Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Web Page Name 

This week, its backup quarterback Matt Flynn, who talks about growing up in football-crazy Texas, his Broadway-acting sister, how winning the 2007 BCS championship changed how people view him and what its like going to Mardi Gras.

[img_r]http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/44/1835/flynnbcs.jpg[/img_r]I drive a 2007 GMC Yukon. I got it my third year in college. My dad bought it for me. He told me it was the last car he was going to buy me. Its got 50,000 miles on it. Thats all I need. Gets me from A to B.

I have about 10 shows I record on my DVR on cable. I used to have TiVo. Its tough to rank em. Id say my top four are 24, The Sopranos, Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia thats a great show, by the way and The Family Guy. Entourage is off right now, but Id say thats my fifth one. I dont have an entourage though. My dog is my entourage.

My three favorite bands are Pearl Jam, O.A.R. and Kings of Leon. Im big on the classic stuff, too, though. I love Led Zeppelin. I could listen to them all day. I like the Stones, the Beatles I listen to them a lot. But mainly those three. When I was growing up, we used to listen to oldies a lot, oldies stations that played like The Turtles and stuff like that. But I guess in college, I really got into the classics and started listening to everything.

I listen to a lot of country music, but its not mainstream country. Its a genre called Texas Country. Its stuff a lot of people havent heard. Its a little less pop and mainstream. Im from Texas, and Im not a big fan of most of the stuff that comes on the radio. Its a little too catered to pop culture. I like some stuff, but not all of it.

Im a movie guy. My top three would be The Shawshank Redemption, Boondock Saints and Gladiator youve got to throw that in there. And Old School. But Shawshank is probably my all-time favorite. I like Morgan Freeman; I like anything he does. Tim Robbins is so good in it. And I just like the story. I like how its set a long time ago.

Ive never had a job. Ever. My parents told me when I was in high school that they would help buy me the nick-nack things without a job if I worked out all the time. My job was to get a scholarship. And I did.

My parents went to every game of my college career at LSU except one. Even when I wasnt playing. In five years. It was after Hurricane Katrina. It was the second game of the season, the game got moved to Monday night. My dads an attorney, and he had to be in court. It was great. Im very fortunate and privileged that I have parents that are not only willing to do that but able to do that they had the freedom in their jobs to do that. They went through some rough years, wanting their son to play. It was kind of tough on them for awhile. But we got through it and everything worked out my senior year.

One thing my parents taught me was to never quit on anything. When I was growing up, anything I committed to do whether it be piano lessons, karate, anything they never let me quit. I remember wanting to quit karate, and they made me fulfill my commitment and finish it. That was one of the things they instilled in me, and thats what was always expected of me. I guess I never thought anything of it. Also, not to get real uptight or nervous about anything. They always told me, Dont look back on anything, dont have any regrets, just look forward. Most people in my family are like that. Thats how my dad is. My mom not as much, but my dad is real even-keeled.

I have two older brothers and two older sisters. Im the youngest. Both my brothers played golf in college. The time I spent on the football field and baseball field, they spent on the golf course growing up. Theyre phenomenal golfers. I always try to beat em, but I cant. Adam played at Baylor for three years, and then he graduated and went to medical school. My other brother Bill played and Navarro Junior College. My one sister, Becca, is a teacher, and my other sister Amanda is a singer/dancer and does stage acting in New York. Her first gig was traveling with Footloose. Then she was in Ragtime, Mamma Mia! in Vegas, and then Wicked in L.A. In Mamma Mia!, she was the understudy for the lead and was in the ensemble, and then she played the lead for awhile, which is awesome. And then in Wicked, she was in the ensemble, and then she was the understudy to the good witch, Glinda. Shes in New York now. She did each of those for about a year. I went to Mamma Mia! in Vegas, which was pretty sweet.

As a kid, I was real competitive. I was also kind of quiet around people I didnt know. I was real outgoing with people I did know. But I was extremely competitive probably to the point where it was extremely obnoxious to people. Id get real mad real easy, had a little bit of a temper. But I had a normal childhood. Nothing crazy.

The worst part of this job is being away from everybody my girlfriend, my good friends back home. Ive never lived by myself or been my myself for this long. When I get done at the stadium, I go home and sit with my dog, my English bulldog, Moose and watch TV. Moose is a year and two months. I got him last season in like October, I got him from Florida. My girlfriend and her family, they had bulldogs, and you have to get those from a good breeder because they have some health problems if you dont.

My girlfriend, Lacey, is the former Miss Louisiana. She just gave up her crown last weekend. I went to see her in the Miss USA pageant in Vegas last spring. Shes an actress, shes done some modeling. Her main gig is acting. I saw her more last year than this year. The last time she was up here was in preseason for the Buffalo game. I saw her when I went home for the bye week, and then shell come up here for Thanksgiving. But shes been busy with acting and the last couple months of being Miss Louisiana, she had a lot of things she had to do. I definitely outkicked my coverage with her. I would definitely confess to that, for sure.

My favorite moment as a Packer is probably the fake punt last year against Chicago. That was a pretty good moment. That was fun. Especially doing it to an old teammate of mine, a friend of mine. He was on the defense pointing and yelling at me Flynns in, its a fake punt! That was pretty sweet.

I wish I was better at golf. Im about a 7 handicap. But its one of those humbling games.

I dont get recognized around here too often, honestly. I get recognized more as being a Packer when Im hanging out with the offensive linemen, and people go, Oh, those are Packers. Unless its places I go a lot, not really Koko, Nakashima, my two places for sushi. A lot of us live in DePere, so we stay around there a lot.

My closest friend on the team is Josh Sitton. We came in together, and were a lot alike. He from the South, and he actually has family from my hometown (Tyler, Texas). One of his good friends back home is the son of the official painter at LSU hes actually pretty famous. So we just had a connection early.

LSU, I love it. I love going back there, I love everything about it. Its different than any other place Ive ever been. Southern Louisiana, the cultures different, the people are different, I loved everything about it. Being a student athlete there, at the time we were there, it was a lot of fun. It was cool. Our bye week, they played Florida, and I went. It was awesome. Its a little bit different for me down there than it is up here. I go back there, and its not like everyone sees me or any other former student-athlete and theyre trying to get autographs or anything like that. People come up to you and they appreciate what we accomplished. A lot of them thank me for staying, because they know I had opportunities to leave LSU after my junior year. Its just really nice. Theyre good fans. Its crazy. I went down there and the game started at like 7:30 or 8 oclock, and we started tailgating at like 11 oclock, and there were 300,000 people on campus and ESPN GameDay was there. It was crazy.

I think Ive learned to be a pretty patient guy. I learned that starting in high school, and it continued through college. My sophomore year in high school, me and my best friend growing up, we both played quarterback. Our freshman year, I was the JV quarterback, he was the freshman quarterback. He beat me out my sophomore year for the varsity quarterback job. And it was a time where and my dad told me this I had to say, either I wanted to be a starter and work for it, or give up and settle for being the backup. I got a personal trainer and worked out before school and after school every day and ended up winning the job. I started my junior year, got scholarship offers after that. And the same thing happened in college. Me and JaMarcus (Russell) signed together, and I just told myself that I was going to keep fighting, keep competing with him. It never really worked out, and I was fortunate enough that he left early for the NFL and I ended up playing in 2007 (and winning the national title).

The spot Im in now, I dont mind waiting my turn. Ive learned how to become a better quarterback when Im not playing just watching. And Ive also learned perseverance. I dont let anything get me down. I dont let what people say get me down, I dont let what happens get me down. If something doesnt go my way, I just work harder. Thats what Ive always done.

Someday, Im going to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. No doubt. I wouldnt think itd be here. My goal, and Ive said this since I got here, was to sit here and learn as much as I can, and I think if anybody comes in the league and doesnt have the goal of being a starter, theyre not here for the right reason. Im extremely happy to be here and get reps and be the backup and learn from these guys, because I had one year in college as the starter. Id like to be the backup here for a few years and see what happens after that.

Im hard-headed. When people tell me I cant do something, it fires me up. Im a really stubborn person.

The key to success is character. My definition of character is doing things the right way when people arent watching. Thats what Ive always believed in. And working hard, not giving up.

I havent really traveled many places. Id like to, but obviously I cant with this job. Ive driven up here I drive back and forth between Baton Rouge and here a couple times, because of my dog. Bulldogs cant breathe real well, so they cant really fly. Its 17, 18 hours. I listen to books on tape. And a lot of time to think. My girlfriend was nice enough to come along the last time I made the drive, and then she flew back down. After she said, Never again.

I never had Denzel Washington come to one of my birthday parties like Ryan Grant. Ive never had anything cool like that happen. But I was the grand marshal of the St. Patricks Day Parade in Baton Rouge one year. That was pretty cool. That celebration is huge. This was after we won the national championship. I have Irish heritage OFlynn, and then we dropped the O when my great-granddad or my great-great-granddad came to America.

Ive been to Mardi Gras. Baton Rouge is 60 miles from New Orleans, so we went there for Mardi Gras and just for a night. The great thing about people down there, theyll find any reason to have a good time. Its fun. Every year I go to the Endymion Ball. Endymion is one of the parades, and its one of the bigger ones. Every parade has a ball, and this one happens to be at the Superdome. Thousands of people dress up and party in the Superdome. Its a lot of fun. Ive been to that the past four years. I did the bead-throwing thing my first couple years. Well probably do that this year. I actually invited a couple guys on the team to come down with me this year. Sitton, Korey Hall and John Kuhn, so far. And maybe their girlfriends.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (4h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (5h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (20h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (20h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (20h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (21h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.