's better to have
Elite QB + Ryan Grant @ 1 million
OVER
Elite QB + Barry Sanders @ 10 million ...
I'd agree with that because Ryan might run into his own guys, but at times he can break one deep.

I see you didn't mention that Barry Sanders doesn't need a fullback when discussing money being used for other players. FB's get paid big bucks ya know!

When you have a Barry Sanders on your team, he makes other aspects better. He makes your OL better, he makes your defense better because they are on the field less. He makes your WR and TE better because of the play action pass.

Therefore you do not need to pay those extra millions to acquire/keep high level talent.

You give me an Matt Flynn, Barry Sanders, Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson and I'll give you a feared offense.

I think you're using Barry as a way to spite me. I mean, seriously, what GM would ever take Nance @600k over Barry Sanders @10million?

I do think Elite passing game > Elite running game. I've said this many times too.

I believe I get your point and concept and its something I've said far earlier and agree with, obviously, but again Nance over Barry, sorry, that's a mistake.

Barry Sanders makes others on your team better.
Nance does nothing for you, is no threat to take it the distance, does not put fear in anyone. A RB has to have SOME fear instilled in the defense, even if he rushes 10 times for 30 yards, he has to have that 'uh oh he can go all the way' or at least 30+ yards. Nance does not an will not offer that ever in his career, from what I've seen.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
I'm putting together QB, RB and Defense stats from the 2010 season which I'll put up when I'm finished. So far it's looking like the order of importance is DEF, QB, RB which is no surprise. But to say there's no correlation between running success and winning is hyperbole. The top 16 teams have clearly better RBs than the bottom 16.

In terms of running backs, the order is Teams 1-8 > Teams 17-24 > Teams 9-16 > Teams 25-32. (Ranked by reverse draft order and top RB fantasy points).

And even the fact that the 17-24 ranked teams have better RBs than the 9-16 ranked teams is very iffy, as the two most injury plagued running back situations in the league happen to be situated in the 9-16 range (Colts and Saints).
This is a placeholder
Cheesey
13 years ago
I think an elite QB can make up for a so-so running game. As we saw with the Packers this past season. A great QB can use short passes to get the gains a RB would get, and has the ability to go downfield for the big play.
If all you have is a great RB, a defense can key on that and stop your offense dead.
Barry Sanders.......he was awesome. But how many of you remember when the Packer D held him to i believe minus one yard for an entire game? The Lions did nothing that game, cause the Packers keyed on Sanders.
I can only imagine what Sanders could have done with a decent QB.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
Too damn tired to analyze will do it later. Numbers used for study are QB Rating for QBs, Fantasy Points for RBs, and Points Allowed for Defenses. Teams are in the draft order, so for the purposes of calculating success, the top teams are the worst and the bottom teams are the best.
This is a placeholder
zombieslayer
13 years ago

Packers are paying Ryan Grant 5.5 million for 2011 and if he's on the roster on the 15th day, another million. You're telling me you can't afford to throw another million or two or three for a Barry Sanders?

If one were to say it's better to have
Elite QB + Ryan Grant @ 1 million
OVER
Elite QB + Barry Sanders @ 10 million ...
I'd agree with that because Ryan might run into his own guys, but at times he can break one deep.

I see you didn't mention that Barry Sanders doesn't need a fullback when discussing money being used for other players. FB's get paid big bucks ya know!

When you have a Barry Sanders on your team, he makes other aspects better. He makes your OL better, he makes your defense better because they are on the field less. He makes your WR and TE better because of the play action pass.

Therefore you do not need to pay those extra millions to acquire/keep high level talent.

I think you're using Barry as a way to spite me. I mean, seriously, what GM would ever take Nance @600k over Barry Sanders @10million?

I do think Elite passing game > Elite running game. I've said this many times too.

I believe I get your point and concept and its something I've said far earlier and agree with, obviously, but again Nance over Barry, sorry, that's a mistake.

Barry Sanders makes others on your team better.
Nance does nothing for you, is no threat to take it the distance, does not put fear in anyone. A RB has to have SOME fear instilled in the defense, even if he rushes 10 times for 30 yards, he has to have that 'uh oh he can go all the way' or at least 30+ yards. Nance does not an will not offer that ever in his career, from what I've seen.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

For the record, I'm not using Barry Sanders to spite you. I'm using him because he's hands down the best RB I've ever seen. If you'd prefer, let's use Wallie instead, who I rank #2. Sorry Finny, Wallie's better than your beloved LT.

I'd take an offense of Aaron Rodgers, Nance, Gregorious, Finley, Jordy, JJ, and Driver over an offense of Aaron, Wallie, Gregorious, Finley, Jordy, JJ, & Driver + $10 million.

Why?

2 reasons:
1) $10 million can go to the D,
2) Wallie would take up too much of the O.

As I do believe you have to run, you don't want to run "too much." Too many teams with elite RBs run too much. If you look at a lot of the past recent SB winners, they didn't have elite RBs and passed to open up the run.

I actually think we are in agreement about several things but you're taking offense at the mention of Barry so I'll replace Barry with Wallie.

I do think that with Aaron scaring Ds, Nance could easily get 30 yards on 10 carries. He did get 32 yards on 9 carries against the Giants and we blew them away.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
dfosterf (47m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
50m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.