wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Whitt, Perry of molded unit into one of league's elite 

UserPostedImage

Things were not going well for the Green Bay Packers' secondary early in the 2009 season.

New coordinator Dom Capers had installed the 3-4 defense and some players didn't entirely trust the techniques they were being taught. It didn't help that first-year cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt Jr. was just 31 and younger than his two starters, Charles Woodson and Al Harris.

"We were so much of a press team and we went to a zone concept," Whitt said. "The techniques that Dom was teaching, they weren't buying them. They were running his defense but they weren't necessarily doing the techniques the way we talked about doing it."

Woodson smiled when asked about the feeling-out process with Whitt.

"It didn't take me long to understand that he knows football," Woodson said, "but it's a different story coming in and being your coach. I'm older than Joe, so that can be a sticky situation."

The tipping point was a frustrating loss to Tampa Bay in Week 8 in which the defense had no answer for rookie quarterback Josh Freeman and allowed 38 points for a second consecutive game.

"We sat down and had a talk," Whitt said. "I told them, 'I respect what you do and I know you're the best at what you do. But you've got to understand, I'm pretty good at what I do, too. If you trust and believe in me, I'm going to trust and believe in you and we're going to get this thing done.'

"I had to change, too. I can be an (expletive). I had to tone it down."

It was the first step toward building a secondary that has become an outstanding unit, one that played a huge role in helping the Packers reach Super Bowl XLV and could be on the verge of greatness.

"I think it's the best secondary in the league," Whitt said. "It's a group that over the next three or four years could potentially be very, very good."

The remaking of the Packers' secondary is a case study in how successful NFL teams operate. A lot of things had to go right. Scouting, personnel moves, coaching, communication and chemistry were involved.

In Whitt and safeties coach Darren Perry, another bright assistant, the Packers had two young, aggressive, strong-willed coaches willing to do whatever it took.

Whitt had coached corners at the University of Louisville, where he didn't get along with the safeties coach. He didn't want the same thing to happen in Green Bay but as it turned out there was no cause for concern.

"I truly, truly like Darren," Whitt said. "He's a friend of mine. So when he gets in that room, he can tell one of my guys to do something and I don't care what it is because I know we're on the same plane."

Gaining the trust of the players was one thing. Getting them to perform as a cohesive unit was quite another.

The group gave up 34 touchdown passes in 17 games in '09 and was equally bad in the red zone and in adversity situations (when the opponent started a drive on the Packers' side of the 50-yard line). The coaches knew they had a communication problem on their hands.

"Oh, absolutely, that was lacking last year," Perry said. "Sometimes guys are prideful and sometimes they're afraid to ask questions because they don't want you to know as coaches that they don't know."

Perry and Whitt had the cornerbacks and safeties watch film together, a practice that continues to this day. They wanted to be sure the terminology was consistent and that all the players were seeing and hearing the same thing.

"For me, it's the biggest difference in our team year one to year two," Capers said. "Our communication is much better."

Safety Charlie Peprah explained how improved communication led to greater trust and helped the defense play faster. He likened it to friends knowing each other so well they can finish each other's sentences.

"You just kind of have to know the man next to you," he said. "You have to be able to know what he's going to do without speaking to him. You can tell by his body language what he's about to do and where he's going and you can play off of that."

From a personnel standpoint, most of the pieces already were in place going into the 2010 season.

Woodson, a self-described "wild child" earlier in his career, had become a consummate professional and was the 2009 NFL defensive player of the year. Nick Collins was a Pro Bowl safety. Tramon Williams was on the verge of becoming an elite cover corner.

But with Harris still sidelined following knee surgery (and eventually released), who was going to play nickel back? Among the options was undrafted rookie Sam Shields, a gifted athlete with sub-4.3 speed who had played just one year at corner for Miami.

"He was lost," Whitt said. "I almost threw him out of a meeting in OTAs. At the beginning he didn't understand defensive football. He didn't know what Cover 2 was."

Whitt had his doubts, but he liked Shields' moxie. Because Whitt was dyslexic, he'd had to learn formations from flash cards. He thought it might be the fastest way for Shields to learn, too.

"I said, 'This is what we're going to do. This is how I used to study,' " Whitt said. "I drew a formation. I drew a call on there and then I had a motion. What's the check? The answer was on the back.

"I said, 'I don't care how many flash cards you need to do, but you do every defense that way.' I came in the very next day and he had a big stack of cards. When I saw that, I said, 'This kid is going to have a chance.' "

As training camp wound down, Whitt asked Woodson point-blank: Which player do you trust to play nickel?

"He said, 'I trust the young fella,' " Whitt said. "I needed to know that."

Still, just days before the season opener against Philadelphia, Shields was unsure of his status.

"He said, 'Coach, am I going to make the team?' " Whitt said. "I said, 'Sam, you are the nickel corner. Don't worry about making this team. Worry about covering DeSean Jackson running up the field.' "

Shields has become the biggest surprise on the Packers' roster and among the biggest in the NFL. He intercepted two passes in the NFC Championship Game, the second a game-saver in the final minute.

"He's going to have the world in his hands," Whitt said. "He is so talented. He is special. Now, he might get in the Super Bowl and give up three touchdowns. I don't know. But that's not going to take away from him being special. His ability is so high there is no ceiling."

Williams has become a shut-down corner. Woodson is still wreaking havoc in the slot. Collins is one of the top safeties in the game. Peprah, intelligent and reliable, has been solid. And rookie safety Morgan Burnett, who opened the season as a starter and was hurt in Week 4, will be back.

Whitt and Perry are the glue that holds them together. One year after the Packers allowed those 34 passing touchdowns, they have given up just 19 in 19 games this season.

"The guys do an outstanding job of taking our coaching to the field," Whitt said. "We eliminate doubt from the equation and they go out there and play fast."

The Packers probably won't be able to keep Whitt and Perry much longer. The Eagles were interested in interviewing Perry, 42, for their defensive coordinator job before they filled it last week. He has one year remaining on his contract.

Whitt, the son of longtime Auburn assistant Joe Whitt Sr., aspires to be a head coach in the NFL. He undoubtedly has opened eyes around the league with his work in Green Bay and it won't be long before he is ascending the coaching ranks.

In the meantime, there is work to do. And a Super Bowl to win.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
I wonder if Harris was not able to make the adjustment from man to zone. And that along with the development of Williams and Shields led to his release. Plus losing a step or two due to injury.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

I wonder if Harris was not able to make the adjustment from man to zone. And that along with the development of Williams and Shields led to his release. Plus losing a step or two due to injury.

"wpr" wrote:

Seemed like Al did fine last year until his injury. If management had doubts about his ability to play the scheme, they probably would not have waited so long to release him. I think the injury was just too much for him.
blank
DGB454
13 years ago
I miss Al. I wish he could have stayed around long enough to get the ring with them.

Ohh. I should say something about our current secondary and the coaches. They are great.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Around The NFL / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.