Greg C.
14 years ago
I was glad to see this article in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel about Bruce Wilkerson. Late in the 1996 season, he took over the left tackle position for the Packers and was rock solid protecting Brett Favre's blind side. The Packers had really been struggling at that position until Wilkerson came along. I've always had a lot of respect for him, and it's good to see him getting some props.

This article is a must-read for fans who are too young to remember the 1996 season:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/80488732.html 
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Awesome article. There are so many players from the Super Bowl years whose names I just don't know. I was stuck listening to the games in the basement on the radio with the volume at just above imperceptible, and the only game I got to watch was Super Bowl XXI. I'm only now gradually learning more about those teams.

However, the pedant in me must point out that the quote below demonstrates a classic misuse of the word irony:

"(Mike) Holmgren told me that morning," Wilkerson said Friday from his home in Knoxville, Tenn. "He said, 'We're going to give you a shot and rely on you.' The ironic thing is, (Brett) Favre came up later on that day at practice and said, 'I know you got my back.'

;)
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago
Yes, "ironic" is one of the most misused words in the English language. A lot of people seem to have trouble with the concept. I always liked my high school English teacher's definition of irony, which is not technically correct, but somehow captures the feel of the word: "Irony is something unexpected, but it's not when you expect to have hamburgers for lunch and you get hot dogs instead."
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Yep, what Wilkerson meant is "coincidentally" or perhaps "surprisingly," but it wasn't ironic. It would have been ironic if, for example, he had been told he would be the starter but then was kept on the bench the rest of the season for no apparent reason.

Below I have posted the companion piece to your article.

Then & Now 

In 1996, tackle Bruce Wilkerson helped Green Bay win a Super Bowl. Today, Mark Tauscher looks for his place in Packers' lore.

By Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Jan. 1, 2010

Thirteen years ago an aging tackle with a bad knee bailed out the Green Bay Packers in their hour of need and they went on to win the Super Bowl.

The same thing might be happening all over again in the city where football saviors are revered forever.

Bruce Wilkerson, the unsung hero of the 1996 championship team, has met Mark Tauscher. He saved the day for the Packers back then at left tackle and is hoping that Tauscher's rescue effort at right tackle will conclude with the franchise's fifth Lombardi Trophy next month.

"When Earl Dotson was still playing and Tauscher was a young guy, Earl told me he was going to be a player," Wilkerson said this week from his home in Knoxville, Tenn. "I was very happy when I came up to the Minnesota game and he was back dressed. Because I knew down the long run he was going to help that team."

Wilkerson was 32, the same age that Tauscher is now, when the Packers decided to start him over rookie John Michels for the regular-season finale. Wilkerson allowed a sack in that game but none in the three playoff games.

"I just know we were excited that he didn't get the quarterback killed," said Reggie McKenzie, the Packers' co-director of football operations who joined the team as a scout in 1994. "He didn't let people just cross his face and stuff Dorsey (Levens) and Edgar (Bennett) behind the line of scrimmage."

General manager Ron Wolf signed Wilkerson, a starter for the Raiders from 1987-'94, in April of that year as an insurance policy. Gary Brown started Weeks 1-2-3-4-7 at left tackle, veteran Ken Ruettgers started Week 11 before retiring two days later with chronic knee pain and Michels, a skinny first-round pick, started Weeks 5-6-8-9-10-12-13-14-15.

Finally, after watching Michels get walked back by bull rushers into Brett Favre's lap too many times, coach Mike Holmgren made the move to Wilkerson.

Although it's true that Tauscher also was signed off the street (Oct. 12), he had deep ties to the Packers as a solid starter from 2000-'08. His career in Green Bay seemed finished when he needed a second reconstructive surgery on his left knee for an injury that occurred in Week 13 last season.

From March on the Packers prepared Allen Barbre to fill Tauscher's shoes. They also were bringing back Breno Giacomini, and the draft brought tackles T.J. Lang and Jamon Meredith.

As it turned out, Barbre was unfit for duty. Once the medical staff determined Tauscher was a go, he started Nov. 8 against Tampa Bay.

Tauscher reinjured the knee in that game after merely 14 snaps and was replaced by Barbre, who allowed four more "pressures" in a humiliating loss. Lang started for Tauscher the next week in the critical game against Dallas and it has been Tauscher ever since.

Wilkerson, 6 feet 5 inches and 315 pounds, was smart (22 on the Wonderlic intelligence test) and light on his feet. Tauscher (6-3, 318) scored 25 on the Wonderlic and has proven to be more athletic than scouts could ever imagine.

"From the standpoint of an old dog just getting in there and protecting that quarterback, both of them can do that," McKenzie said. "They're similar because they both know how to get it done. From the neck up, and physically, they get it."

Wilkerson grew up on a farm in Philadelphia, Tenn. Tauscher's family also farmed in Milladore, Wis., until moving to nearby Auburndale when he was ready for high school.

"As far as admiring the way he plays, it's not pretty but the final outcome is he's getting the job done," said Wilkerson. "As Wayne Simmons used to say, 'Your body may not be pretty but you get the job done.' "

Tauscher said he could understand the parallel being drawn to Wilkerson, whom he remembers watching in 1996 as a freshman at Wisconsin. He can relate to Wilkerson, who in 1996 told writers "this game is 70% technical and probably 30% physical."

Study. Prepare. Compete. Hate to get beat.

"That's really what it's all about," Tauscher said Friday. "If you're a productive, consistent player you're going to last a long time in this league."

To assess the switch at right tackle, consider the numbers. In maybe 100 more snaps, Barbre has allowed 26 "pressures," including five sacks, and 4 "bad" runs. Tauscher has allowed 14 pressures, including two sacks, and 7 "bad" runs.

"He's very smart, man," an NFC personnel director said last month. "Very, very crafty. Tauscher is done, but he's a football player. That's probably the best way to sum it up. You've got to respect a guy like that."

Tauscher never did get caught up in what scouts said about him and he certainly isn't now. Aside from spending about two hours most days treating his balky knee, he is playing for his own satisfaction, the wonders of a second chance, the Super Bowl and another contract.

"I'd love to keep playing," he said. "But this is game to game. You don't dwell on that. You put all your focus into this and this playoff run."

Wilkerson has carved out his niche in Packers lore. Tauscher, who has stabilized the line, now looks for his.

"The stabilizing thing?" Tauscher said. "I think that's a great compliment. I feel like I do what I do. . . and I'm giving everything I've got. I'm definitely headed in the right direction."

UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
I remember getting bashed on another Packers board when I suggested that Ted Thompson should be more active in free agency and with trades. I specifically mentioned Bruce Wilkerson more than once.

I was always accused of being unrealistic and wanting Ted Thompson to be Dan Snyder.

(shrug)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (16h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (19h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.