Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Web Page Name 

[img_r]http://media.jsonline.com/images/185*107/mjs-jennings-13ofx-spt-wood-jennings.jpg[/img_r]Those poor referees. Do you ever pity them? You should.

Why?

Because they really hear it from Greg Jennings.

It starts with stunned wide eyes and gives way to displeasure . . . How could they miss that? Then the arms come out, palms up, pleading for reasoning. It's never disrespectful, but Jennings must make them understand: They got it wrong.

Jennings is a lot of things besides a star wide receiver for the 7-4 Green Bay Packers - among them, a winner.

He's going to be right. It takes a mountain of evidence to prove otherwise.

His wife Nicole did it once.

He swore he bought their little girl a SpongeBob yellow tennis racket from Wal-Mart. She says, slowly, that no, he bought the one with Dora the Explorer.

But Greg remembers how badly his little Amya wanted that racket, and he adores his girl. Had to be SpongeBob. He could not let it go.

The marriage forensics raged between Greg and Nicole through the night - in a way that only happens between couples who are also best friends - until finally Greg called and roused his sister Ebony from her bed at a most unreasonable hour, made her drive over to his condominium in Kalamazoo, Mich., and go into the closet and pull out the racket. Greg demanded a picture be sent to his phone, too, for proof.

It was Dora.

"Got two brand new purses out of it," said Nicole. "Woot!"

Still, Jennings is one of those men who has to be right even when he isn't right in the head. During the exhibition season this year, he suffered a concussion and blacked out. On the sideline, trainers asked a woozy Jennings, "Who is the president?" Barack Obama never entered his mind; he replied "George Bush."

But after the grogginess wore off, Jennings began questioning the trainers. Still does, to this day.

"No, they were asking me who the previous president was," said Jennings. "I'm pretty sure."

OK, Greg (it's just easier to say that sometimes).

But, again, those poor referees.

As Packers fans have grown to know and rely on Jennings for those 225 receptions, it is clear there's a reason he has to be right. To do what he's done, to get where he's gotten, to go where he's headed - he's got to do things the right way.

A perfectionist survives

Realistically, this 5-foot-11 (and a half, he adds) man probably should not be in the NFL. Blessed with great hands and adequate speed - but perhaps not much else beyond incredible discipline - Jennings always has been about working his way up.

He would be the only receiver to meet former Packers quarterback Brett Favre on the off days and go over film work. A year later, he would catch Favre's NFL-record 421st touchdown pass.

After leading the Packers in receiving yards last year with 1,292, Jennings is on a hot streak now with 127 yards against San Francisco and 53 at Detroit. He is the deep threat, with 21 catches of 20 or more yards, second most in the NFL.

"He's the kind of guy who catches five for 127 last week and the week before he had 4 for 45," said Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers. "You didn't notice a difference in his attitude. Obviously whenever we get him the ball it helps our offense, but you love a guy who brings the same kind of energy and enthusiasm every week."

At work, Jennings has everything in order. His foot locker is full of a dozen or more shoes that are neatly lined up in evenly spaced rows; dozens of gloves hang like bats from the shelf. Receivers coach Jimmy Robinson was blown away that Jennings picked up all three receiver position formations in the 2-minute drill in his first week of camp. "Just exceptional at understanding," said Robinson.

"He details his craft pretty good," said receiver James Jones. "He wants to run his route perfect. He wants to break on this foot, from this amount of yards. When you get a guy after those details, you can go a long way, as you can see with him."

Nicole gets that. She's seen him prepare and sacrifice to get to the NFL.

But that's football. Does it have to be with everything, she asks, looking around their modern Green Bay-area home, with furniture and accents in soothing caramels and earth tones interrupted by primary red, green and blue plastic toys of their toddler daughter Amya and infant daughter Alea?

"He is such the perfectionist. Oh my goodness, such the perfectionist," said Nicole. "I don't vacuum. Wanna know why? I don't make the lines. We just messed up our lines today and our house was cleaned yesterday. When we get our lines we have to walk aroouunnnndd the chair. Like, that's the path, because we can't walk iiinnnnn the carpet lines.

"I don't need lines. I don't fold clothes. I don't iron. I just hope that it looks nice when I put it on. He . . . "

"I fold clothes. I iron," said Greg.

Jennings even gets facials and manicures, said Nicole. He makes a face like he wishes his wife had not just announced that. Nicole asks, you didn't like the yoga?

"It was a package deal," Greg explained in a whisper.

"He gets annoyed when I put pants on Amya that are wrinkled," continued Nicole. "But I figure, hey, she's 2. No one's really paying attention. . . . You know what I mean? But daddy does."

Jennings purses his lips together on this one. No sense arguing with his soul mate who has known him since they were children. The thing is, Jennings does care about everything in his life. They are, in purposeful order: God, family, Packers.

"Football is not No. 1 on his list," said Robinson. "It's no higher than No. 3."

Foundation in faith

Jennings' father, Greg Sr., is the pastor at Progressive Deliverance Ministries in Kalamazoo, Mich., while his mother, Gwen, is a missionary. His parents had an inherent sense of right and wrong with little gray area and taught those morals and values at home. It was all reinforced in church, Jennings' second home. He played guitar and drums and sang there.

Jennings felt his best when he did things right.

"That is really what anchored everything, faith and my father, I had the best role model ever," said Jennings. "Religion was first and foremost. Putting God first. Recognizing who has allowed you to be who you are and giving you the gifts that you have.

"I learned when I was younger. I was quite a good drummer and I was bragging and boasting, closing my eyes because I thought I was just super good. I remember my mom telling me, 'You need to stop doing that because God gave you that gift and he can take it from you.' The next Sunday I was playing the drums and I couldn't do anything. Couldn't do any fancy stuff, any little runs, all I could do was keep the beat.

"From that point on I never bragged about my athletic skills, I never boasted about anything. Everything was a quiet confidence. There was no need to say, 'Oh, I'm the man.' I've never been that guy and that's why I will never be that guy. This gift has been given to me and it can be taken away."

When Jennings left Kalamazoo - the only home he knew and where he also attended college at Western Michigan - and lived in Green Bay alone as a rookie in 2006, newfound money, fame, opportunities and freedom did nothing to ease his homesickness. It did nothing to fade his faith, either.

"I would put gospel songs on and sit in that chair and just cry," said Jennings. "I kid you not."

When his friends and teammates swear around Jennings, they often quickly apologize. He doesn't drink or smoke and doesn't keep close friends who do. He does not push an agenda, either. If you're looking for his Christianity, you'll simply have to study the way he lives his life.
Family a priority

And that starts with his family. A picture of him and Nicole embracing hangs over their fireplace. There are no trophies or football snapshots. Jennings co-parents with Nicole rather than relieves her.

"He changes diapers. He goes grocery shopping," said Nicole. "When I was in the hospital with Alea, he did Amya's hair. . . . It was funny, but it was done! Really we don't even need a sitter because when he comes home from football he takes the girls."

He's not looking for approval for doing this; Jennings just knows that if he didn't prop Amya in his arms at Lambeau for a meeting, or go to the pet store to watch her hide behind his jacket because the fish that keeps staring at her is freaking her out, he would miss out on the treasured moments that make parenting worthwhile.

But even before his daughters came along, Greg was focused on family - his three siblings, his extended family, Nicole. When he didn't have it in Green Bay at first, he tried to recreate it.

"Greg's a big homebody," said Nicole. "Even his rookie year, if I called, he was home. The guys would be here playing pool. We've never been the ones, 'My gosh, we've got to go out.' I guess we could be labeled as boring, but we have a blast."

Jennings' kinship extends to his Packers family as well, which has left him raw at times. Football isn't like church or family, a fraternity to stand up through time and distance. This is fleeting. That's been hard.

More than anyone else, former Packers receiver Robert Ferguson mentored Jennings his first year, and when Jennings beat Ferguson for a job, it crushed Jennings. When roommate Ruvell Martin was cut before this season, Jennings bought four going-away cards. One wasn't nearly enough.

"When Ferg left, I was sick. Sick. You build the relationships and then they're torn by the business aspect," Jennings said. "When I first got here, I sat in the lobby where the Lombardi trophies are and I called Nicole and said, 'Babe, I don't know if I can do this.' My voice was trembling. I wanted to cry the second day of training camp. It was too much like a business. Guys didn't care about other guys. Everybody is in it for themselves."

Jennings prayed about how to handle it, not how to care about other people - that wouldn't change.

In Rodgers there is hope

One of the things that keeps Jennings going is his faith in his quarterback.

Their relationship already has endured the transition from Favre's departure to Rodgers' emergence. Some may argue Jennings' finest season was his second - Favre's last in Green Bay. Jennings averaged a career-best 17.4 yards per catch and had 12 touchdowns for the Packers team that lost to the New York Giants in the NFC Championship Game.

Losing Favre could unsettle any receiver, but in Rodgers, Jennings sees a future of Pro Bowls and playoffs and championship pursuits. And he acts like he knows it will happen the way he knows snow is coming in winter.

"Looking at Aaron, watching what he's able to do given time, given protection . . . shhhhh," said Jennings, shaking his head, amazed. "Seriously. We've had glimpses of it. The sky's the limit. The stars are the limit."

Jennings sees a character trait he believes he shares with Rodgers.

"His will to win. He's almost afraid to lose. He just does not want to be that guy to lose. Period," said Jennings. "He has this persona about him, this demeanor, where he always feels like he needs to prove somebody wrong. That's a chip that a lot of guys have that some voice and some don't.

"But he just has this aura about him that, and he's not going to say it - he shouldn't say it or he would come off a little arrogant - but he knows that he could be great."

Jennings and Rodgers, who work together every off-season here for voluntary workouts, have talked about building something great in Green Bay.

"We talked about, when he re-did his contract last year, the opportunity to work together for a number of years," said Rodgers. "Me being here, signed for six years, I hope that had something to do with him re-signing. I hope it did, him wanting to build together something with me."

Jennings signed a three-year contract extension this summer. Success, he hopes, comes sooner rather than later.

This will not last forever

That concussion in the third preseason game at Arizona renewed concerns for Jennings. If he gets the son he wants one day, Greg will put a golf club in his hand - never a football.

"I was out before I hit the ground," said Jennings. "I do remember that. Man, it was scary. There's a portion of that game I just don't remember. I watched the film the next day and didn't know any of that took place."

With Greg's motionless body on the ground and the defensive back posturing, the broadcast went to commercial and Nicole lost it watching from home.

"See, if there's anything that I want to be done, I ask Greg," said Nicole. "If I needed him to build an addition to this house, he will do it. If he was on a plane that crashed, he knows I'm coming to get him because I know he's alive. He is Mr. Invincible.

"So for my Mr. Invincible to be on the field, like . . . I don't even want to talk about it anymore. That . . . can't . . . be Greg. Because nobody can hurt Greg."

Greg got up.

He didn't have a clue about the president or exactly where he was, but he knew enough to tell a trainer to call his wife immediately and tell her he was OK.

Teammate Donald Driver wants to play until he is 40, Favre already has and most NFL players keep marching on as long as there's a roster spot for them somewhere. Anywhere.

That will not be Jennings.

One of Jennings' childhood heroes, Barry Sanders, called it quits well before a possible decline. Jennings might, too. There is a date when football ends for him; he will know it when it comes. Robinson warned that in this Green Bay offense with so many playmakers, a 100-catch season for one player is unlikely. If Jennings makes a Pro Bowl, he will have to stand out on his own team first.

After that - even though everyone says he would be a natural for football broadcasting - Jennings will go into the ministry.

"I hate people seeing me just as a football player," said Jennings. "Football is a huge part, it is our financial backing, but at the same time, if football was discontinued right now, we would be fine.

"I want to experience being a father to my daughters without football being in the way. And being a husband without football being in the way. Letting Nicole make some decisions instead of always following what I have to do. I seriously don't see myself playing forever. At the draft I told her, 'I'm not playing more than 10 years.'

"Man, this is - I love it. But I don't want to do this for the rest of my life. Once I'm done with football, I'm done with football. I'm not one that's going to need to be seen again."

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (5h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (5h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (6h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (8h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (9h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (12h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (13h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (18h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Random Babble / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.