bigfog
  • bigfog
  • Registered Topic Starter
15 years ago
In news that will surely surprise no one.

Mandarich reveals addiction
By Bob Wolfley
Tuesday, Sep 30 2008, 11:44 AM

Tony Mandarich, who was taken No. 2 overall by the Packers in the 1989 draft, says in an interview he was addicted to alcohol and painkillers the entire time he played in Green Bay.

Mandarich also admits for the first time he used anabolic steroids while he played at Michigan State.

Mandarich, a tackle, played for the Packers from 1989 to '91. He was drafted one spot behind Dallas quarterback Troy Aikman and one spot ahead of Detroit running back Barry Sanders.

Mandarich made these revelations during an interview with Armen Keteyian, the chief investigative correspondent for CBS News. That interview is to air Wednesday night on Showtime's "Inside the NFL," a program produced by CBS Sports.

Mandarich says he entered the NFL as an addict.

"There's other factors that were involved that nobody knows about that were way more of an effect on why I had the huge downfall in Green Bay than steroids (such as) drug and alcohol abuse. ... I was injecting a drug called Stadol ... and it was euphoric. I went from doing one injection on that one day, and a week later I was doing between five to seven shots a day for the next three years."

Mandarich says he preferred getting high to working out when he was in Green Bay.

"(I) was not the same person they drafted. ... I got to the point where it was a struggle to work out three or four times a week because the priority of getting high was above the priority of working out," Mandarich said.

Mandarich says he supplied a fake urine sample to the NCAA prior to the 1988 Rose Bowl while he was at Michigan State.

"That is correct," Mandarich said. "You got to improvise. You got to improvise."

Mandarich, who was suspected of using steroids, has repeatedly denied he used them.

"I used them," Mandarich said. "I used them ... and this is the first time I ever said it. ... If I would have come out and said it, I think it would have affected a lot of other people that were doing the same things."

Mandarich plans to publish a book about his life in March. But he said he will not name names in the same manner Jose Canseco did in his book.

"I don't think that you should benefit off other people's shortcomings," Mandarich said. "In my opinion, Jose Canseco is an (expletive) for what he did, the way he did it. I mean that's chicken (expletive)."

In his 1988 season for the Spartans, Mandarich was a first-team All-Amercan for the Spartans and was named the Big Ten Conference lineman of the year for the second consecutive season. He was touted by some as the best offensive line prospect in history. Sports Illustrated in a cover story called him "The Incredible Bulk."

"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
longtimefan
15 years ago
Even tho it is to late at least he admits it now.

I just wish he would have turned out better then what he had with GB..
Rockmolder
15 years ago
Oh, what could've been if it had come out before the 89 Draft.

Barry Sanders together with Favre etc. in the 90's would've gotten us more than one SB, I'm sure of that.

Or any other player in the top 5 for that matter; Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, Derrick Thomas.

No use to look at the past though, and we got a SB out of it anyway.

I'm glad he finally got it of his chest, must've been a mental burden aswell, keeping it (somewhat) hidden.
Cheesey
15 years ago
So....basically.....he stole money from the Packers.
Shouldn't he be liable for it? Shouldn't he have to repay it? I'm SURE he signed a contract stating he didn't do drugs.
Nice that he admits it........almost 20 years later.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago

So....basically.....he stole money from the Packers.
Shouldn't he be liable for it? Shouldn't he have to repay it? I'm SURE he signed a contract stating he didn't do drugs.
Nice that he admits it........almost 20 years later.

"Cheesey" wrote:

I would think back at that time a contract like that did not exist..

There are personal conduct ones now so maybe drugs and such is covered under that now
4PackGirl
15 years ago
so...he admitted it to sell his book?? classic! 🙂
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

so...he admitted it to sell his book?? classic! :)

"4PackGirl" wrote:

and bashed Jose Canseco for .. oh nm
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago

so...he admitted it to sell his book?? classic! :)

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

and bashed Jose Canseco for .. oh nm

"4PackGirl" wrote:

LOLOL!!! I know.............
Hey....I'll do some real bad stupid stuff, so i can write a book and make MORE money off the stupid stuff i did!!!
But he's better then Canseco........
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.