Rockmolder
14 years ago

Joe Thomas has 32.5" arms

TJ Lang.. 32.75 arms..

Anyone want to argue that Thomas isn't a franchise left tackle?

British.. this isn't directed towards anyone in particular.. but other than prototypical height.. I don't see another weakness.. especially after watching him at this level.

My point here is that technique wise, I see no glaring weakness.. needs polish.

I really want someone to find and explain what I am missing in the kid.

With that said.. if you get a blue chip prospect sitting on the draft board staring you in the face next season.. take him.. but I wouldn't reach for one with Lang on the roster. I am convinced after studying Lang after the draft.. Lang could line up anywhere on the line.

"pack93z" wrote:

I don't know if there's a huge knock on the guy. I think it's more about the circumstances than anything else.

First of all, he came to us in the 4th round, projected as a guard. Having to play him as our LT in his rookie season is something fans can get nightmares about.

Then the teams he played. He played LT against the Browns. You could play RT against the Browns if your good foot heals up. Nontheless, he gave us a good performance. Then he played LT against the Vikings. He obviously got beaten by Allen from time to time. Something that'll happen to everyone. Doesn't make a good impression, though. Against Dallas, Havner gave up a sack or two. It sticks with you as our O-linemen getting beaten on the outside, though.

From what I've seen, he's more polished as a run blocker than as a pass blocker at this time. Something I don't like to see in my LT. I'd prefer my LT to be a classic blind side, pass protector. A Micheal Roos, Joe Thomas, early Chad Clifton kind of guy.

Lastly, I think that people would just like to see a high draft pick anchoring this line. We're one of the only teams to not have a first round pick stabilizing the O-line. I would like to see that elite LT protect Rodgers' blindside. Lang hasn't looked elite, just good. I'm a little weary about progression with James Campen as our O-line coach. We have barely seen any progression from any O-lineman lately.

And if Lang doesn play LT, we'd still need a RT.

I don't agree with all those points, but I can imagine that they weigh in when people are calling for an OT.
djcubez
14 years ago

This was a question and answer in Greg Bedard's post game chat. I think he makes a great point. If Giacomini doesn't contribute somewhere next year then he's been a complete waste. His roster spot could have been used to groom our LT of the future (Meredith or someone else).

Q: mike, las vegas - Greg- Thanks for the chats. One simple question looking ahead. How are we going to replace 2 aging OT's in a draft that is weak at OT??

A: Greg A. Bedard - If Giacomini isn't starting next season, it's a complete joke and he's been an utter waste of roster space the past two seasons. So he has to be the starter there. Lang might be able to get you through a season, but I expect Clifton to be back in some capacity. There's no way the Packers can draft a LT next year and him be the starter. It just doesn't happen unless the guy is a top-10 pick. I've been saying for months the Packers are screwed at left tackle for the foreseeable future. That's what I didn't get about cutting Jamon Meredith. They should have cut Giacomini and kept Meredith in the same space-sucking role. At least Meredith has a chance to be a left tackle with his athletic ability.

"British" wrote:

I seriously agree with Bedard here. Unless Breno plays in some capacity next year we've wasted a roster spot to groom a lineman.
British
14 years ago
From Bob McGinn's online chat:

Q: John Casper, Milwaukee - Bigger waste of a roster spot, B.J. Sander or Breno Giacomini?
A: Bob McGinn - B.J. v. Breno, I'd take Breno in a heartbeat. B.J. didn't quite have what it takes. Breno might not, either, but I've got a funny feeling Giacomini just might develop into something in his third year. He missed the entire off-season following major ankle surgery.

UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
14 years ago
What is wrong with Tauscher at RT next year? I see all these posts about who we are going to get to replace him but all I have seen out of him is a guy who helped save our entire season this year despite coming off of major knee surgery.
blank
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

I still see no one offering up why Lang isn't a candidate for the long term on the left tackle spot.. pick apart his game and tell me why you think he can't be that left tackle. Please.

"pack93z" wrote:

Interesting question, one which I agree with. I'll post what some of the scouts said about him, taken from the MJS draft review.

4. T.J. LANG, G, EASTERN MICHIGAN

Eric DeCosta, Baltimore: "I like him. Third or fourth round."

NFC scout: "Like a sixth-rounder. Pretty good player. Somebody will get a good player for good value."

NFC scout: "I couldn't get excited about him. Too stiff for me. Tough kid. Great kid. Good worker. He's a terrible space player. He should be a guard. But if you're running a pull system or a zone scheme he's going to struggle. Not a very good balance athlete."

NFC scout: "I worked him out and spent a lot of time with him. If somebody takes him as high as the third round, God bless them. Good measurables. Super tough. Very strong. Play-hard guy. He doesn't play as athletic as he tests. There's a lot of up side to him. The fact he hasn't played guard hurts him a little bit. He's a little bit upright. He's going to have to learn to play a little bit lower. The only thing he really lacks is he doesn't unload his hips very well. He doesn't have lower-body pop. But he certainly pulls well enough and plays with enough range. Real strong upper body. Smart. Tough. He's the type of guard that will end up playing in the NFL for a long time."

Charles Fisher, Seattle: "He's a height-weight-speed prospect. He had everything that you would want to develop. He was very inconsistent this year. He struggled to play with leverage. He should get drafted and develop. Maybe a practice-squad guy for a year or two. Maybe you can move him to guard or center because he's not the biggest guy."

AFC scout: "He doesn't belong in the top group but he's a pretty tough guy. He's in the middle of the draft somewhere."

AFC scout: "We gave him a seventh-round grade."

AFC scout: "I thought he was just a guy. He played tackle for them but he is also a guard. He was their best athlete at tackle. Probably a late-round guy."

AFC scout: "He's getting a lot of good buzz from people but I bet he'll be a fourth or a fifth. Our guys didn't like him. We put him in the seventh."

AFC scout: "Very strong guy. Tough kid. Runs well enough. May end up at guard because of the height. Can anchor. Little stiff. Problem with change of direction. Doesn't have really good feet. Probably fifth or sixth round."

It seems the biggest issues were about his athletic ability and height. Seems to be more athletic than appears at first glance, but the scouts did question his ability to stay low enough.

Certainly wouldn't rule him out at LT, but I'd think the Packers at least should bring in another prospect just for the sake of looking- ironically I wouldn't mind some one similar to Jamon Meredith being drafted / signed as undrafted free agent.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
British
14 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/79701042.html 
Bob MGinn article today:

Green Bay Even when the right tackle position threatened the functionality of the Green Bay Packers' offense earlier this season, right tackle Breno Giacomini never got a call.

Which begs the question: Why is Giacomini, a non-entity since being drafted in the fifth round in 2008, still on the 53-man roster?

"That's a young football player," replied James Campen, the club's offensive line coach. "Breno is still an ascending player, in my opinion.

"I wouldn't give up on him. Give up isn't even in the vocabulary. He definitely will push next year."

Giacomini, 6 feet 7 inches and between 315 and 320 pounds, basically has been on scholarship for two years. Out of a possible 29 games, he has played in one, been active for two but didn't play, and been inactive for 26.

His playing time consists of one play from scrimmage (kneel-down, at Detroit, 2008) and three plays on special teams.

"We don't have a ton of information yet," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "As a rookie he did some nice things. You like what you see on the practice field. But I'm not sure we actually know enough to make a great decision on where he's at."

In their hope of hopes, Giacomini will develop into a brawling, effective right tackle like Jon Runyan (6-7, 330), who started for Tennessee and Philadelphia from 1997-2008.

"He's a big-boned kid who is as solid as this wall," Campen said. "He's very strong and has a motor that just won't quit. He has no learning problem. He's very assignment-sure."

Twelve months ago Campen was singing the same tune about Giacomini's in-season development when he wrecked his ankle in practice a few days before Christmas. When the injury didn't improve, he underwent major surgery Feb. 11.

As a result, Giacomini lost out on what might have been a crucial off-season. Although Giacomini was in pads from the start of training camp, Campen had restrictions using him during the first few weeks.

Giacomini posted a 17-3-2 record in the one-on-one pass-blocking drill, the best mark of any tackle in camp. But the coaches preferred to start Allen Barbre.

When Barbre's shortcomings were exposed, veteran Mark Tauscher was signed to replace him. When Tauscher had to miss a start, rookie T.J. Lang was used, not Giacomini.

Clearly, Lang is the most highly regarded young tackle. But if Giacomini can tighten his game together during the winter and spring, he could bypass Barbre, who came up short two seasons in a row, and emerge as the No. 1 backup at right tackle.

"I'm not going to say (next year) is his last chance," said Campen. "That's not fair to say. But that kid played tight end as a junior (at Louisville) and just one year at tackle. Then he hurts the ankle and is behind the 8-ball.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago
Thanks Brit.

Joe Philbin said. "I'm not sure we actually know enough to make a great decision on where he's at."

How can they draft a kid have him on the roster for 2 years and not know?

"I'm not going to say (next year) is his last chance," said Campen. "That's not fair to say. But that kid played tight end as a junior (at Louisville) and just one year at tackle. Then he hurts the ankle and is behind the 8-ball."

This is not a charity. It is the NFL. If he is not good enough to be on the active team roster it is time to move on.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
14 years ago
INactive today.
He's this teams' Kevin Barry. BRING BACK THE U-71!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (5h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (7h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (7h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (10h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (11h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (21h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.