Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Web Page Name 

This week, its defensive end Cullen Jenkins, who talks his cartoon watching, life as a dad and why the NCAA wouldnt let him work as a waiter at Dennys in college, among other topics.

I watch the Cartoon Network every night. My wife gets sick of it, gets sick of me going to sleep with the TV on. My favorite show is Family Guy. I watch that a lot. Thats the big one. And Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I just like watching cartoons. Kris and I, growing up, we didnt watch that much TV because we didnt have cable. All we had were the basic channels, and there wasnt much on then. But Saturday mornings, wed watch the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show. We loved that.

The only movies I see are kids movies. The only time we get to go to the theater is to see Ice Age or Meet The Robinsons, something like that.

I drive a Cadillac Escalade. I got it after I got my contract. I was driving a 2001 Mercury Mountaineer my first few years, a vehicle that my brother Kris helped me get when he got drafted. I drove that around the first two years, and then my third year, I finally went ahead and bought something nice.

I try to be smart with my money. Obviously everybody has their weaknesses. Me and my wife, our weakness is with food. We spend a lot on going out to eat, trying different types of food. When we go to our favorite sushi place, Koko, the bills about $200 something. The kids eat it too. My wife and I like the fact that theyre willing to try new stuff. With sushi, we try not to let them eat too much of it. But they really love the sake, which is raw salmon. Its good.

On my iPod, I listen to a lot of Jay-Z, but I actually have some reggae on it now. I wasnt a big reggae fan at first, but when your wife is from the Carribean, you start to adjust to it a little bit. I like it now.

I was a waiter at Dennys for a couple years, and I think everybody should experience being a waiter or waitress at some point in their life so they understand what people have to go through. It gives you a little better appreciation for those people and how you treat them when you go out to eat. I did it at the end of high school and then some at the beginning of college.

Funny story. I went to school my first year on scholarship, and I didnt know I wasnt supposed to have a job. So Jasmin was already born she was born in January, at the end of the season and I used to drive home to Detroit on the weekends because it was only a two-hour drive and work at Dennys, and then Id drive back up to school for the week. Well, I went in and told the people I had a job, and I got in trouble. I got declared ineligible through the NCAA. I ended up having to pay like $230 to charity over the summer to become eligible again for the season. Its not like it was a no-show job. Im a waiter, the job I had in high school, trying to make money because Ive got a family. Its interesting how they dont let you do stuff like that even if you may have a different situation than anybody else.

Growing up, I wasnt all that different than I am now. Im kind of a big kid. Then, I was silly, class clown, always got in trouble in school. Never big trouble, but saying something slick, smart-(aleck) stuff.

Being a dad, its always something. I dont get to do much reading. I mostly do homework with the kids. Im not a big reader. Im trying to. I had bought a book a few years ago, The Cell. I started reading it, it got good, and maybe halfway through, I stopped. Its still in my dresser drawer, and I havent finished it yet. Im usually in charge of helping them with math and science. Im pretty good with that.

Jasmin will be 10 and Ashanti will be 7 in less than two months. Now, I get to sit back and kind of be a fan, watching them. Theyre both on gymnastics teams. Its funny. My whole life, Ive been involved in sports where I knew what was going on. Now, Im watching them and I have no clue. I dont know what theyre judged on. You try to help them any way you can, but for the most part, I just have to sit there and be quiet because Im watching and learning as much as they are.

It was challenging, being a dad when youre 18. But its still challenging, you know. At first, it was a little tough just because I was never around any kids growing up or any girls. It was always me, my dad and my brother growing up. So when I had a daughter, I didnt know what to do. I remember in the hospital, when I had to change a diaper for the first time, I had to call the nurse in because I didnt know what the heck to do. But you learn as you go.

Theyre spoiled. I will admit that. They definitely dont have to try hard to get things. But you have to draw the line. Theyve been trying to get a horse out of me. But weve got enough animals as it is. We have three or four dogs, a parrot, a turtle its between here and Michigan, so we never have them all at once, at least.

My wife Pashun and I, weve been married for six years, but weve been together for, itll be 12 years next month. We were high-school sweethearts, as they say. Its so cool to have been together that long because, everything we have, we came into together. Its never been something where youre ever worried about how somebody may look at your or view you. I moved out of the house my senior year and was living with her at her place. So weve been together for a long time. We pretty much have never been separated. Weve always been one. Thats pretty cool.

There were a lot of times during my career, especially after I got cut, where I wondered. You have to go home, and you want to provide for your family. I can remember the first time I got cut at the end of training camp in 2003, I thought I was going to be on the practice squad. So I thought I had a job. And then, the day they signed practice-squad players, I wasnt on it. That was depressing. At that time, we were staying with my mother-in-law, in a two-bedroom apartment. It was her, her boyfriend, me, my wife and two kids. That was a lot. Those are the times when you feel bad.

But they were always real supportive of me. They never complained. Thats why, right when I found out that I wasnt coming up here, I went out immediately and started looking for jobs. I mean, I applied everywhere. I tried to clean semi trucks, I tried to work in a beer factory. I ended up getting a job landscaping. I had to do something. I was going to try to be a substitute teacher, and at the high school where I went, Belleville, they told me I could be a permanent sub in the building. But then I found out I was four credit hours short of the Michigan qualifications for it. So I couldnt do it.

I was waiting to see if I got picked up, but I never got any workouts and never got any practice-squad offers. So I ended up signing an Arena Football contract, because I thought maybe the NFL wasnt going to be for me. And just when I was getting ready to go play, thats when I got signed (in January 2004) here and sent to NFL Europe. So were definitely thankful for everything we have, everything weve been able to accomplish and overcome.

The key to success is just being consistent, being able to continue to fight and not looking for the quick fix. You have to be committed to it. There may be times where you think it may not happen, but you have to keep fighting. You have to keep fighting.

I usually look for my wife and the girls in the crowd before games, but other than that, I dont really have any superstitions. I just try to stay relaxed as I can until I get out on the field.

I can get down on some Rollerblades. I took a class in college an in-line skating class.

My best quality is probably just being easy-going most of the time, being able to laugh off a lot of stuff. My worst quality is probably being able to laugh off a lot of stuff. (laughs) I play around a lot, and that can irritate people easily.

My favorite moment as a Packer has to be when I made the team that first year (2004) and that first game against my brother on Monday night. It was one of those moments you couldnt plan any better.

My brother and I are pretty close. We dont talk every day, but we probably talk once a week. We dont talk about football a lot. We talk about family. We talk football enough with everybody else. I just talked to him two or three days ago after he had his knee surgery. He asks about the girls, I ask him how things are going with him, how he just got married in July. Weve always been close. Youre probably never as close as you are when youre younger, because youre in the same house all the time. He stays out on the East Coast now that hes with the Jets. And Im either here or in Michigan. So were not as close since we dont see each other as much as we used to maybe once a year.

My parents got divorced when we were kids, and she ended up remarrying. So while we were growing up, most of the time it was just my dad, Kris and me. My dad his name is Darome taught me so much about being a dad and the most important thing is just being there. One of the reasons I am the way I am with my kids now is how he was there with us. You see how important that is. So many kids grow up with you and they dont have dads around, and you see how that affects them.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
three or four dogs? He doesn't know how many dogs he has? lmao
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago

three or four dogs? He doesn't know how many dogs he has? lmao

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

House full of females, is like war. Just keep your head down, and agree.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (12h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (12h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (15h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (16h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (19h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (20h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
31m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.