Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Collins waiting for results of back examination

Green Bay - As though the Green Bay Packers didn't have enough to worry about with their injured cornerback position, they now have plenty to be concerned about at safety.

Starters Atari Bigby (hamstring) and Nick Collins (back) are question marks for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Sunday and perhaps beyond.

Bigby appears out for a second straight week and Collins is waiting for test results to see if he injured a disk in his back or just suffered a strain Sunday night against Dallas. Bigby did not practice Wednesday, but Collins was present and able to do enough in the walk-through to list him as a limited participant.

Collins, however, wasn't sure whether he would be available Sunday.

"I'm comfortable I'll be back soon," Collins said. "I don't know when. Whenever the doctors release me. I'm looking forward to this week. I don't know. They haven't talked to me yet."

Collins said the medical staff didn't think there was a disk problem, but based on his condition they decided to conduct tests. Collins had yet to talk to team physician Patrick McKenzie to find out if the injury was more than a strain.

Collins said he hurt his back on the end around play in which receiver Patrick Crayton threw a long pass into the end zone to receiver Terrell Owens. As Collins went up for the ball, Owens reached across the safety's chest and raked him backward, causing Collins to wrench his back.

Six plays later, Collins intercepted Tony Romo in the end zone and returned the ball 61 yards.

"At that time I didn't feel it, but once I started running with the ball in my hand, I could feel the tightness," Collins said.

After giving up a 63-yard completion to Miles Austin in the third quarter, Collins left the game and did not return. Charlie Peprah replaced him and might have to fill in again this week.

As for Rouse, he was at practice but was limited to the walk-through. If he and Collins can't play, then it would be Peprah and Jarrett Bush at safety against the Buccaneers. Bush has been playing mostly safety since the end of training camp.

"I feel we have four very good players there, and Jarrett Bush is natural back there frankly," coach Mike McCarthy said of his safeties. "We're going to rotate all of those guys in and make sure they are ready. Everybody deals with it. Injuries come in different forms and different times of the year, so that's kind of where we are."

Stuck in neutral
[ul]Wide receiver James Jones thought he was over the hump with his right knee after the Detroit game, but he injured it again and looks to be very questionable for Sunday.

"It's tough," Jones said. "I don't want to say I'm good (for Sunday) or say I'm bad. We'll see how it is. I kind of got down on myself a little bit, but I'll be all right. It's just that you go through things (an injury) for the first time you don't know how to react to it."

Jones, who took part in a segment of the walk-through, said he's not going to rush back and wind up hurting the knee again. He said he'll make sure he's 100% before returning.[/ul]

Back at the helm
[ul]Center Scott Wells is back in the starting lineup.

After a warm-up last week in which he practiced but didn't play, Wells was snapping the ball to quarterback Aaron Rodgers at practice. Wells missed the first two games with a pinched nerve in his back and finally appears to be healthy.

"He's great communication-wise, very intelligent," Rodgers said. "He's great being on the same page as me with protection stuff and run game stuff. It will be great to get back with him."

Jason Spitz, who filled in for Wells, moved to right guard, knocking Tony Moll out of the starting lineup. Rookie Josh Sitton practiced but was limited and isn't a candidate to start this week.[/ul]

Surprise, surprise
[ul]Rodgers said he was half asleep watching the television Sunday morning when an ESPN report flashed that negotiations on a new contract for Rodgers had begun and would probably be completed during the bye week.

"I saw it on the bottom (crawl) line," Rodgers said. "I was with my neighbor, and I go, 'Did you see it?' And he said, 'Yeah.' It was news to me."

Rodgers said he has no knowledge of any talks taking place.

"I know it didn't come from my side and I know it didn't come from the Packers," Rodgers said. "I don't know where it came from."[/ul]

Better offer
[ul]Tight end Joey Haynos decided being on Miami' 53-man roster was better than being on the Packers' practice squad.

The 6-8, 268-pound Haynos accepted an offer Tuesday to join the Dolphins and was at practice Wednesday. The Packers liked Haynos a lot, but they didn't have a spot for him on their 53-man roster.

"I had a long conversation with Joe before he left," McCarthy said. "It's unfortunate. You never want to lose a good, young prospect. I thought he had a very bright future here. But he made the decision to go to Miami, and I just wished him the best."[/ul]

Injury report
[ul]Running back Kregg Lumpkin (knee), fullback Korey Hall (knee) and cornerback Charles Woodson (toe) did not practice and tackle Chad Clifton (knees) was limited.

Three Tampa Bay players did not practice because of injury: fullback B.J. Askew (hamstring), receiver Joey Galloway (hamstring) and defensive tackle Ryan Sims (groin). Linebacker Derrick Brooks (hamstring) and guard Davin Joseph (foot) were limited.[/ul]

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
WTF is this, M*A*S*H??

I thought Kregg had a bum hamstring? Now a knee?

"He's great communication-wise, very intelligent," Rodgers said. "He's great being on the same page as me with protection stuff and run game stuff. It will be great to get back with him."

Wow! Either Wells is that damn good or Spitz isn't cutting it at center. Or I'm reading that quote way wrong.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (11h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.